• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I need help getting my radios talking to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 6 of these types of radios with 16 channels: http://a.co/eXJKx5M and they all talk to each other, even different brands.

I have 4 of these 22 channel radios http://a.co/iWhRIt2 and they are suppose to have a 5 mile range. They can hear the 16 channel radios, but when these 22 channel radios transmit, the 16 channel radios don't speak, but they do show that they are receiving signal.

I don't have a frequency list for the 16 channel radios, so I don't know where to begin.
For the 22 channel radios, it only tells me the 22 channel's frequencies, and not the sub frequencies.
Also they have off 1, 2, & 3 vox options. I don't know what vox is so I turned it off. I also tried turning it on. The 22 channel radios have a scan mode, but it only scans the 22 channels, and the pre set frequencies of each channel. I turned the frequency code off on each channel, and tried that as well.

On the 16 channel radios, once I go above channel 7, the 22 channel radios no longer hear from the 16 channel radios.

In the old days we figured out how to get CB radios to talk with these types of 22 channel radios, so it should be possible to get a cross over channel frequency list somewhere....

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Where to begin...
The "vox" is a way to transmit without having to push the PTT button. In other words, when you speak, it transmits automatically. Some times that can be an embarrassment though!
The 16 channel units have CTCSS. This is PL, (some call it Private Listening). But as far as the 22 channel units, I didn't see where in the advertisement that they had CTCSS. If, for example, the 16s have CTCSS enabled, the 22s will not open the squelch and allow audio to come throuh.
As for the "3 mile range", that's just not the case generally. Maybe a mile under the right conditions, but normally several hundred yards is more accurate.

Where to begin...
The "vox" is a way to transmit without having to push the PTT button. In other words, when you speak, it transmits automatically. Some times that can be an embarrassment though!
The 16 channel units have CTCSS. This is PL, (some call it Private Listening). But as far as the 22 channel units, I didn't see where in the advertisement that they had CTCSS. If, for example, the 16s have CTCSS enabled, the 22s will not open the squelch and allow audio to come throuh.
As for the "3 mile range", that's just not the case generally. Maybe a mile under the right conditions, but normally several hundred yards is more accurate.

Thanks for telling me about VOX. The 22 channel radios seem to be able to hear the CTCSS from the 16 channel radios just fine, and play the audio, the problem is that the CTCSS radios can't hear the 22 channel radios; also I need to fine tune the frequencies so they match because the 22 channel radios have sub frequencies. The CTCSS seems to be completely ineffective at keeping others from listening.

This page should answer all of your questions: https://www.k0tfu.org/reference/frs-gmrs-privacy-codes-demystified/

You have to use the same privacy codes on all the radios for them to hear each other. Or just shut the codes off completely in each radio.

I turned off the privacy codes before, and that didn't fix the problem. I will keep them off until someone says differently.

The list is great, but it doesn't help with my radios. I tried those channel combinations back and forth between both radios, and nothing matched up. It's actually pretty crazy. One channel on the 22 channel radio that picks up the signal and audio is channel 21, and other channels pick up the other channels as well. Channel 7 also picks up audio. I wish the 16 channel radios had more information on frequencies.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
The answer to your question is rather involved.
CTCSS sub-audible tones aren't intended to keep others from hearing your conversation. They can only help prevent you from hearing someone else's conversation when they transmit on the channel with a different CTCSS tone (or none). To do this you need to set your radio to only open the squelch (unmute the receiver) when the radio hears a certain CTCSS tone.
I suspect the 16-channel radios you have have some CTCSS tone programmed for the channels that your 22-channel radios are not transmitting. There is also the matter of what frequencies are programmed into the 16-channel radios. Technically the 16-channel radios are programmable for any frequency between 400-470 MHz and are only legal for licensed amateur radio operators. The 22-channel radios operate on the shared FRS/GMRS frequencies shown in the link below.

The 16 channel radios you have are programmable if you have a PC03 type programming cable and the programming software (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wlxassy8t407p4b/AACHXgjLhMnnV1ikoJQ6FuS-a?dl=0) and instructions (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81rkJgm-FgL.pdf).

To make all of these work together you would need to program the 16-channel radios to operate on FRS/GMRS frequencies 1-16 and turn off the CTCSS function. Be aware that the 16-channel radios have not been FCC tested for FRS/GMRS use so technically they are not legal to use on those frequencies even if you had an amateur license.

