• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2 scanners, 1 antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
So I just picked up a used WS1095 on whistlers sale to install in my car and right now I use a WS1080. I want to be able to use the 1080 and the and 1095 together on occasion and was wondering what’s the most cost effective way to use 1 antenna. The 1095 will be permanently installed with the 1080 coming and going on occasion.

I know ideally I should use a multicoupler but they look insanely expensive so I was going to try just a splitter first. I was thinking of splitting the antenna right before it connects to the 1095, then running a pigtail/jumper to where the 1080 sits. I know this isn’t ideal but I hope it works. I mainly listen to UHF/VHF/800 public safety.

What do you guys think?

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
I don’t think I’ll have a problem. The signals in my area are pretty strong and it’s flat land for 60 Miles in any direction. Is there anything I should do to the cable going to my portable when I’m not using it? Maybe use some sort of terminator? I don’t plan on using both often so I was just going to curl up the second cable and stuff in under a seat.

kmi8dy

scanner master is a rip off,. my thoughts only, lots and lots of them on amazon. they have a turk thats discontinued for about 10 bucks made from billet aluminum. i have 3 and work very good.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I don’t think I’ll have a problem. The signals in my area are pretty strong and it’s flat land for 60 Miles in any direction. Is there anything I should do to the cable going to my portable when I’m not using it? Maybe use some sort of terminator? I don’t plan on using both often so I was just going to curl up the second cable and stuff in under a seat.

I haven't noticed any difference between a splitter or multicoupler being terminated or not, that includes this splitter. You can just leave the cable hanging, it shouldn't affect the other radio.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
I haven't noticed any difference between a splitter or multicoupler being terminated or not, that includes this splitter. You can just leave the cable hanging, it shouldn't affect the other radio.

Good to know. I’ll try to update this thread once it’s all set up.

twjr80

Feed Provider
I currently have two scanners in the vehicle and am using a Larsen 150/450/800 antenna for both. All I am using is a t-connector. Reception on VHF, UHF, and 800MHz is excellent on both scanners.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
I’m think that’s what I’ll go with then. I hope to get a second whistler for my car and have both of them running. I just have to figure out where to stash them. I drive a little Ford Fiesta, and I’m thinking either under the front seats or in the trunk but I’m afraid of the heat.

My ultimate goal is two scanners, a HAM rig and CB but their isn’t much room in the car.

gonefishn1

scanner master is a rip off,. my thoughts only, lots and lots of them on amazon. they have a turk thats discontinued for about 10 bucks made from billet aluminum. i have 3 and work very good.

I'm not finding it on Amazon. Is that a Turk brand splitter ?? With BNC connectors?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Those TV splitters and distribution amps usually work pretty well for scanners if you can deal with the connector issues properly. They are often an inexpensive way to get where you are going. While I prefer the Stridsberg and other devices intended for two-way and scanners, I have often used TV antenna stuff with good results.

For a while I used an 8-port TV distribution amp and had some custom cables with F connectors at one end and BNC on the other. It worked very well until I replaced it with a Stridsberg. Since I have a compression tool for the connectors and a 1000 foot box of RG-6 I was able to make the cables to fit and not need adapters.

Without such tools one will need to use adapters, and each item in line will create some loss as will a passive splitter itself. Most of the time however the loss will be negligible, not enough to prevent you from hearing your primary targets.

RFI-EMI-GUY

So I just picked up a used WS1095 on whistlers sale to install in my car and right now I use a WS1080. I want to be able to use the 1080 and the and 1095 together on occasion and was wondering what’s the most cost effective way to use 1 antenna. The 1095 will be permanently installed with the 1080 coming and going on occasion.

I know ideally I should use a multicoupler but they look insanely expensive so I was going to try just a splitter first. I was thinking of splitting the antenna right before it connects to the 1095, then running a pigtail/jumper to where the 1080 sits. I know this isn’t ideal but I hope it works. I mainly listen to UHF/VHF/800 public safety.

What do you guys think?

Sinclair Radio Labs 4 Port 120 to 860 MHz Receiver Multicoupler | eBay

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
If you just use a two way splitter, you're only going to lose 3 dB of signal strength to each radio. Unless you're listening to a marginal signal you won't even notice a difference.

It's fine for a receiver. But definitely not recommended for a transmitter.

I'd use a splitter and be done with it. Cheap and simple.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
I’m going with just a cheap splitter off of Amazon. I live in central California where everything is flat so signals travel for miles. With just a simple dual band portable antenna, I can hear just about everything for 80 miles in any direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.