Icom R-8600 VS AOR AR-DV1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonefishn1

Ok, I'm looking for your thoughts and consideration on why I should buy one or the other.
Looks like the AOR DV1 already covers ALL digital modes while the new Icom R-8600 does not.
Both can be computer controlled.
The AOR is only $1299 vs $2600 Icom
So which one would you buy and why?

prcguy

What's your primary interest for either one? If its certain digital modes the AOR gets that the Icom doesn't then it should be an easy answer. If its mostly for HF then the Icom wins hands down. If VHF/UHF is your thing then the Icom is probably a better performer and it has a real spectrum scope.

I've been thinking this over for quite some time and just ordered the Icom R-8600. I'm not happy that DMR is not included on the Icom but complaints of lousy HF reception and the need for FM trap filters and other things to make the AOR usable swayed me towards the Icom.
prcguy

Ok, I'm looking for your thoughts and consideration on why I should buy one or the other.
Looks like the AOR DV1 already covers ALL digital modes while the new Icom R-8600 does not.
Both can be computer controlled.
The AOR is only $1299 vs $2600 Icom
So which one would you buy and why?

gonefishn1

Thanks prcguy. Of course I want it all, but it seems I cant get it all in 1 radio. I really am leaning toward the 8600 and would like to have all the digital modes but they are not available in the 8600. It seem like I have to get more than one radio to have everything I want.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I've also got to wonder if at some point Icom will include DMR as a firmware update.

But, I'm not encouraged, especially since there was SO much opportunity to improve and upgrade the Icom R-9500 and it barely got any firmware updates whatsoever.

prcguy

I'm getting the 8600 knowing it may never get any new features or firmware upgrades, but they seem to work very well with the current firmware. My Icom 7300 HF rig already got one new firmware upgrade since purchasing, so anything is possible. If a DMR upgrade comes out for the 8600 and it costs $$ I would pay within reason.
prcguy

I've also got to wonder if at some point Icom will include DMR as a firmware update.

But, I'm not encouraged, especially since there was SO much opportunity to improve and upgrade the Icom R-9500 and it barely got any firmware updates whatsoever.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
I'm getting the 8600 knowing it may never get any new features or firmware upgrades, but they seem to work very well with the current firmware. My Icom 7300 HF rig already got one new firmware upgrade since purchasing, so anything is possible. If a DMR upgrade comes out for the 8600 and it costs $$ I would pay within reason.
prcguy

There have been three firmwear upgrades already.
I am sure there are more to come .

Firmware Updates / Software Downloads | Support | Icom Inc

Floridasand

Compare the new AOR AR-DV10 and AOR AR5700D Radios to ICOM R-8600

Hi Everyone,

I have been a member on RR for years but have only posted a few times so if my post is in the wrong place my apologies.

I wanted to let everyone know that during the Japan HAMFEST Sep 2-3, many new radios were introduced that included two that caught my eye; the AOR AR-DV10 and AOR AR5700D receivers. This is AOR's 40th anniversary so they added the DV10 portable and AR5700D base receivers. I own a AR-DV1 and I love it and it has everything digital except for P25 Phase 2. Also it is weak on HF but is still usable.

Can someone tell me how these other two AOR new receivers may compare to the ICOM R8600 other than the waterfall and scope? I was ready to buy a R-8600 but have paused because there are nice new receivers and radios that were introduced at the HAMFEST in Japan that are worth taking a look.

SDR is the future and I am just getting acclimated to all the different ones that are out there.

I look forward to any comments or suggestions. Thanks Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.