The 22 FRS/GMRS frequencies are available here:
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I don't have a frequency list for the 16 channel radios, so I don't know where to begin.

That is your problem. You CANNOT make any assumptions about what frequencies were programmed into the radios at the factory in China. The odds are that they are NOT GMRS or FRS frequencies, and there is a good chance that one or more of them is either government or public safety, and using them without reprogramming them is likely to get you into a LOT of trouble.

You will need to download software to program these radios, either the factory crapware, or if you're lucky, CHIRP will support them. Then you can program the FRS/GMRS frequencies into the Ansoko radios, and be able to talk to your other radios. But until you do that, DO NOT transmit with the Ansokos.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I have 6 of these types of radios with 16 channels: http://a.co/eXJKx5M and they all talk to each other, even different brands.

I have 4 of these 22 channel radios http://a.co/iWhRIt2 and they are suppose to have a 5 mile range. They can hear the 16 channel radios, but when these 22 channel radios transmit, the 16 channel radios don't speak, but they do show that they are receiving signal.

For the 22 channel radios, it only tells me the 22 channel's frequencies, and not the sub frequencies.
Also they have off 1, 2, & 3 vox options. I don't know what vox is so I turned it off. I also tried turning it on. The 22 channel radios have a scan mode, but it only scans the 22 channels, and the pre set frequencies of each channel. I turned the frequency code off on each channel, and tried that as well.

On the 16 channel radios, once I go above channel 7, the 22 channel radios no longer hear from the 16 channel radios.

In the old days we figured out how to get CB radios to talk with these types of 22 channel radios, so it should be possible to get a cross over channel frequency list somewhere....
I don't see any FCC certification listed for those radios. From the description, they are probably not legal for FRS or GMRS. Also, if these are rebadged Baofeng 888s, the transmitter deviation is so weak that you might have problems with transmitting reliable CTCSS. Which might be your problem.

I know I will get some hate mail telling me how these radios are all such a wonderful deal, but, seriously, if you buy a radio you expect it to be legal and actually work.

Friends don't let friends waste good beer money on cheap Chinese radios.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

The answer to your question is rather involved.
CTCSS sub-audible tones aren't intended to keep others from hearing your conversation. They can only help prevent you from hearing someone else's conversation when they transmit on the channel with a different CTCSS tone (or none). To do this you need to set your radio to only open the squelch (unmute the receiver) when the radio hears a certain CTCSS tone.
I suspect the 16-channel radios you have have some CTCSS tone programmed for the channels that your 22-channel radios are not transmitting. There is also the matter of what frequencies are programmed into the 16-channel radios. Technically the 16-channel radios are programmable for any frequency between 400-470 MHz and are only legal for licensed amateur radio operators. The 22-channel radios operate on the shared FRS/GMRS frequencies shown in the link below.

The 16 channel radios you have are programmable if you have a PC03 type programming cable and the programming software (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wlxassy8t407p4b/AACHXgjLhMnnV1ikoJQ6FuS-a?dl=0) and instructions (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81rkJgm-FgL.pdf).

To make all of these work together you would need to program the 16-channel radios to operate on FRS/GMRS frequencies 1-16 and turn off the CTCSS function. Be aware that the 16-channel radios have not been FCC tested for FRS/GMRS use so technically they are not legal to use on those frequencies even if you had an amateur license.

The 22 FRS/GMRS frequencies are available here:
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart

First of all, I got all these radios sent to me for free, in order to leave product reviews on Amazon.

Next great advice, and thanks everyone. If I'm correct the software and cable here should do it ? http://a.co/aA598sM

There's no FCC around here, so as long as I re-program them, there shouldn't be a problem. I never heard of any FCC approval requirement for ham radio licence use, but then again maybe I don't know. I thought we were free to create radios and do what we wanted to.

Please let me know if you think this will work. I have a Windows 7 computer, and Linux that I can use with the cable. I hope the software works too.

RFI-EMI-GUY

First of all, I got all these radios sent to me for free, in order to leave product reviews on Amazon.

Next great advice, and thanks everyone. If I'm correct the software and cable here should do it ? http://a.co/aA598sM

There's no FCC around here, so as long as I re-program them, there shouldn't be a problem. I never heard of any FCC approval requirement for ham radio licence use, but then again maybe I don't know. I thought we were free to create radios and do what we wanted to.

Please let me know if you think this will work. I have a Windows 7 computer, and Linux that I can use with the cable. I hope the software works too.

