TAC channels can be added?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron351

Feed Provider
I know TAC channels are Encrypted can the BCD325P2 add the channels and listen or does this need some type of encrypted board installed to be able to add and listen to the TAC channels?

Attachments

• capture5.jpg
    capture5.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 486

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
You can not monitor ANY encrypted channels on a scanner.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The whole point of encryption is to restrict radio traffic to authorized users, who are given an encryption key. If you don't have the correct key, you will never be able to hear anything other than garbled gibberish.

ron351

Feed Provider
The whole point of encryption is to restrict radio traffic to authorized users, who are given an encryption key. If you don't have the correct key, you will never be able to hear anything other than garbled gibberish.

Ok thank you. I had a feeling there was not going to be a way. Appreciate the explanation
Ron

marksmith

In addition to it not being possible on a scanner, if you did get hold of a radio and somehow crack the encryption code, you would be violating Federal Law.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
One other thing:

Encryption can be turned on and off by the department, and in some cases by the radio user. Even if most transmissions are encrypted, there may be transmissions sent in the clear on occasion.

And sometimes department policies on the use of encryption change.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
One other thing:

Encryption can be turned on and off by the department, and in some cases by the radio user. Even if most transmissions are encrypted, there may be transmissions sent in the clear on occasion.

I don't generally count on this myself; leaving it up to the user can lead to errors with one user encrypted and another in the clear, running the risk of compromising an operation. Many (probably most) departments now "strap" a particular channel or talkgroup encrypted and don't leave an option for the user to turn it on or off. Eliminates a lot of headaches. . .

In addition, while Uniden scanners ignore encryption and resume scanning, for some goofy reason Whistler/GRE models don't; as long as the scanner is stopped on an encrypted channel (driving the user batty with that incessant beeping), anything else going on that isn't encrypted will be missed.

Probably best to just ignore the channels that are confirmed as encrypted unless you're using a scanner that will ignore it.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
There may also be talk groups not listed as encrypted which may carry either. I have listened to a local event channel for over a year in the clear. After I got my Unication G4 it received garbled encrypted traffic on that TG. My Unidens always skipped over it. They were involved in a man hunt so it made sense.

SOFA_KING

Uniden scanners skipping encryption on SCANNING is indeed a good thing. It does allow scanning to "move on" and hear other monitorable traffic. However, skipping encryption on SEARCHING is NOT a good thing. Uniden would serve the searching community better by allowing all Intel to be captured during search. And they would really enhance searching if they offered an option to bypass any analog signals without coded squelch. Of course all access codes and ID numbers need to be displayed and recordable.

Whistler is the only game in town to search encrypted traffic for Intel gathering, but hangs on encrypted traffic while scanning. Could it be patent issues limiting the obvious preferred operation? Maybe. So I search with Whistler scanners, and scan with Uniden scanners. If pattents are in the way of progress, I do wish both brands would settle on a trade agreement to make both better at searching and scanning.

Phil

Ubbe

Someone have entered info that Schenker uses basic privacy, that's standard motorola. That information must be incorrect then and should be removed.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.