Digital wait time

Status
Not open for further replies.

yankees6161

Can someone please explain Digital wait time to me I’ve got mine set it for hundred milliseconds and still having trouble with picking up all transmission

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you are having trouble with digital signals you might also look at trying different Digital threshold and modes.

SCPD

QRT
transmission

Can someone please explain Digital wait time to me I’ve got mine set it for hundred milliseconds and still having trouble with picking up all transmission

Its not decoding right or its not holding onto the frequency long enough?

If its time try setting Hold time to 2 on all your systems,that helped alot on my Unidens! I get more "chatter" out of my scanners.

Decode is usually a matter of signal strength,have you tried a gain antenna like an RH-77Ca Diamond antenna?

if it sounds like digital warbling,its either the signal or the decoding is not happening properly like above said adjust threshold to manual and try different numbers til its good for Trunking.The stock Uniden setting is Auto and it is supposed to be good for all systems.

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
We all seem to be speculating the user's meaning of "still having trouble with picking up all transmission". There's lots of possibilities (what is programmed/being scanned, what systems/sites and channels, type of systems, missing start or the middle of transmissions, etc.) - we'll need more detail / description of the problem. Depending upon that description, there's things you can try but in other cases, there may not be much that can be done.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

Digital Wait Time is used in mixed digital/analog trunked systems and affects how the scanner tries to distinguish between digital and analog frequencies. When a signal is detected, Digital Wait Time specifies how long the scanner will spend trying to decide if a transmission is digital or analog before opening squelch. If you set it to zero, you may hear brief bursts of digital static at the beginning of digital transmissions where the scanner is still processing the digital signal as analog. If you set it to a value greater than zero (like the default 400 milliseconds), then that much time will be clipped off the beginning of each transmission, and you'll miss short transmissions entirely.

Whether Digital Wait Time is the cause of, or the solution to, your reception issue is still unclear. What system are you having trouble monitoring? Are you just missing the beginning of transmissions, or are they cutting out and/or garbled throughout? More info is needed to help you.

Ubbe

Digital wait time is only a delay function for the muting of audio when you first land on a frequency that are configured to have both analog and digital signals and have nothing to do with the decode capability of the scanner.

Think of it as if you would have the volume set down to zero and when you encounter a new frequency you wait those milliseconds before you crank up the volume to listen. It is an audio muting to spare you from listening to digital data noise until the scanner decodes the signal and mutes the raw audio.

/Ubbe

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
So for a pure digital system, P25 P1/P2 setting the time to 0 is preferred, correct?

phask

Premium Subscriber
No - not correct. There is not even a setting for it on a trunked system.

"

Digital Waiting Time (Conventional Only) This setting gives the scanner time to determine if channels on Conventional Systems have digital or analog transmissions. During this time, the scanner will evaluate the received signal and, if it detects digital data, will open squelch immediately. I"

So for a pure digital system, P25 P1/P2 setting the time to 0 is preferred, correct?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No - not correct. There is not even a setting for it on a trunked system.

Actually there is, for systems that allow both digital and analog. The setting is disabled for digital-only and analog-only system types.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Correct. Note that some of the software makes it appear that the system type has this setting, due to combining multiple system types into a single UI. If the setting doesn't apply, the software knows not to send the setting to the scanner (which would ignore it, anyway). On a purely digital system, the scanner will never open on analog undecoded digital noise.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
What is Digital Wait Time?

Uniden scanners allow you to program conservatively. What I mean by this is that you can simply enter a frequency and Uniden will play it if the radio system is compatible. You do not have to enter in all system details such as the selective reception code, analog/digital, or modulation.

However, analog and digital radio systems are handled completely differently by the scanner.

In order to determine whether a signal is analog or digital, the scanner first passes the call to the digital decoder. If it says "hey, there is digital data here," then the scanner immediately plays the digital radio call. If there no digital data frames are decoded after a certain time, the radio assume "hey, this must be analog," and it then plays the analog audio call.

"Digital wait time" is the time period in which the radio monitors the signal to see if there is digital data. Honestly, it's really an "analog" wait time, because it only delays analog calls. Digital calls will play immediately.

So, what is important about this setting on a practical basis?

For however long the Digital Wait Time setting lasts, you will be that late to all analog calls. However, if it is too short, it is possible that the scanner could fail to detect a digital call.

Digital Wait Time is most important when you are scanning new frequencies and you don't know what type of system it is; for instance, when you use digital frequency search quick import.

To avoid this issue altogether, set the object to either analog or digital specifically, and then analog calls should play immediately (I'd set the Digital Wait Time to 0 on analog objects, just to be sure). Keep in mind though, the more liberal you are with programming your scanner for only specific things, you will hear less once things change.

I do not know if this relates to your reception problems, but the question was about explaining Digital Wait Time, so I figured I would do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.