• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Overwrite password? NX-800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey! I'm attempting to program an NX-800. It was purchased used. I created a codeplug and I'm trying to drop it in when a get an error message Overwrite password. I can't read it because it appears to password protected. No luck getting in touch with the seller thus far. Did I just buy a paperweight? Locked with a System-Key type of software? Is there a "work around"? McKenna olde buddy? Can you help a brother out? Please feel free to answer here or PM me! Help! Please! Thank you so much in advance!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There are two ways that passwords can be put on these radios:

Read Password - radio cannot be read without the password, but can be overwritten.
Overwrite Password - radio cannot be read or overwritten without the password.

If you sniff around on the web, you might find the "Engineering" license for KPG-111 software. Reloading your KPG-111 and using the Engineer key will allow the software to read and/or write to the radio even if it has a password.

westcoaster

Coooool....

So THAT is where they hid that little check box!

Advanced settings, setting 1, not battery saver.....

mrgrey06

There are two ways that passwords can be put on these radios:

Read Password - radio cannot be read without the password, but can be overwritten.
Overwrite Password - radio cannot be read or overwritten without the password.

If you sniff around on the web, you might find the "Engineering" license for KPG-111 software. Reloading your KPG-111 and using the Engineer key will allow the software to read and/or write to the radio even if it has a password.

Is there anywhere in particular that you could point me, or possibly walk me through writing over the password? I tried with the software with what I thought was an engineering serial, but it won't overwrite the password. I feel I'm doing something wrong.

mrgrey06

Turns out that I didnt have the engineering key, so I'm stuck until my friend can pickup the radio to take it back. I'd prefer to wipe it myself if I could.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
You'll need an older version of the software. The latest and greatest has the engineering serials locked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.