BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Uniden BC15 Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
After connecting the Uniden BC15 speaker to the 436 scanner, I can hardly hear anything from the speaker.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Are you sure you're plugging it into the black 'speaker' jack or the green 'record' jack on the back, or did you plug it into the earphone jack on the front? It should be in the black jack on the back Jack. :)

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
I plugged the speaker connection into the headphone jack which is on top of the scanner.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Oops, my mistake, just woke up from a nap. I though you were talking about the BC536. Your speaker is probably 8 ohms impedance and the earphone jack is high impedance. Perhaps someone can suggest a speaker that will work.

JamesO

The BC15 is the wrong speaker for a handheld scanner because it is not amplified.

Keep in mind the headphone jack on all scanners has a limited audio output when compared to an external speaker jack if the scanner has one.

Most of the Uniden scanner headphone jacks are also stereo not mono, so the proper plug should be used.

Again, for the 436HP you will really want and need an amplified speaker for good audio volume level.

There are a lot of small, rechargeable amplified speakers on the market.

See this - https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tavern/356199-external-speaker-no-increase-volume.html

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
This one is my favorite:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZV6TYQ/

It has a stereo input jack and plenty of volume and clean audio. Due to the 436 audio amplifier design, you need to run the speaker off its batteries or a separate USB wall wart to prevent ground loop issues. Battery life is approximately 30 hours.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
For headphone out devices (like handheld scanners) you must use an amplified speaker. Otherwise, you will get almost no audio out. Headphone out is very small wattage, not enough to drive a full sized speaker (else when you used headphones, the audio level would blast your eardrums out your nose). I'll give you a few minutes to visualize that.

BC23A is the speaker we recommend for handheld scanners (but there are other alternatives, including amplified PC speakers, that would work as well).

garys

Premium Subscriber
If you're using it as a mobile and can find one of the Radio Shack amplified speaker, that's a great option. I used to use one when I had a 396XT which I used in my wife's car when we went on trips.

I don't know if RS still has them, but you can often find them in as new condition at flea markets or on Fleabay.

Status
Not open for further replies.