• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Audio Lag in Amplified Charger with New Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimco

I put my G5 into my amplified charger for the first time since flashing it with the latest firmware and I've noticed a problem. It takes a second for the speaker to activate when a transmission comes in. I hear the usual noise it makes when a transmission comes in, but I miss the first second or so of audio. For short messages like "10-4" or "Received", I'll miss the entire thing. The display shows that a voice message is happening and I hear the amplified charger click, but the audio is missed.

Anyone else noticing this?

Jim

ecarvalho

I have not upgraded the G4 which sits on the charger/ amp 24x7 yet but I would like to see a video of the issue. I don't think I'll upgrade it if this is firmware related.

Jimco

Just FYI, it's not perfect even with R11P, but it's WAY WAY better. I still get audio cut off at the beginning of some transmissions.

I used the MPSCS R11P firmware that David sent in his update mail because I didn't have the previous firmware to install. It was on my G5 when I bought it. I assume the MPSCS R11P firmware is the same as the firmware release I had prior to the .17I R00.

W8VI

I posted that I did not have the delay issue but I am having it now.

Reverting back to Version R11P has helped the delay though the Charger/Speaker but it is still there but not on all transmissions.

Still some bugs to work out in this new FW version.

Last edited:

rogress

I haven't done the new firmware yet, but I did notice that is a little bit of that problem with the old firmware. I use the G5 for a feed and have always noticed that I lose just a little bit of the transmission when they are brief. I would hat to see it get even worse.

Just FYI, it's not perfect even with R11P, but it's WAY WAY better. I still get audio cut off at the beginning of some transmissions.

I used the MPSCS R11P firmware that David sent in his update mail because I didn't have the previous firmware to install. It was on my G5 when I bought it. I assume the MPSCS R11P firmware is the same as the firmware release I had prior to the .17I R00.

bedrock

Premium Subscriber
I am having the same problem, seems that with the audio section activating on and off with each transmission, it is the culprit. I connected to the audio output with another speaker, and the thud noise of the amp section was more pronounced. I believe if the amplifier were to stay powered on when the radio is in the charger, this would quit. The radio audio is activating some type of relay which in turn allows the amp section to come on and then speaker output. This is a deal breaker on the charger/amplifier if I can't get this resolved.

bedrock

Premium Subscriber
P.S. I have emailed David at Unication about this problem...I will post response when received.

Jimco

This is a deal breaker on the charger/amplifier if I can't get this resolved.

I don't ever use my amplified charger anymore. Not only do I get cut off audio, but it also frequently will never show a completed charge. My desktop charger works flawlessly and it's the charger I use now.

MrRadio

Hey guys,

I'm watching this thread as I had planned on getting the amplified drop-in charger fairly soon for my G5.

I've seen several "issues" posted, but it's hard to tell as I don't know how many users are NOT having a problem.

I don't want to dish out $$$ for one if there are known issues. I could get the basic non-amplified charger but after seeing the amplified in action, it seemed worth getting.

The firmware in my G5 is V0.90-0.14A-R11P

I'm also anxiously awaiting the phase 2 update as my local FD switches back and forth from P1 to P2 fairly often.

That update itself might even effect the drop-in charger audio issue (although nothing charger related should really change).

Thanks.

Last edited:

bedrock

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys,

I'm watching this thread as I had planned on getting the amplified drop-in charger fairly soon for my G5.

I've seen several "issues" posted, but it's hard to tell as I don't know how many users are NOT having a problem.

I don't want to dish out $$$ for one if there are known issues. I could get the basic non-amplified charger but after seeing the amplified in action, it seemed worth getting.

The firmware in my G5 is V0.90-0.14A-R11P

I'm also anxiously awaiting the phase 2 update as my local FD switches back and forth from P1 to P2 fairly often.

That update itself might even effect the drop-in charger audio issue (although nothing charger related should really change).

Thanks.
Mr. Radio...The charger amplifier is a wonderful piece, just had a few quirks. Audio is great, very loud, will light up a room. The volume control does not go down to mute, it has a little volume at no volume on the dial. The biggest problem I am experiencing is the cut off transmissions..the amp cycles on and off when receiving audio, on during audio, off after audio stops. At the beginning of that cycle, the time it takes the amp to cut on, you have lost about 1/2 to 1 full second of audio. If you have a very busy channel, it is very frustrating. The G5 out of the amplifier is absolutely perfect..hopefully they can come up with a fix. If the amplifier stayed on all of the time, instead of cycleing, the problem would not exist.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Jimco

I have seen a few videos posted recently that show the amplified charger working perfectly. I hope that's because of fixes in the Phase II firmware and not due to a hardware upgrade with the charger!

scan18

Premium Subscriber
I watched those videos and it looks to me like some of the transmissions may be getting cut off a bit at the beginning, same as yours. I have the amplified charger and the phase 2 G5 and I definitely miss the beginning of some transmissions when there several short ones in a row.

I haven’t had it for long, so I can’t really say for sure if mine is worse than yours or not. Probably need to see a longer video of yours.

The system I listen to is not extremely busy. I can certainly see it being more of an issue when monitoring a busy system with lots of constant chatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.