If you have a ham license, you can legally use those radios on Part 97 ham radio frequencies. But you cannot use them on FRS or GMRS frequencies as they lack Part 95 certification.

There is a growing misconception that a ham license affords some special privileges on FRS and GMRS frequencies. It does not. They are totally different services, and you must comply with the Part 95 rules when operating FRS and GMRS. This includes requirement for a GMRS license.

Last edited:

Chickenhawk56

You are trying to get a $15 toy radio made in China talking to a completely different brand of $13 toy radio made in China so that you can post a review on Amazon?

If you want them talking to each other, just buy more toy radios of the same brand.

They will work at 5 miles about as well as that mysterious scanner that you can buy off the internet that decrypts encrypted radios that you tried to get us to believe exists.

And, last time I checked WA falls under FCC jurisdiction. Those radios do not have FCC approval and are illegal in the US. You seem to feel that that you can do what you want and transmit over any frequency you want; screw the legalities. Just because there is no FCC office on your block does NOT mean you are free to "do what you want."

Your admitting that they pay you (by giving you free radios) to post a positive review kinda kills the legitimacy of all the user reviews for those radios on Amazon.

Do not feed this troll.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I think I am going to report all those illegal radios on Amazon to the FCC. There seems to be no end to the cheap crap being purveyed on that site. They are worse than ebay in that buyers think there is some credibility because Amazon is handling it. I spent a good part of my career chasing interference, much of it from malfunctioning equipment. Now any loon with $15 can buy a non compliant radio preprogrammed with unauthorized frequencies.

I think I am going to report all those illegal radios on Amazon to the FCC. There seems to be no end to the cheap crap being purveyed on that site. They are worse than ebay in that buyers think there is some credibility because Amazon is handling it. I spent a good part of my career chasing interference, much of it from malfunctioning equipment. Now any loon with $15 can buy a non compliant radio preprogrammed with unauthorized frequencies.

I'm removing my video review of the radios from YouTube, and hopefully that will help. The main purpose of me using radios, is for emergencies when there are no phones. Most of the radios I have are compliant. I agree that they should at least come pre-programmed with the right frequencies, because it's a pain, but this is a good learning experience, to learn how to program these radios, and I appreciate all the input. I highly doubt that Amazon will remove or prevent all such radio listings, as they get good profit off of it, and don't seem to have any liability.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
And, last time I checked WA falls under FCC jurisdiction. Those radios do not have FCC approval and are illegal in the US. You seem to feel that that you can do what you want and transmit over any frequency you want; screw the legalities. Just because there is no FCC office on your block does NOT mean you are free to "do what you want."

Your admitting that they pay you (by giving you free radios) to post a positive review kinda kills the legitimacy of all the user reviews for those radios on Amazon.

Do not feed this troll.

That seems to be the prevailing attitude for the general public. "Gimme a radio a let me start talking!" They are totally unaware of the rules and laws that are designed to provide at least a modicum of organization so that the air waves can be used by all and with a minimum of interference and a maximum of efficiency. At least that's the intent.

If it's illegal to use these radios, then someone should probably delete this post / thread ? I don't see any options to delete or edit posts or comments here. Maybe EMS people will like my radios.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
If it's illegal to use these radios, then someone should probably delete this post / thread ? I don't see any options to delete or edit posts or comments here. Maybe EMS people will like my radios.

It's not necessarily illegal to use most of the radios but rather there are certain ways to legally use the radios. For instance, a Baofeng UV-5R is a very popular radio. It can't be use on FRS but may be legal in other areas. It can, however, be programmed with FRS frequencies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Do the radios have an FCC ID on them, inside the battery compartment or other label somewhere? They need to be certified for Part 90 and also meet other minumim performance requirements (EIA/TIA603) for EMS (public safety) use.

Please provide the FCC ID.

I would not suggest removing this thread as this is an apparently yet another new mystery Chinese radio folks should be aware of.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I would not suggest removing this thread as this is an apparently yet another new mystery Chinese radio folks should be aware of.

You know better than that. They're aware of it. The fact that it's a cash cow for them overrides any other consideration.

Do the radios have an FCC ID on them, inside the battery compartment or other label somewhere? They need to be certified for Part 90 and also meet other minumim performance requirements (EIA/TIA603) for EMS (public safety) use.

Please provide the FCC ID.

FCC ID: 2017fp0564
Model: 888S
ISO9001

Status
Not open for further replies.