BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Changing the range setting without inputting location again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampatracker

On a road trip right now, and my question is do I need to re input my location setting before I can change the range? I am using the ZIP code input I have an app that will tell me the ZIP code we are in based upon GPS location, and I would like to know can I change the range say from 20 to 40 without reinputting the location again? Or do I have to change the range setting and re input the location again? Thanks, TT.

troymail

Silent Key
On a road trip right now, and my question is do I need to re input my location setting before I can change the range? I am using the ZIP code input I have an app that will tell me the ZIP code we are in based upon GPS location, and I would like to know can I change the range say from 20 to 40 without reinputting the location again? Or do I have to change the range setting and re input the location again? Thanks, TT.

There is an independent range setting option via the menus - might be a tad tedious while driving.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Changing the Range setting has no effect on scanner location. But inputting a ZIP code to set your location will reset Range to 20 miles, due to the size of some ZIP codes.

Your best bet is to use GPS to keep the scanner informed of its location. That will eliminate a lot of typing, update your location every second, will never reset Range, and keeps your scanner clock up to date.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The Range and Zip are two independent things, though they work together. You can change the Range value without having to make any change to Zipcode. You can also change the Zipcode without having to make a change to the Range. Or you could do both, all as desired.

The Zipcode gives the scanner a rough idea of where it is. There is an internal database in the scanner. When you type in a zipcode, the scanner looks at this internal table and obtains the lat/long for the center point of the zipcode. Next the scanner sets that lat/long as its location.

Probably worth noting, that there is a great variation in area covered by zip codes. Some of those out west are pretty large.

A GPS device connected directly to your scanner is the best option there is for travelers.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You can also change the Zipcode without having to make a change to the Range.

Only if you want Range set to 20 miles. Every time you enter a ZIP code, Range is reset to 20 miles, regardless of what you had it set to previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.