Statewide system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
Hey all
So yesterday there was a chase that originated in Springfield and wound up ending here in Connecticut in Windsor on 91. It was really good to listen to CSPERN working as it was designed to. Springfield and Massachusetts State Police as well as their helicopter, air 3 were in direct communication with troop h and Connecticut State Police Headquarters and the troops on the ground. So obviously not only did they catch the three suspects but everything was pretty much flawless other than the fact of the suspect ramming couple cars. Anyways so we all know that cspern can be heard just about anywhere in the state as far as I was aware every Department has or was issued a cspern radio. So I was talking to a friend of mine who just purchased a Uniden 996 P2 that I am programming for him and we started talking about the chase yesterday. This friend is Media connected. Anyway during the talk about me programming the radio and all this other stuff he comes out and says to me that the radios are probably going to be useless in about a year or so at least the radios we have. So I asked him how so. he advised me that supposably there's some kind of a regulation or something idea proposal I don't know what you want to call it but that the entire state is supposed to be going over to a Statewide system so that they all have interoperability with each other and that system is supposed to be nxdn. We all know that there are always rumors regarding Radio Systems flying around but some of this stuff is actually legitimate. I told him as well as his boss that they're probably misinformed period while interoperability between departments is extremely important and as seen with yesterday's Chase definitely has good results instead of one Department having to call another department who in turn gives information to the dispatchers who in turn give that information to the units on the street or even a system like the old hotline doing things that way just does not work. But like we saw yesterday with the state police system if you have interoperability everything can be seamless. I know there are federal grants out there but let's face it Connecticut as a state is pretty much broke. a lot of the cities are pretty much broke. West Haven PD just put in a new digital system. Bridgeports system is definitely not nxdn. the state police are still working on their phase two system. So I am pretty much doubting the validity of what these guys are hearing or being told but I know that a lot of our members are in public safety and a lot of our members work with directly or indirectly the radio communications companies throughout the state. That is why I am putting this question here. Does anybody know if this is even slightly correct information that they're getting? On top of that I don't want to knock one system over another but the state police system is phenomenal. But nxdn? I don't know how advanced they become but I remember Torrington having a nightmare with their system. That said if anybody knows anything I'm more than happy to listen and I'm sure a lot of our other members would be.

PS sorry for any miswording or screwed up punctuation or anything else. I did not hand type this. I was moving around so I wasn't near a computer I used the voice recognition on my cell. so once again sorry if some of the sections here are screwed up wording wise.

elwood_blues

I love the CSPERN capability, and know it works well, but I typically keep it locked out because there always seems to be an open mic that goes on forever. It doesn't appear to be just one guy, but multiple. It really gets annoying fast.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
Yes the open mic situation used to drive me nuts to the point that I used to lock it out of my radio but I'm sure everybody will agree that the incidence of open mics have decreased a lot in the recent past. I think cspern is a really good system when it is used the way it's supposed to be. I was going to delete the thread but I'm leaving it. I actually wound up getting an answer to my question today. The person who was giving me the information wound up being mistaken it was not nxdn it was next-gen as in Next Generation and it was the new Viper system they were talking about they were confused. I actually found a bunch of info on the system and sent it to them so now they know what the real story is

cg

Premium Subscriber
The system is already installed and in partial use. It will eventually be a combination 700/800MHz P25 Phase 2 statewide system. You may see both 700 and 800 in mixed use in a single conversation.

Someone here apparently made up the name CSERN. I don't know if the state has a name for it yet, there is nothing it the various official documents.

When you see NexGen, there are two things that come to mind.

First, the Next Gen 911 is currently being installed is all the many PSAPS
despp: NG9-1-1 Telecommunications System

And second, the CAD software in use in many departments including CSP is called NEXGEN
https://www.nexgenpss.com/

chris

HamRFinCT

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm familiar with both of those. So whats Viper?

SVFC462

Feed Provider
State of North Carolina radio system

VIPER - Voice Interoperability Plan for Emergency Responders

A statewide 241 site system (220 are constructed and on-the-air = 91% coverage)

98,114 total users (not including consoles) and the system can talk to South Carolina when needed.

Www.ncdps.gov - quick facts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elwood_blues

For what it's worth, the FAPERN interop freq sees a lot of use in the greater Danbury area, including Troop A and Putnam County, NY 460.16250 PL151.4

elwood_blues

cg;2821081 Someone here apparently made up the name CSERN. I don't know if the state has a name for it yet said:
https://www.nexgenpss.com/[/url]

chris

CSPERN has been active for years now. I've heard a lot of interop chase stuff from B'port up north.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
There is no Statewide NXDN in play.

Phase 2 is being built, it is largely paid for. No idea where your friend heard NXDN from.

APX7500X2

VIPER as its being referenced here is the new Nextgen (Next generation) 911 that is being installed state wide in CT.
Its replacing the Nextgen 911 that was installed a year or so ago that never worked correctly.

cg

Premium Subscriber

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
Okay I'm going to clear up some of the confusion here as to my post one thing I was trying to say is that the CSPERN system worked great during the pursuit from Springfield that ended in Windsor in our state.
When I was talking to a friend at the news-times in Danbury he was telling me about a supposed new radio system that was going to be Statewide and was taking the place of all of the Departments current systems. Obviously we know the states broke the cities are broke and there's no way without a Federal grant covering just about a hundred percent that we would be able to do a full Statewide system. it seems that my friend was mistaken and the NextGen system he was talking about was the system CG was mentioning which has to do with 911 dispatching. It actually has very little to do with radio. the NextGen system is also called Viper and this is the link that tells about it right down the diagrams and the cut off points. Apparently according to the documentation it is supposed to be up and running fully in Connecticut by mid November. Here is the link despp: NG9-1-1 Telecommunications System
While it is nice that all of our departments mostly have their own dispatch centers and that's all fine and good both for the fire department and for the police department as obviously dispatchers familiar with their area is a very good thing. My son recently relocated to New Hampshire and it's working for a paid Department up there Believe It or Not There are paid departments there as well as volunteer or technically they're called pay by call departments. Anyways they use Regional dispatching up there and I have to tell you from what I listened to it was pretty cool and very well put together. I would compare it to 60 control in Westchester County. Grafton County New Hampshire uses Twin States Mutual aid for a regional dispatch. Or as the name implies Mutual Aid call Al. Lincoln where my son is does their own dispatching but if they have to get called in mutual aid for Woodstock or someplace else then Twin States puts the dispatch out. However Woodstock, Franklin and a bunch of the other towns are actually dispatched by Twin States for the regular call volume. The other night I was actually on the phone with my son and there was a call going on in I think it was Barnet Vermont. When I asked my son where there fire was he advised me that the Dispatch Center was actually broadcasting a fire in Vermont I was like wow. Anyways twin state uses the call sign KSI-676 and the proper name is Twin State Mutual Aid fire Association it's worth it it's pretty interesting I actually when you see their coverage area and the towns served.
That said thank you Chris for being on point with NextGen like I said my guy at the paper was definitely wrong about it being a new radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.