NY State Police Troop G Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagen001

Premium Subscriber
I am monitoring the state police on the Saratoga County public safety trunked system (decimal 8110, 8211 and 8112) and never hear any traffic. Does the dispatch only communicate on analog? Thanks.

Com-Tech51H8

bureaucratic absence of presence.
Premium Subscriber
I am monitoring the state police on the Saratoga County public safety trunked system (decimal 8110, 8211 and 8112) and never hear any traffic. Does the dispatch only communicate on analog? Thanks.

yes state police(both Dispatch and the Cars) still operate on vhf but have a digital patch to talk to county

Hagen001

Premium Subscriber
NYSP Troop G Dispatch

So the digital patch is not for dispatch, but just to communicate with County? Thanks very much for your assistance.

D

DaveNF2G

"Communicat[ing] with County" includes dispatch. NYSP cars are sent on calls by Saratoga County when the call comes to their center and a Trooper is in the area. 9-1-1 calls received at Troop G are dispatched on VHF (for now). Last time I was able to monitor for any length of time, the Troopers updated their status with COMSEC on VHF if they were sent anywhere by Saratoga County on 800.

Hagen001

Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much. Can you explain a bit more what this means? For example in Saratoga County public safety there is a MRD talk group that seems to include a variety of units. I also notice that Ulster and Orange county have a MRD TGRP as well.

kmontano

I don’t know if I’ve ever heard any traffic on those talkgroups you mentioned.
As with many counties, state police units assigned to patrol in Saratoga County are dispatched by the county on Saratoga County 911 (conventional vhf and digital talkgroup).
Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the Saratoga County system would be able to tell us if those three talkgroups you mentioned ever get any use.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
The Saratoga MRD talk group is for some of the other smaller PDs...I believe Ballston Spa is dispatched on that talk group.

D

DaveNF2G

MRD is a throwback term to an era before "interoperability" was a thing. Nowadays it generally refers to a police catch-all channel.

Hagen001

Premium Subscriber
This makes sense. I would assume that as radios first became available for mobile use that this acronym was coined. Now it must be a legacy usage that has hung on in some areas.

CaptDan

it's a legacy term - some things die a long painful death in law enforcement - similar to the term RMP in the NYPD.

RMP started back in the day before all vehicles were equipped with 2 way radios and meant the vehicle was equipped with a radio to receive police radio broadcasts, they became known as RMP's or radio motor patrol

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
This makes sense. I would assume that as radios first became available for mobile use that this acronym was coined. Now it must be a legacy usage that has hung on in some areas.

Not that old. I first heard the term in the early 1970's when our county installed its first countywide police radio system. NF2G may recall the old GE's on a mix of VHF and UHF channels. Good times.

k2hz

Database Admin
The formation of Mobile Radio Districts was a program that started around the 1970s to encourage formation of county-wide law enforcement radio systems with centralized dispatch. Early 911 systems still had the call takers handing jobs off to multiple agencies each with their own dispatchers and radio systems.

So, MRD refers to a county or area-wide radio system that supports multiple agencies.

There was some resistance from agencies that wanted to keep control of dispatch of their units. In some cases this was resolved by "polling" where the MRD dispatcher announces the location of jobs and solicits units to respond from any available agency. In other cases, particular agencies and units are assigned by the MRD dispatcher based on agreements about primary response agencies and units for the location and nature of the job.

Although the term MRD is not often used now, the concept remains in effect in most areas.

sc800

That is 370 right?

It is a bit confusing where I am in Orange County because his area never called 370 MRD it was always called either Statewide or High Band Intersystema.

MRD here always has and still does refer to 155.850 which is used by the 911 center to dispatch small towns and villages without their own dispatch

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
That is 370 right?

It is a bit confusing where I am in Orange County because his area never called 370 MRD it was always called either Statewide or High Band Intersystema.

MRD is not 155.370. Well, not officially. Some people called it MRD, but MRD actually more related to the local VHF channels that were referenced further up this thread.
155.370 is now, officially, called NYLAW1. Some people use that name, some still one of many old names for it, like Statewide, Intersystem, Interstate, Intrastate, the Point...etc. That's why the State tried to set a standardized name. "NY" to indicate it's a NY channel, "Law" to indicate it's law enforcement.
http://www.dhses.ny.gov/oiec/plans-policies-guidelines/documents/NYLAW1-REV1-Final.pdf

D

DaveNF2G

Standardization does not work well in New York state. Too many local fiefdoms and the well entrenched concept of "home rule" keep that from having any teeth.

Calling 155.370 "point to point" and using it as such is an example of such local resistance. .370 was supposed to be for mobile units only. The base to base "point to point" channel was supposed to be 39.46. However, large counties like Monroe that did not operate on low band used the high band channel as they saw fit.

k2hz

Database Admin
Let me repeat some key points to clear up the confusion:

A Mobile Radio District was a county or area wide, multi-agency, law enforcement mobile radio system with centralized dispatch connected to a 911 center. The primary dispatch channel for such as system was often called "MRD". Most systems have gone through many changes since the original 1970s MRD system but the term MRD is still used to designate a county multi-agency law dispatch channel. NYSP units are generally dispatched on such channels in most counties which is why there is limited activity on NYSP channels.

The MRD program encouraged the use of 155.370 (now NYLAW1) for interop, especially with adjacent counties. While it was an adjunct to MRD systems, I never heard 155.370 called "MRD".

As NF2G said, 155.370 was called "Point to Point" and users said "on the Point" in Monroe County since the local use, especially prior to MRD days was communication between dispatchers from various agencies in and around Monroe County. This use was gradually phased out for agencies within the county since separate NYSP, Town PD and Sheriff's dispatchers, at different locations, no longer had to coordinate by radio. Sheriff's unit calls used to be relayed from the Sheriff's dispatcher at the Jail to the County dispatcher at Cobbs Hill Radio Center "on the Point" for broadcast on 159.210.

Eliminating this was prime example of how MRD systems greatly improved law enforcement dispatch as well as providing employment for NF2G and Steve C0625.

Status
Not open for further replies.