• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TRBO XPR 6580 Programming Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

daugherh

Hi all. I have done my research and cannot find a definitive answer.

Here's the current way our 6580's work.

We are a combined school bus lot that covers two areas. The districts "4" areas each have their own Talk Group on our TRBO system. Two of the areas are in individual locations and so their respective radios and supervisor radios stay clicked to that TG unless the supervisors need to switch over to talk to another area.

At our lot, our supervisor's 6580s have the following (an example as I don't remember the exact locations.)

Channel Selector Knob Position | TG

1 | Area A
2 | Area B
3 | Area C
4 | Area D
5 | "Scan"

Our lot covers (uses) both Areas C and D. Currently when our supervisors are switched to the "Scan" channel, that "channel" is assigned a RX group that has both Area C and Area D talk groups in the list. When they need to answer a call that comes in or talk to someone, they have to rotate their knob to the correct position for the area.

What they would prefer would be how our old analog system was and they just push their PTT and answers the last used "group" within say 5 seconds.

As far as I know, this is not possible with the SCAN RX list with both TG IDs installed. Is there a way I could change their radio's programming (I have the CPS) to do what they want and just leave their radios on the "scan" group or leave scan turned on to where only those two groups are being scanned and answer the last used TG within say that 5 seconds before the radio resumes scanning.

We are well aware that if they need to initiate the call they would still have to select the proper group, but when monitoring both groups sometimes they miss which one they need to turn to and have to wait to be called again.

I apologize this was long, but wanted to try and clearly convey my question. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

N1GTL

Database Admin
Unless I missed it, you do not mention what kind of system you have. Single site, single repeater? IPSC, Cap+, Linked Cap+?

It makes a difference on how you'd set it up.

daugherh

Unless I missed it, you do not mention what kind of system you have. Single site, single repeater? IPSC, Cap+, Linked Cap+?

It makes a difference on how you'd set it up.

I just looked at the code plug I had pulled from one of the radios. It appears to be Capacity+ with 4 entries in the "channel pool" setting so would that make in a Linked Cap+? That part I'm not 100% but it's either Cap+ of Linked Cap+.

N1GTL

Database Admin
I just looked at the code plug I had pulled from one of the radios. It appears to be Capacity+ with 4 entries in the "channel pool" setting so would that make in a Linked Cap+? That part I'm not 100% but it's either Cap+ of Linked Cap+.

4 entries in the channel pool can be a single site capacity plus with 4 repeaters or it can be LCP with 2 sites with 2 repeaters at each site or 4 sites with 1 repeater at each site. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the tree in the left pane and look under CAPACITY PLUS > VOICE. There will be one entry for every site. That will tell you how many sites there are. If there is only one listed, it is single site CP.

Either way, your old system probably had "talkback" scan enabled. Capacity+ can have a "flexible receive list", which is almost like scanning but you can only scan talkgroups that are part of your system. You can also have a RX Group List which is similar but the flexible list can be turned on and off. The RX Group List is always on. I don't believe either give you that "talkback" ability that you had on your old analog system.

daugherh

4 entries in the channel pool can be a single site capacity plus with 4 repeaters or it can be LCP with 2 sites with 2 repeaters at each site or 4 sites with 1 repeater at each site. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the tree in the left pane and look under CAPACITY PLUS > VOICE. There will be one entry for every site. That will tell you how many sites there are. If there is only one listed, it is single site CP.

There is one entry under VOICE with 4 members so it is a single site CP. Even though I won't really be able to do what they are looking for I appreciate your explanation of it all. I still managed to learn something about the way C+ and LC+ work!

Status
Not open for further replies.