Talkgroups updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

bee

What does Talkgroups updated mean?

If Talkgroups are updated ,should I update my Home Patrol 2, with the RadioReference database?

Thanks

marksmith

For an HP2, the radio reference database is the database that gets updated in Sentinel each Monday with any changes or additions.

If talkgroups in a system have been updated, and this is a system that you monitor, depending on your radio and how it's programmed, means a few things.

1. If you are scanning using full database, if you update the database in Sentinel and then update the radio these new talkgroups will be scanned.

2. If you are scanning favorites lists, you would need to update those msnually. Updating the database does not do this automatically.

Manually add them individually to favorites list, or delete system from favorites list and re-append it back from full database after updating it.

If you have not made any special programming changes like modifying descriptions from the database or similar, you can just use the re-append method.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Last edited:

bee

But if a few talk groups have been updated in this area --- is that a reason to update my HP 2 with the Radio Reference database?

I don't usually update my Home Patrol but about once a month.

If I don't update my HP 2 will I possibly miss some conversations?

I understand that the updated Talk Groups will not be in the Radio Reference Data base until Monday

Thanks

marksmith

It's hard to answer your question without knowing the system and what the new talkgroups are.

Once a month is generally plenty to pick up changes unless you have a new or developing system that you are following.

I probably do it less frequently than that, but I do follow RR and since I scan favorites lists in my radios, if a new talkgroup pops up that I am interested in, I will just manually add it to a favorites list.

Also as info, if you are using favorites lists and are scanning a particular system using favorites lists, and use the search option, you will hear new talkgroups that become active, whether they are in the database or not. You just won't see a description of what it is.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

smithken

Premium Subscriber
I use favorite lists for all of my monitoring and because of that it has probably been 2 or 3 years since I've updated the database. Also the talkgroups I monitor haven't changed for a long time. If I didn't use favorite lists exclusively then I would be keeping the database up to date.

mickh

Bee. I'm retired here, 4 years. And, yes I update my
data base on all my scanners here. It's a Monday thing
for some of us who don't seem to have enough to keep
us busy. I'm in W.PA. The systems are changing here.
so, I like to keep up. If your in an area that doesn't seem
to change too often, then maybe every other week. Other
wise, your prob. cool on main data base.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I use ID Search in all my favorite lists. If any new talkgroups are added, I will see them as Unknown, and know that it's time to update.

troymail

Silent Key
What does this mean? Is that a reason to, update my scanners?

Where did you see it?

Most systems are not "static" and never changing - even more so when they first come online. I know of a county system that has more or less been in place for 25 years and they "re-purposed" a large group of talkgroups in the last year - same TGIDs - just changed how they are using them.

Depending upon where you saw that message, it sounds like there were some talkgroups added/updated (TG usage, name, etc.). None of your existing programming/favorities lists, etc. will be automatically changed/updated (except possibly the Sentinel "Full Database" - assuming you copied that to your radio and use it)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Is that a reason to, update my scanners?

Short answer: yes.

You should update your programming on a regular basis because radio systems are constantly changing, and your scanner will only work well if the programming data accurately reflects the current state of the system(s) you're scanning.

bee

Yes I did! And I still don't understand.

According to the database none of the "DEC" talkgroups have changed. All the ID's are the same.

This is in Tishomingo county Mississippi.

troymail

Silent Key
Yes I did! And I still don't understand.

According to the database none of the "DEC" talkgroups have changed. All the ID's are the same.

This is in Tishomingo county Mississippi.

Looks like someone is changing something on lots of talkgroups in that system... All of the talkgroups for that county have been "touched" in some way within the last 24 hours.

Attachments

• tish.jpg
    tish.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 151

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Threads merged. Please don't start multiple threads asking the same question.

Status
Not open for further replies.