BC350C: BC365CRS Signal boosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

afwolf130

I bought a Uniden BC365CRS scanner to listen to air traffic at an airport. I have an office in the airport building about 100 yds away from the radio tower. Yet we can barely get a signal from the tower. I tried buying a different antenna but it did not work.

I am looking for advice to boost the signal for the scanner. Is there an affordable signal booster that I can use, or a better antenna than the one that comes with it? The scanner sits directly next to a window with the antenna straight up next to a gap in the window. I don't want to spend more than $25 since at that point, it would just be better to buy a better scanner. Any advice is appreciated.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Another question would be where is the actual transmitting antenna for the tower? If it is blocked (by terrain or structure) from your location, getting the signal will be more difficult. ATC antennas are typically set for great coverage of the sky, but no regard for ground coverage. (Ground control antennas are, however, positioned so as to provide RF coverage over all runways and taxiways.)

ScanRite

Premium Subscriber

afwolf130

I did take the antenna off and it did not help. The airport antenna is about 100 yards north of my positon. It is not blocked since I can see it from my window. There is some eleavation differences, but it shouldn't be a problem. The airport fbo building I am in has a radio that they listen to inside, my school just wanted one for our office since we send students up in the air solo and have to monitor the radios.

I like that amplifier but if I'm going to spend $40, I may as well just buy a different scanner that is better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If the tower transmitter is only 100 yards away with a clear line of sight, then you definitely don't need a preamp. Your problem is that the tower is overloading your receiver when it transmits. A scanner with a better receiver that can handle strong signals without going deaf is probably your best bet.

afwolf130

So it's not because the scanner is indoors? The building has metal siding and I thought maybe that is what the problem is. I put the scanner in the window with the antenna against the window. Is there any way an antenna mounted outside the window would help?

techman210

If the transmitting antenna is that far away, the metal building should not affect it too much.

I would think the radio is either:

A) Bad
B) is getting overloaded by a local FM broadcast transmitter or
C) Getting jammed by local sources of noise - computers, routers, etc.

Try turning off everything electronic - including fluorescent lamps and see what happens.

JamesO

You sure the scanner front end is not already damaged/fried? Can the scanner monitor NOAA Weather broadcast?

What happens if you walk outside with the radio? What happens if you monitor from 3 miles from the airport?

What happens if you put in Commercial Aircraft frequencies and monitor them from a differnet location?

KD4UXQ

So it's not because the scanner is indoors? The building has metal siding and I thought maybe that is what the problem is. I put the scanner in the window with the antenna against the window. Is there any way an antenna mounted outside the window would help?

I would suspect the window has a metallic tinting. I would not suspect 100 yards away would desensitize the receiver or damage the RF transistor. Most air band transmitters are no more than 50 watts with an ERP much less than that due to feed line losses. I would certainly try the scanner outside the building to verify it works ok. Are you sure that is a transmit antenna nearby, or is it a receive antenna. They are separate unless it is the antenna for the multiband transceiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.