BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Features not working, what am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-542

Premium Subscriber
I've been through the manual, and the easier to read manual available online, and I can't get some features of the scanner to work. Specifically, adjusting the decode level down to a manual 8, or enabling attenuation on the scanner. I pressed CHAN to hold on to a Talkgroup on the Cabarrus NC Simulcast from the Charlotte UASI system, and hit function, then pressed 4 and it gives me an error beep.. What am I doing wrong exactly..? I need to enable the attenuation on this due to the issues of Simulcast Distortion, but it seems I can't adjust ANY parameters via the scanner, or the software.

rs16

Premium Subscriber
The multiple threads about people having difficulty operating the 436 hopefully will serve as feedback to Uniden to include design elements that make these scanners easier to operate in the future. The ZIP programming is easier, but everything beyond that is tough to understand if you don't have an electronics aptitude.

I do not want an HP, but I had a 436 2 years ago and then sold it shortly after getting it because I had trouble understanding it. I felt like I had a lot of money tied up in it and then panicked a little and sold it. I am considering getting one again but there is still that fear of being able to understand it well enough to get the most out of it.

The complexity makes participating in the hobby frustrating.

marksmith

You just need to stick to it a little.

Have been scanning for 3 decades or so, and I find these database radios the easiest to program (trunk systems) than anything before.

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I've been through the manual, and the easier to read manual available online, and I can't get some features of the scanner to work. Specifically, adjusting the decode level down to a manual 8, or enabling attenuation on the scanner.
You can adjust the Digital Threshold or set Attenuation on either the scanner, or in Sentinel.

For the Digital Threshold settings, such as "manual" and "8", press Menu
Then scroll to and press "E" (Yes) to select Manage Favorites.
that gives you the Favorites lists loaded on your scanners memory card.
Scroll to the list you want to tweak & select it (pressing E)
Next, Select Review/Edit system

For a Trunked system, scroll to the system you need and press E to select it.
From the list of options once you select the system, scroll to and select Edit Site
Scroll to the site you need to change (if there is more than one), then press E to select it
In the list of options on the Edit Site screen, you'll see Set Attenuator, Digital Threshold Mode, and Digital Threshold Level. Select any of these you wish to change, and press E to select that option.

Make your changes, then either press System (or <FUNC>+<SYSTEM> to resume scanning, or press Menu to to back up one screen (to tweak another Site on the same system), or continue to press Menu until you get back to the point where you can either select a different System to modify, or back up further to get to the screen to select a different Favorites List.

For a Conventional system, select the Favorites list that contains the system of interest.
Next, scroll to the system, pressing E to select it.
To change the digital threshold settings, scroll to and select System Options
The Digital Threshold Mode and Level settings are on the System Options screen.

To change Attenuation settings on a Conventional frequency, that setting is made on the Channel itself.
Select the System that needs to be changed.
Once you've selected the System, next select Edit Department
Scroll to and select the Department which contains the specific frequency (channel) that you want to change Attenuation.
Once you've selected the Department, select Edit Channel
Scroll to and select the specific channel and then change by selecting Set Attenuation from the menu.

Once you're done with that frequency, back up as much as necessary to get to the next Channel or Department that you want to tweak. If done, just resume scanning.

Be sure that you either use Sentinel to "read" from the scanner so that the lists on the scanner match the lists in Sentinel, or make the same changes in Sentinel.

Of course, you could always make all your changes in Sentinel then write the updated list(s) to the scanner. In Sentinel, access the Favorites List editor, and select the list you wish to change. On the edit screen, for Trunked systems select the site(s) you want to modify, then click on the Options tab for the site to change Attenuation or Digital Threshold settings.

For Conventional systems, the Digital Threshold settings are accessed via the System's Option tab.

I pressed CHAN to hold on to a Talkgroup on the Cabarrus NC Simulcast from the Charlotte UASI system, and hit function, then pressed 4 and it gives me an error beep.. What am I doing wrong exactly..? I need to enable the attenuation on this due to the issues of Simulcast Distortion, but it seems I can't adjust ANY parameters via the scanner, or the software.
You cannot set Attenuation on a specific Talkgroup. Which is why the <FUNC>+<4> did not work. It does work when holding on a specific Conventional channel.

325xia

Premium Subscriber
The multiple threads about people having difficulty operating the 436 hopefully will serve as feedback to Uniden to include design elements that make these scanners easier to operate in the future. The ZIP programming is easier, but everything beyond that is tough to understand if you don't have an electronics aptitude.

I do not want an HP, but I had a 436 2 years ago and then sold it shortly after getting it because I had trouble understanding it. I felt like I had a lot of money tied up in it and then panicked a little and sold it. I am considering getting one again but there is still that fear of being able to understand it well enough to get the most out of it.

The complexity makes participating in the hobby frustrating.

I had a real difficult time in the beginning with my BCD436. I never gave up. But for me, it is much easier to make adjustments through Sentinel and upload them to the scanner. Trying to Program on the Scanner itself is tedious and a lot of turning and button pushing on the rather small font screen. Love this Scanner now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.