• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Urgent Question about Handheld CB radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant888

Hello all, I just bought a handheld cb, and the only way I can hear people talking is when squelch is turned OFF, and all the static is coming through.

When I put squelch up, I can't hear anything.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

Hello all, I just bought a handheld cb, and the only way I can hear people talking is when squelch is turned OFF, and all the static is coming through.

When I put squelch up, I can't hear anything.

If you leave the squelch on the threshold and take the radio outside does it ever open?

You might only be hearing weak signals due to the sunspot cycle being so low. Also, the antenna on a portable CB is worthless, so you will be lucky to talk more than a mile or two. If you can substitute a base antenna it might work better.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

ant888

If you leave the squelch on the threshold and take the radio outside does it ever open?

You might only be hearing weak signals due to the sunspot cycle being so low. Also, the antenna on a portable CB is worthless, so you will be lucky to talk more than a mile or two. If you can substitute a base antenna it might work better.

When you say threshold, you mean just leave squelch how it is? When I take it outside, and squelch is up, I still cannot hear anything.

ant888

Also when I keep squelch down, and I go outside, it is a bunch of white noise along with speaking, that works fine.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Also when I keep squelch down, and I go outside, it is a bunch of white noise along with speaking, that works fine.

If you were to look at the CB band with a spectrum analyser, you would see noise peaks for every channel. It is simply an aggregate of every distant user on the channel. The UK converted CB to FM which improves performance.

Try this.

Does the radio have an RF gain control? Turn it up.
Does it have any form of noise limiter? Turn it off.

Any improvement?

Then get a piece of wire 8 or 9 feet long and attach it to the antenna terminal. String it up vertically. Still holding the radio, do you hear anything?

ant888

No RF gain control sadly.
No noise limiter either. I'm guessing it's just because the actual transmissions are quite far away and being blocked by trees, buildings, etc.

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
Such is the nature of CB radio, an FM signal it is not!
Even on base and mobile radios the squelch is of limited value.
Even am, cw and ssb amateur radios often have no squelch control at all, and if they do they act nothing like an FM radio.
Just listen to the noise and you will hear something sometimes!

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It may be something as simple as there's no one talking on CB within normal range of your radio and you're picking up remnants of distance signals.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Before you replace the antenna or go out and buy gold-plated connectors, go find a truck stop and listen on 19. Or, find out if any law enforcement agencies in your area monitor channel 9. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one, though.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
When you say threshold, you mean just leave squelch how it is? When I take it outside, and squelch is up, I still cannot hear anything.

Turn the squelch down all the way. You should hear constant static noise. If someone is taking, wait until they stop or change the channel until you find one that has no one talking on it. Slowly turn up the squelch control until the static sound just stops. Leave the squelch there. The squelch control is now set at the "threshold" where it is just turned up enough to silence the background static. Anyone talking now *should* have enough signal to "open" (unmute) the squelch so you can hear them. When they stop talking, the squelch should kick in again and mute the background static noise. You may need to adjust the squelch control slightly up or down near this setting to get it so it just barely mutes the background noise.

What manufacturer and model is this handheld CB?

ant888

Turn the squelch down all the way. You should hear constant static noise. If someone is taking, wait until they stop or change the channel until you find one that has no one talking on it. Slowly turn up the squelch control until the static sound just stops. Leave the squelch there. The squelch control is now set at the "threshold" where it is just turned up enough to silence the background static. Anyone talking now *should* have enough signal to "open" (unmute) the squelch so you can hear them. When they stop talking, the squelch should kick in again and mute the background static noise. You may need to adjust the squelch control slightly up or down near this setting to get it so it just barely mutes the background noise.

What manufacturer and model is this handheld CB?
It's a Midland 78-785 40 channel handheld cb radio.

Chronic

A handheld CB is about like trying to eat Chinese food with 1 chopstick

ant888

I think I just got a transmission with the squelch on. Guess it works after all.

SCPD

QRT
Cb and NJ

Before you replace the antenna or go out and buy gold-plated connectors, go find a truck stop and listen on 19. Or, find out if any law enforcement agencies in your area monitor channel 9. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one, though.

This is New Jersey, Law Enforcement has better things to do than monitor CB,we dont have any truckstops with cb's either.CB is quiet in New Jersey unless you have a good base setup with a rooftop antenna you are not going to be able to hear or talk to many people at all.The 80s and 90s were peak for CB.
You want to play CB,you better get a base or mobile radio ,antenna and be sure it has Single Sideband.
You want to mess around with walkie talkies I advise you to get your ham radio license then you can talk on repeaters that link to anywhere.
A Baofeng walkie talkie goes for $25 on Amazon.144/440mhz. Try a UV-5R.You will enjoy it.

FiveFilter

I have an old hand-held CB that is usable when attached to a vehicle-mounted antenna, like a five-foot Wilson 1000. I've had no luck with a tiny antenna attached to the hand-held CB itself. A VHF or UHF wavelength is much more satisfactory when using those tiny 10-inch aerials.

Ravenkeeper

I still have my handheld CB, that I bought in NM, and have used it in my vehicles until I got my CB set up in them. Lately, (ok, back in '04) I used it with a Wal-Mart special 12" "rubber ducky" antenna to drive my wife's car from ID to SoCal. Now that we have finally unpacked the moving box with them in it, I used them to function check and troubleshoot my Uniden PC122XL and FireStix, a couple weeks ago. That box hasn't been opened since we moved from Edwards AFB to our current home, 8+ years ago. When I bought the antenna, in ID, I bought an adapter to connect it to the BNC connection, and an external mic and speaker. I would have loved to have had it in our Pilot last summer ('16), when we drove up to the Bay Area, would have been well informed to jump off of I-5 onto SR-33 or something, instead of sitting in a "parking lot," on I-5, in the middle of nowhere in the San Joaquin Valley.

Status
Not open for further replies.