Hurricane Irma

Status
Not open for further replies.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
First and foremost, please be safe. If you are in a mandatory evacuation zone, please get out now. Items can be replaced but your life cannot.

For those of you hunkering down for the storm, I figured this would be a good thread (for as long as we have power and/or Internet) to chat. I have my batteries charged up on all my portable and scanners and will have them buzzing away to pass the time and keep updated.

I was here for Wilma and I remember when Palm Beach County Fire Rescue started using an amateur radio repeater because they lost comms (I think the antenna actually blew off the tower). So, if anyone hears frequencies becoming active, please put it out there for others to tune in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
To those here from the sun coast all of you please be safe. For those that are staying stay in the correct place if you do not have the correct place please leave and take shelter. Remember if you do stay it may be 4 to 5 days or more on your own with no help please make sure you are ready and have supplies.

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
First and foremost, please be safe. If you are in a mandatory evacuation zone, please get out now. Items can be replaced but your life cannot.

For those of you hunkering down for the storm, I figured this would be a good thread (for as long as we have power and/or Internet) to chat. I have my batteries charged up on all my portable and scanners and will have them buzzing away to pass the time and keep updated.

I was here for Wilma and I remember when Palm Beach County Fire Rescue started using an amateur radio repeater because they lost comms (I think the antenna actually blew off the tower). So, if anyone hears frequencies becoming active, please put it out there for others to tune in.

You mean the fire dept personal we’re using the repeater or they had traffic relayed by ham operators? Just asking. Lol

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
How to know you're hearing calls relating to evacuations:
Calls concerning disturbances at gas stations.
Calls concerning accidents, many of which will be absurdly stupid.

Check the 800 MHz mutual aid conventional frequencies for radio traffic.

Spec

Here in the HHI area our FD has trained and licensed all their FD Officers as Hams. In addition all the dept. apparatus and stations have 2 mtr radios. Each engine additionally has 1 or 2 portables A complete set of simplex frequencies have been set in a channel plan. All of this is a backup in the event the dispatch system and or 800 system goes down. It is tested annually by Hams to insure it works.

PACNWDude

I spent almost ten years providing emergency commuications services to events such as post Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma. Mostly radio, cell phone extenders, and satellite Internet access, and it still amazes me how many people do not evacuate, causing more problems later on.

That employer is in Houston and is prepping in Miami for a response now. Never will I do this work again, you see the best and worst of society. Like Groundhog Day.

+1 one on evacuation if you are able, and move when you can to a location that does not flood. Makes for interesting radio monitoring, but it is not worth anyones life.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

Does anyone know what 20, 40, and 80 meter HF frequencies are normally active for the state of FL for disaster comms other than the normal 14.325 Hurricane net? Are the county EOC's equipped with HF and is is used? I'm relatively new to the area.

thanks!

n4yek

Hi,

Does anyone know what 20, 40, and 80 meter HF frequencies are normally active for the state of FL for disaster comms other than the normal 14.325 Hurricane net? Are the county EOC's equipped with HF and is is used? I'm relatively new to the area.

thanks!
7268 kHz for evening an night operations for the hurricane net but since yesterday the bands have been dead because of a CME that hit earth from a flare on 4th.

More Hurricane net information here: www.hwn.org and http://www.hwn.org/policies/activationplans.html

Last edited:

tampatracker

I will be monitoring here locally (unless evac is inevitable, will know more on that by tonight) and will be posting here as things progress. SAFETY FIRST!

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Everyone is talking about evacuating and I'm sitting here waiting to see if I actually have to go to the impacted area. As communications officer for an SAR team, I may be taking our mobile command post to..... Well, no one knows yet. It could be anywhere between the Georgia coast and the southern tip of Florida. More than likely, it won't be beyond north Florida. I've got a bag mostly packed and the radios programmed. The satellite dish on the command post is working so we'll have phone and Internet communications. All the radios are working.

I'm happy to help but I'm not anxious to go. At 73, I think I'm getting too old for this.

bharvey2

Everyone is talking about evacuating and I'm sitting here waiting to see if I actually have to go to the impacted area. As communications officer for an SAR team, I may be taking our mobile command post to..... Well, no one knows yet. It could be anywhere between the Georgia coast and the southern tip of Florida. More than likely, it won't be beyond north Florida. I've got a bag mostly packed and the radios programmed. The satellite dish on the command post is working so we'll have phone and Internet communications. All the radios are working.

I'm happy to help but I'm not anxious to go. At 73, I think I'm getting too old for this.

I'm a fair bit younger and still wouldn't relish stepping in to that ring. Safe travels should you need to go, my friend.

brianb777

storm shelter

my self and roommate might need some assistance getting to a shelter here in Daytona beach. we don't have a vehicle or money to get any where safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.