• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2014 Ford Explorer install help

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Hey all.

Well after 229,000 miles its time I retire my 2008 Mountaineer. I'm picking up a 2014 Explorer (5th generation) and looking for some advice and ideas for installs. I'm putting in a Yaesu FT-7800 and a Uniden 996 Scanner for now, keeping it simple. Also I'm not looking to replace the center console with a Jotto or Havis unit. I want to keep the truck clean looking.

One thing I'm not sure of yet is putting an antenna on the roof due to the fact I have the vista sunroof and have a limited area to mount it.

One thing I am am looking for is the firewall access between the cabin and the engine compartment. I have heard of the one port behind the glove box, are there others?

I'm also looking for mounting placement / ideas for the radios. I have only come across a few threads about 5th generation Explorer installs here. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tech792

The port up behind the glove box is the easiest I've found. (Unless you have the police package wiring).
Behind the glove box, its up high and to the right. Its white plastic and easy to drill through.

lou9155

be carefull with holes to the engine bay, 2011-2017 explorers have a problem with exhaust gas entering the cabin very dangerous they still havent fixed it , check safercar.gov or google.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
be carefull with holes to the engine bay, 2011-2017 explorers have a problem with exhaust gas entering the cabin very dangerous they still havent fixed it ,
Those leaks are probably coming in from the back of the vehicle and are probably the result of tailpipe emissions being sucked back into the flow-through ventilation system which has vents at the back of the vehicle.

There should be no exhaust leaks in the engine compartment (which is close to the grommetted port that Tech792 mentioned). If there are leaks there, they would be before the O2 sensor which the engine computer would sense.

CptCrunch

Premium Subscriber
This is how I installed my Yaesu FT-8800 in my 2015 Explorer. I used the 3M tape to secure the mounting nest to the dash. To ensure a strong bond I lightly scuffed the top of the mount and under the edge.
The chassis is secured under the drivers seat and the speaker is mounted to the trim piece on the drivers seat next to the console. You don't even know it's there, it's pointed up so excellent sound.

The speaker is plugged directly to the radio and the separation cable goes under the carpet, under the drivers trim, under the dash to come out by the opening under the dash. The console will come loose with some gentle prying so it hides the cable.

I had a stereo shop drill the firewall to run the power wires since I didn't know about access on the passenger side until recently.

Attachments

• 8800 1.jpg
    8800 1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 591

CptCrunch

Premium Subscriber
With the way I mounted the control head I still have access to the storage bin, although it doesn't open as far. I store the power cord for my GPS there and the Apple cord for the stereo system, the cords stay there so I don't have to keep plugging or unplugging them.

Attachments

• 8800 3.jpg
    8800 3.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 565

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the ideas and input everyone. More is appreciated.

CptCrunch, I like your idea for the head unit but I do use that center storage area a lot. So it is an option doing the same thing like you did.

I'm still trying to decide where to put the FT-7800 head unit. I've also considered mounting it up on the headliner near the sun-glass holder and moon roof control, as well as mounting the head unit on a bracket (like one used for a SiriusXM radio or cell phone) on the dash near the radio controls. I have a Wouxon KG-UV920-P-A I bought a few years ago for my home shack but haven used it, so I was thinking on possibly using that two-way instead.

As for my scanner, I'm going to place it in the center storage console. That seems to be the best place for it and I have seen a picture of one mounted in there. Just trying to figure out the best way to mount it.

More ideas, advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

As for

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
I have a 2013 Explorer with the vista sunroof as well. There is plenty of room for an NMO antenna mount. Worked out well for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.