WS1080: Question re: buying replacement parts directly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
So here is my question. I am looking for the WS1080 Face Plate Cover and when I called parts they said they don't sell directly , its just a simple part and nothing complicated compared to an inner part replacement.

The person I talked to said that I would have to send the Scanner to them at my cost and that they can install the Face Plate for $129.99 parts and labor.

All I need is the part and install myself since its very simple to do and what they asked me to pay was excessively high to say the least.

Is there a different place online that I can simply order directly and have it shipped ???

Whistler Wendy any input on this? Thanks in advance

Last edited:

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
I would like to know also. I called Whistler some months ago asking about purchasing a new display window/front case etc, and was told there were no replacement parts available, I really like my 1080 but knowing this, my next scanner purchase will probably be from the other guys.

Swipesy

I agree that $129.99+ shipping is excessive. However, it is not a simple procedure. Beginning with the PSR-800 opening the case on the radio is easy but putting it back together is not. Unlike the PSR-500 the 800 /1080 case electronics are very delicate. There are pins between the face plate and the body of the scanner which are intertwind with wires and the pins are easily bent or broken off if you don't perfect aline the pins with the body. My guess is Whistler does not want owners taking the radio apart, breaking the pins and then sending to them. I have first hand experience about bending the pins. Of course some owners are adept at repair but most are not. My 2 cents worth.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
I would like to know also. I called Whistler some months ago asking about purchasing a new display window/front case etc, and was told there were no replacement parts available, I really like my 1080 but knowing this, my next scanner purchase will probably be from the other guys.

One example was Ratshack they had no problem selling any replacement parts directly and also offered installation if needed.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
I agree that $129.99+ shipping is excessive. However, it is not a simple procedure. Beginning with the PSR-800 opening the case on the radio is easy but putting it back together is not. Unlike the PSR-500 the 800 /1080 case electronics are very delicate. There are pins between the face plate and the body of the scanner which are intertwind with wires and the pins are easily bent or broken off if you don't perfect aline the pins with the body. My guess is Whistler does not want owners taking the radio apart, breaking the pins and then sending to them. I have first hand experience about bending the pins. Of course some owners are adept at repair but most are not. My 2 cents worth.

not too bad of a job, handful of screws and de-solder 2 wires to separate the Front plate face completely.

I've done it on a Pro-18 and Pro-668

KE7VJW

Premium Subscriber
I was going to send my PSR-800 in for the update and ask them to replace the window, but not at that price..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jim202

What seems to be the problem here with being able to replace parts yourself. if the vendor can't build a scanner that is easy to service, stop buying it. Tell them that this kind of construction is not acceptable.

Let the market show the vendor that their ways of building the scanners is not acceptable.

If you stop being suckered into buying a non serviceable scanner, the sales will decline and force change.

Just because you have a desire to be want to know what all the public safety agencies are doing all the time is no reason to just throw your hard earned money down the drain with a company that won't listen to their customers.

Stop buying their scanners and save your money and frustrations.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
Beginning with the PSR-800 opening the case on the radio is easy but putting it back together is not. Unlike the PSR-500 the 800 /1080 case electronics are very delicate. There are pins between the face plate and the body of the scanner which are intertwind with wires and the pins are easily bent or broken off if you don't perfect aline the pins with the body.

So all those PSR800 front housings shipped out due to the coating wearing off weren't supposed to be replaced by the end user? Aww crap don't tell on me!

KE7VJW

Premium Subscriber
I did ask for a quote and to upgrade the PSR 800 and replace the window $90.00. I took their offer and I should have it back in a week or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.