• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS 3000 programming hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

topdog1198

Premium Subscriber
I've been programming my 5000 for a little while just made the purchase of a 3000 purchase the software now looking for the hardware interface. I see quite a bit of stuff on eBay but don't wish to waste my time buying junk. Does anyone know where I can get the correct rib box and the cable? I've already purchased one off of eBay it doesn't seem to work I keep getting an error message that is not communicating with the radio, so I'm thinking may be a bad boxer cable any suggestions

Thanks in Advance

N4KVE

I use a Maxton ribless cable. Kawamall sells the same thing on E-Bay for about $20. Ideally, you will be using a Windows XP machine with a real serial port. This combo ALWAYS works. Some people can convince a Windows 7 machine to work, others can convince a USB/serial port adapter to work, but either of these last 2 are a roll of the dice.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I use a Maxton ribless cable. Kawamall sells the same thing on E-Bay for about $20. Ideally, you will be using a Windows XP machine with a real serial port. This combo ALWAYS works. Some people can convince a Windows 7 machine to work, others can convince a USB/serial port adapter to work, but either of these last 2 are a roll of the dice.

Not if it's a 32 bit version of Windows. 64 bit is what doesn't work correctly and gives the error, cannot communicate with device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
XTS 3000

I use the KAWAMall cable for both the XTS and EFJ5100 and have had no problems. Don't try to use the EFJ5100 on a Moto radio, as the pins are different on the radio connector end. Windows XP 32 bit with a true serial port is the best choice even if you have to buy an old laptop to get it.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Dell Latitude laptops like the D620, D630, D830, etc. are ideal for radio programming. They sold truckloads of them and they're cheap, plentiful, reliable, nearly bulletproof, and if they do have problems, spares are cheap and plentiful, too.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I use a Maxton ribless cable. Kawamall sells the same thing on E-Bay for about $20. Ideally, you will be using a Windows XP machine with a real serial port. This combo ALWAYS works.

I have had problems with the Kawamall ribless cables where it would work with, say, a desktop running XP, but not a laptop running XP.

It get's weirder. That Kawamall cable that doesn't work on a specific laptop to talk to an XTS3K would work on that same laptop running DOS and programming an HT1000. And a real Motorola cable and RIB would work fine with the laptop that won't talk to the radio with the Kawamall cable.

That same cable might work fine programming an XTS3K on yet a different laptop running XP or 7, or whatever. All of the above experienced on computers with real serial ports, running real XP (SP3), and real DOS.

I have personally experienced this weirdness, so I won't endorse that "ALWAYS works" statement. Clearly, your mileage may vary.

N4KVE

I have had problems with the Kawamall ribless cables where it would work with, say, a desktop running XP, but not a laptop running XP.

It get's weirder. That Kawamall cable that doesn't work on a specific laptop to talk to an XTS3K would work on that same laptop running DOS and programming an HT1000. And a real Motorola cable and RIB would work fine with the laptop that won't talk to the radio with the Kawamall cable.

That same cable might work fine programming an XTS3K on yet a different laptop running XP or 7, or whatever. All of the above experienced on computers with real serial ports, running real XP (SP3), and real DOS.

I have personally experienced this weirdness, so I won't endorse that "ALWAYS works" statement. Clearly, your mileage may vary.
Happened to me too. My Maxton ribless cable works on all my 3000's, & MTS 2000's except one radio with older FW. That particular radio requires a rib, & cable. Same laptop though.

pallen444

cable

Hello i use a USB to VGA cable works great i use windows 10 pro some times i have to update driver in device manager. when i first got cable had to look online for driver.

topdog1198

Premium Subscriber
operating system

32, or 64 bit.

When I get home I'll check to see if it's 32 or 64. However I took your advice and purchase the deal computer running Windows XP hopefully this will eliminate the problem thanks for the help

Project25_MASTR

I have both 32 and 64 bit installs of windows 7 and the CPS works fine on both. Never had an issue.

I've never been able to get it to function on a 64 bit machine when it comes to serial communications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Some system specs on my desktop running 64 bit Win 7:

Dell S5520 workstation motherboard, dual quad-core Xeon processor @3 GHz, 24 GB RAM, and some unknown but possibly genuine Intel brand RS232 serial card installed, running Windows 7 Ultimate Edition.

Project25_MASTR

Some system specs on my desktop running 64 bit Win 7:

Dell S5520 workstation motherboard, dual quad-core Xeon processor @3 GHz, 24 GB RAM, and some unknown but possibly genuine Intel brand RS232 serial card installed, running Windows 7 Ultimate Edition.

Interesting. The only way I've been able to get it to run on my Latitude's is using Win XP mode to buffer it. Of course, the company won't pay to get me a computer with a hardware serial port...I can't even get a ruggedized laptop out of them (my last one fell off a D9) but was still usable for a while. Now they've got me in some new Win10 Latitude and I get errors left and right for things. Windows 10 is okay (it's got a lot of useless crap on it for a business machine) but I really feel like Dell has taken yet another step backwards on the build quality of their Lattitude's.

Status
Not open for further replies.