Washoe P25 testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidshare

I've been watching the P25 testing off and on. Sometimes there's nothing there but today appears to be back. I think "Svc" in the last column is the service type, 4 means proprietary encryption. I think. Unitrunker isn't the easiest thing to use. See attached screen cap. Trunking control channel is 769.35625.

Attachments

• WashoeP25.jpg
    WashoeP25.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 367

kidshare

Right now it appears only to be testing. Check the group IDs on the right window. There is one ID 31592 that gets most of the activity then the others appear to be numbers on the high end from 65536 on down with one transmission each. In lower left you can see a variety of source IDs, I think those are radio IDs, and in the middle are target ID which I though would be talk groups. Don't know much more than this. It looks like there might be talk based on how the channels light up in the upper left. There really isn't much activity. I looked at this in late July and then went back to check on it and there was no activity at all for a couple weeks.

I don't have software that decodes P25 Phase 2. I guess OP25 does it but that's linux and I'm not looking forward to setting that up.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a digital scanner. If these are going to be encrypted then there's no use in dropping $200-$500 for a Pro 668 or TRX-1. I wonder, though if some of the groups might end up in the clear on the simulcast. I noticed there is some limited digital activity on the regular EDACS frequencies.

com501

The P25 Phase 2 traffic will be AES with LLA. No decode without authorized user handshake. You'll need an APX or an XG100.

kidshare

Seems to me Washoe will have to maintain some compatibility with older systems on simulcast. I don't think they budgeted that much for new radios for everyone.

KG7PBS

Or an Beautiful XL-200 with all the carvings. lets hope some of the new P25 Phase 2 System will be in the Clear

com501

Seems to me Washoe will have to maintain some compatibility with older systems on simulcast. I don't think they budgeted that much for new radios for everyone.

Almost everyone already has Harris radios that are 700 ready, even the National Guard and airport have changed up already.

cinsu

Greetings Reno folk,

I am currently visiting from Oregon and had seen periodic communications about a P25 system in Nevada and/or Reno. As I was listening to the current EDACS system I heard some traffic from NHP that sounded somewhat digital. I decided to do a scan on 700mhz and stumbled upon this system y'all were talking about last year. It looks as though it is getting more active, I'm receiving traffic on

I only monitored for about 10 minutes but will be turning it on again later today. 30289 has by far been the most active. According to the data in UniTrunker it is P25 Phase 2 traffic with no encryption. I picked up 4 different radio IDs on 30289 which implies that this talkgroup may not just be a patch at this point.

I only have one scanner with me that is not Phase 2 capable so I'm only able to monitor the traffic via unitrunker.

KG7PBS

So for now on there will be more users on the new System as the EDACS has no more Lids. there is a lot that will happen in the next year. the State has picked Harris to go with on P25 P2.

kidshare

That's why I've held off on purchasing a P2 scanner for now, I want to see what happens first before I drop $hundreds. There isn't much P2 around Reno to justify the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.