• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CS7000 I/O extended mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCFire11

Hi,

Using the I/O DB25 port on the rear of the unit I have been able to pipe audio into the station allowing personnel inside to hear audio away from the base station.

My goal is to place a desktop microphone inside with PTT to allow personnel to transmit from inside as well. I have the wiring figured out however I had planned to use an old Motorola microphone(we have many of these) connected to the I/O port to solve this problem.

After searching it seems as if Motorola microphones are not compatible with other manufacturers due to PTT being carried on the mic hi line, or something similar to that.

Does anyone have a solution or see any issues with this? How long can a mic be extended from the base station. How about issues with mic gain and matching?

I've got a foothold in this but need some extra guidance.

Thanks

NCFire11

I have been testing some of the Motorola microphones that use the rj45 type plug to see if I could make this work. The expectation was that pressing the PTT button would close the circuit and connect the PTT wire on the rj45 to ground, however it clearly doesn't work this way.

I guess to make this work I'll need to find a desktop mic with a "true" PTT grounding switch?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I would just look for a tone remote. If you just need one channel/talkgroup, then you can get them very cheaply on Ebay. That with a two-channel Tone Remote Adapter and you'd be set. You could run several remotes to different parts of the building using twisted pair. That would give you the ability to have a loud speaker/PTT and a handset with PTT at every remote location.

Extending the mic cable can introduce noise or other problems once you got past a few feet. There is really no limit on the distance you can put a remote. We've ran them many miles away from base stations and they work great.

NCFire11

What are some cheap tone remotes? I know we used to use a L1548 but I am unable to find it. The C100 desk sets are still scattered around the station

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Yep. The C100 is probably the cheapest. They came in 3 different flavors - Tone, DC and Local remotes. I can't remember the model numbers for the DC or the Local, but the 2-channel tone C100 is L1475. You can use the MR200 by CPI for the TRA. Then if you want to add another remote down the road, you can just add the remote to the already in place TRA. I think you can run up to 8 or 16 remotes off of one TRA, but I am talking from memory.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Have you programmed an input IO to be PTT?
I don't have a CS7000 manual in front of me...so I'm not sure if there is an "always PTT" pin, but a lot of Harris stuff needs PTT assigned to an IO so you might want to double check on that.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I can check the CS7000s that we have. I know we have two different types of CS7000s. One is specifically for tone remote and has a tone-remote panel on the front. The other is basically a mobile in the base station case. Harris also makes a digital style remote that looks like a tiny CS7000. It uses a CAN cable to extend the CS7000 functions to other locations. I think it's called a CS721, but I can't remember. I'll have to get back on that one. We've got a bunch of them.

Edit: It is called an SP721.

http://flowercitycommunications.com/product-type/sp721-desktop-controller

Last edited:

gesucks

They also have a couple boxs that convert CAN to fiber. You can mount a Harris mobile or CS7000, and then remote a head long distance via fiber

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
They also have a couple boxs that convert CAN to fiber. You can mount a Harris mobile or CS7000, and then remote a head long distance via fiber

The actual distance this fiber will run is several miles. (not a typo)

I have used the can-to-fiber boxes in hospital er's were the user is in the main floor (or basement level) and the actual radio was atop the building, usually in an elevator equipment room. Ran remote (SP721) or a CH721 head and power supply in the er, convert to fiber, then run the fiber up the elevator shaft to the radio. Worked great.

NCFire11

I still haven't found the tone remote adaptor however as of now I am getting audio from the CS7000 to the C100 remotes in the station by attaching pins 11 and 23 to two of the twisted pair lines. As least we can now get audio in the building where pager coverage is spotty.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
If the CS7000 has the tone remote board inside, you won't need the TRA. Does it have the Tone Remote functions on the left front side that say things like "Intercom" and "Remote?"

NCFire11

If the CS7000 has the tone remote board inside, you won't need the TRA. Does it have the Tone Remote functions on the left front side that say things like "Intercom" and "Remote?"

It doesn't, nor does it have the rj11 jack on the rear of the unit.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Since this sounds like an "official" installation, I suggest that you should contact your city/county's contracted communications provider and inform them that you need this CS7000 to be equipped with the tone remote option and have a tone remote installed as well. There isn't any imaginable reason why this should be handled as a personal/unofficial project and in fact it is extremely unwise, for liability reasons, to be making unauthorized modifications to public safety equipment. Most agencies have a very strict "don't mess with the equipment" policy and well they should.

NCFire11

What a blessing it would be to have a communications provider and not have to do this ourselves!

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
So is the unit in question being used for public safety? Police, fire, or rescue service?

If it is, you MUST have a communications provider, I'd imagine.

In which case, you let the city/county pay the comms provider to do the work. No reason for this to
be something you do out of pocket.

Even if your requirement is for, as an example, a private ambulance service providing transport services
to the city/county under contract, you should still be able to get the county to cover at least some of the costs associated with getting the tone remote system for the CS7000.

jwidgeon

Hi,

Using the I/O DB25 port on the rear of the unit I have been able to pipe audio into the station allowing personnel inside to hear audio away from the base station.

My goal is to place a desktop microphone inside with PTT to allow personnel to transmit from inside as well. I have the wiring figured out however I had planned to use an old Motorola microphone(we have many of these) connected to the I/O port to solve this problem.

After searching it seems as if Motorola microphones are not compatible with other manufacturers due to PTT being carried on the mic hi line, or something similar to that.

Does anyone have a solution or see any issues with this? How long can a mic be extended from the base station. How about issues with mic gain and matching?

I've got a foothold in this but need some extra guidance.

Thanks

How were you able to get audio from the DB25 port? I'm slightly confused on what connector I will need to get audio from the CS7000 to our PA System.

Status
Not open for further replies.