Zello App during Irma

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbelter

Download this walkie talkie app either on IOS or Android phones and in event that the cell towers go down.
Either you can create your own group or join the already trending channels on Irma, beats texting or calling..
Remindes me of the old Nextel . Reach out and help someone.share, Irma events .

Last edited:

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Yeah Zello is great, but you really should have Ham Radios as well! Unless you're seriously disabled there is no excuse for not getting your ham license and a few entry-level radios. Just sayin...

ecps92

No Cell towers, No Internet, then No Zello :roll:
Download this walkie talkie app either on IOS or Android phones and in event that the cell towers go down.
Either you can create your own group or join the already trending channels on Irma, beats texting or calling..
Remindes me of the old Nextel . Reach out and help someone.share, Irma events .

blackbelter

Thanks , I am a ham operator however during the storm you can reach or reach out to far more people with this app.
To the above response a bit of positive approach goes a longer way.
so be positive.

ecps92

Yes - the APP won't work without an internet connect, that I am positive about.

Thanks , I am a ham operator however during the storm you can reach or reach out to far more people with this app.
so be positive.

wxwarn285

The Fact is when the storm knocks out power, then the cell phone towers which puts out the majority of the Internet, there will be no way to use this app, the Zillow app is useless without Internet/data. Wifi is useless without power and even if there is power most likely the Internet ran underground would be inundated with water and so it would be out.

I am on a storm chasing team on the Zillow app which works fine when we have data, but the app has many downfalls. This is coming from an amateur radio operator since 2005, get your license.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Airplane mode on your cell is the same as no wifi and no cell signal. Put your cell on airplane mode and try using Zello. Let us know when you reach anyone.

Tracker

Airplane mode on your cell is the same as no wifi and no cell signal. Put your cell on airplane mode and try using Zello. Let us know when you reach anyone.

Incorrect, on the iPhone airplane mode just disconnects your dats/cellular, but you retain the wifi connection

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
so be positive.

He's 'positive' it won't work. :wink: And I agree!

liljake1330

I have a friend down in South Florida who invited me to join Zello today and I was quite impressed. I think we're both on the T-Mobile network because the sound quality was excellent. The downside to Zello is that it asks for a ton of permissions so I'm sure, I'll be getting a ton of calls this week telling me I've won a vacation in the Bahamas!

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Incorrect, on the iPhone airplane mode just disconnects your dats/cellular, but you retain the wifi connection
On my 7 it kills both. Same for my 5S which I still have.

But, to appease the masses, I will change it to "Turn off wifi and cellular on your phone and then fire up Zello. Let us know when you reach anyone."

Happy? Result is still the same: Zello fails when wifi and cell fail.

wbswetnam

Make sure you don't confuse 'Zello' and 'Zillow'. Zello is a communication app, whereas Zillow is a website (and app) which compares home prices. Make sure you install the right app!

ecps92

Incorrect. Airplane mode disconnects both.
You then, can Re-enable the Wifi only, but the Cellular remains connected until you leave airplane mode.

Airplane mode is designed to disconnect ALL transmissions for a reason :roll:

Analogrules

Either way, Zello will NOT work if you have no wifi or cell phone service. However, if the local HAM repeaters are also damaged, HAM radio is not much help either except for nearby simplex ops.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Either way, Zello will NOT work if you have no wifi or cell phone service. However, if the local HAM repeaters are also damaged, HAM radio is not much help either except for nearby simplex ops.

If you have a good antenna on your house or car you can actually do quite a bit with simplex, especially with a relay system.

wtp

florida guy here

Important: Zello relies on the internet connection to work!

that is from their page.
i told my wife about it and she wanted it until we read that line.
the cell phones went down here at about 9 pm
but, as you see the internet is still going.
but we wanted something to work no matter what !
so, we did not try it.

wxwarn285

Surprisingly the use of Zello throughout the whole Hurricane in Florida actually went welI, not everyone lost cell service and we helped and are still helping a lot of people via this app. I know this because I worked handling traffic and distributing warning/WX information on two separate Zello channels dedicated to the hurricane Irma from Tennessee for 17 hours straight from my radio station setup.

I Was using GR level 3 radar, echo link VIOP hurricane net/WX_TALK node, spotter network and contact with Broward County FL EOC/EMA. With the exception of trolls on this app, it worked decently.

Status
Not open for further replies.