Mobile home park scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike619

I was curious if anyone would know what types of radios or frequency band would staff at a mobile home park use for communications like manager to other staff like grounds?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I would guess that more than likely, they'll be using FRS or GMRS. Possibly MURS.

Most parks are small enough that they wouldn't need anything more elaborate. In some parks I've seen two cans and a string would do it.

mike619

Thanks I will have to check that out. Also quick question when you mentioned GMRS were you refering to the old Dot frequencies now used in GMRS?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Thanks I will have to check that out. Also quick question when you mentioned GMRS were you refering to the old Dot frequencies now used in GMRS?

Whatever they can buy at Walmart.

KB0VWG

We use Gmrs and use the pofung Gt-1 radios and a couple of golf carts also.
We have over 100 Rv sites at our park
When I have some time I would like to place a mobile radio in the golf cart prefer a dual band but the Golf cart causes a lot of interference on vhf.
R & R RV Park - Port Mansfield, Texas
kb0vwg
wqyy385

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
We use Gmrs and use the pofung Gt-1 radios and a couple of golf carts also.
We have over 100 Rv sites at our park
When I have some time I would like to place a mobile radio in the golf cart prefer a dual band but the Golf cart causes a lot of interference on vhf.
R & R RV Park - Port Mansfield, Texas
kb0vwg
wqyy385

....and I think that's great but most park operators are not all that into radios. They just want to find the maintenance man, etc.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Some parks are large enough that FRS or MURS probably won't cut it. Barefoot Bay in Sebastian, Florida has just over 5,000 units. Places like that probably have a Part 90 license so the FCC ULS Search is your friend.

Last edited:

PACNWDude

+1 on what can be bought at WalMart. Worked maintenance for several parks for a short while. They all had blister pack FRS/GMRS radios. Every single one of them.

Recently, I went to a Navy MWR (Morale, Welfare, and Recreation) location, and even they were using blister pack FRS/GMRS radios for facility maintenance.

Still amazes me at times.

DJ11DLN

I was curious if anyone would know what types of radios or frequency band would staff at a mobile home park use for communications like manager to other staff like grounds?
Mobile home parks or RV parks? I have no idea about the latter but in the case of the former, yours must be a whole lot more upscale than they are in my neck of the woods. Around here, there wouldn't even be a "manager" on site and you would hear a whole lot more about what is going on there by just scanning the LE side!:lol:

mike619

Mobile home parks or RV parks? I have no idea about the latter but in the case of the former, yours must be a whole lot more upscale than they are in my neck of the woods. Around here, there wouldn't even be a "manager" on site and you would hear a whole lot more about what is going on there by just scanning the LE side!:lol:

I was speaking about mobile home parks manufactured home parks

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you live in the park, Close Call is probably your best bet.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
What if there is say about 200 homes in the park?

They can be using anything, from FRS,GMRS, business band, DMR or even NXDN, a digital scanner with "close call" as uniden calls it will pick up a signal but not NXDN as current model uniden's do not support it.
Other then that search the fcc data base for a license, if they're using frs there will not be on as it is not needed. If their business is doing everything above board they should have a license for everything else.

mike619

They can be using anything, from FRS,GMRS, business band, DMR or even NXDN, a digital scanner with "close call" as uniden calls it will pick up a signal but not NXDN as current model uniden's do not support it.
Other then that search the fcc data base for a license, if they're using frs there will not be on as it is not needed. If their business is doing everything above board they should have a license for everything else.

Thanks for the info will try that

n1das

If the staff are using radios, you should try to get a good look at one of the radios to identify what they are using. The antenna tells the band they operate on so pay attention to the antenna on any radios spotted.

In an apartment complex I lived in several years ago, the management and maintenance guys were using Motorola CLS series UHF radios. I actually got my hands on one them briefly when I was in the office to drop off a rent check. The radio was laying around on a desk so I got to check it out for a few seconds while the staff was printing up a receipt for me. I'm already familiar with the radio (a business band bubble pack and a POS at that). I was already listening to them on one of the UHF itinerant channels so it wasn't any surprise.

For a small complex, FRS/GMRS and MURS are good places to start. If Part 90 analog business radios are in use, searching 450-470MHz is a good range to search. A larger operation is likely to be licensed so an FCC ULS search is also your friend.

If digital radios are in use, they could be Motorola DTR or DLR series radios on 900MHz. They will work well for a small to medium size complex and will work way better than FRS bubble packs. A large complex might be using DMR on UHF and they might be on a repeater.

There are lots of possibilities so you need to identify what radios are being used to narrow down whether VHF or UHF, simplex or on a repeater, and whether analog or digital. A little bit of RF detective work is required. I like doing this stuff. If it transmitting somewhere in the radio spectrum, I'm usually trying to find it. :)

Good luck.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.