• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tytera MD 9600

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
OK got my MD9600 in the mail! Whipped up a codeplug NO JOY!

This radio just does NOT want to program. Tried a BASIC analog repeater only NOPE.

I hope TYT corrects this problem ASAP

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Go to this link. New firmware and CPS software to fix problem.

TYT MD-9600 Firmware Update Available

Got an Email from the vendor. Fixed the issue! Did have one thing, the new software will read my MD2017 codeplug and load into the radio but it locks up the radio. Went back to the original MD9600 codeplug I started with and all works well.

It isn't just a firmware update it is also a software update!

eaf1956

Feed Provider
OK so now that the 9600's are working anyone have an issue with the RSSI indication of Signal Strength? My MD 2017 shows 2 bars on the local repeater the MD9600 Has NO bars. I thought they did away with the signal strength indication then I did a simplex test with the 2017 and had about 3-4 bars on the 9600 sitting right next to it!

Did notice CH A shows on the left side and CH B shows on the right side. Don't get any indications on repeaters. Must be super tight RSSI settings.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There is no standard calibration for signal bars vs dBm vs RSSI numbers. So comparing signal bars is not useful. Different models have a different number of bars in the signal strength display, and are not calibrated the same.

ke6upi

Tx Problems

Hello Everyone, I received my 9600 two days ago. I can't make a repeater about 30 miles away. But my MD-380 can. I have a MMDVM-DMR repater at home. If I go about 2 blocks. I can't open the repeater with my new 9600. But my MD-380 on low power can.

Anyways if anyone has any ideas. Please let me know. I did update to v3.30. I also used a blank copeplug and started new.

David

mancow

Database Admin
Try separating A and B side by frequency or just don't program the B side. It seems that if both sides are using the same frequency range this happens.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I did update to v3.30. I also used a blank copeplug and started new.

Where did you find 3.30? I don't see it via buytwowayradios, any of the Facebook groups, or the TYT website.

As far as I'm concerned this radio is an absolute disaster right now. Mine, barring some miraculous and fast arriving firmware update, is going to be returned.

mancow

Database Admin
I saw on facebook that there is a hidden adjustment menu if you use CTRL and t.

I'm just now looking at what all is there.

Last edited:

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Where did you find 3.30? I don't see it via buytwowayradios, any of the Facebook groups, or the TYT website.

As far as I'm concerned this radio is an absolute disaster right now. Mine, barring some miraculous and fast arriving firmware update, is going to be returned.

ON TYT's facebook page they have a 9/8 zip file for the 9600 which has the 3.30 firmware in it.

Edit: Don't try 3.30 firmware it is worse than 3.29. Locks up the radio upon a key or two.

Last edited:

KC1UA

Database Admin
I wound up finding it but didn't upload it after finding out that it does pretty much nothing to solve the current mess that this radio is. Interesting that it's posted on a Facebook page and not on their actual website.

I will hang in for a few more days, but I have an avenue to return mine for a refund if I decide to. I got through a DMR net relatively unscathed this evening although at one point it took several attempts to be admitted to the repeater I was using, one of the many current bugs.

I've been an early adopter of scanning/communications equipment before, and most have gone well, but I must say out of the gate this is the most incomplete piece of gear I have ever been privy to using as an unofficial beta tester for the company. :D

KC1UA

Database Admin
My issues have for the most part not been programming related with one exception. I'll try to list as many issues I've found.

• Mic backlight stays on all the time, meaning when the radio is powered down. :confused:
  • Annoying popping noise at the end of each DMR transmision.
  • Admit to repeaters is marginal and works when it feels like it, it seems. This is NOT a signal related issue as I can access the repeater with a 5W HT connected to the same external antenna without issue, every time.
  • Several seconds delay, so far randomly, on received DMR transmissions. I see them on Netwatch long before the audio passes through the radio.
  • Occasional incorrect talkgroup display.
  • Wonky volume levels. Wonky being a technical term that translates into "bunged up", very short throw between soft and LOUD.
  • CPS software crashes 50% of the time I try to upload a codeplug, my only programming issue as I'm used to the layout of this type of CPS.
  • Stations with lower audio are in there but hardly intelligible, must be AGC issue.
  • Up arrow goes to next lower channel, not higher, personal gripe I guess. If I keep it I'll get used to it.
  • There's more, but my brain (what's left of it) is entering shut-down mode at this point.

The company I bought it from (buytwowayradios) agreed to allow me to return it if I chose to even though their return policy seems to indicate otherwise. The person I spoke with by phone agreed with me that this radio may not quite be ready for prime time. It made me wonder why they are selling them in the first place, but that question aside I've had a good experience with them.

I don't mind "getting what I pay for" with the $86.99 Radioddity HT, but at $359.99, despite the potential feature-set of this one, it's far from ready for the real world. IMHO of course.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Most of those are actually addressable with firmware updates, except for the CPS crashing.

KC1UA

Database Admin
Most of those are actually addressable with firmware updates, except for the CPS crashing.

Really...what version of firmware would you suggest? I am at the latest "working" one, which is referred to in the radio as 3.029 and elsewhere as 3.29. There is a 3.30 (3.030) version out there, but reports indicate that it does not fix ANY of the problems I have listed and in fact causes the radio to lock up under certain circumstances.

So if you have the magic firmware please feel free to share. :confused:

mancow

Database Admin
The popping and audio taper can be fixed with hardware mods. It requires a .1 capacitor on the audio amp and a 1k resistor across the volume pot pins. I've done both and they work.

The failure to admit seems to be fixed when only one bank is programmed or if the two sides are separated (vhf/uhf).

Status
Not open for further replies.