Pro 668 Stand Alone CPU Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Okay, how can this be accomplished? A Pro 668 stuck in CPU update mode.

Whistler is really going to extort people for $100 for a scanner they did not design, did not make, did not market, and did not sell? Now, that's one heck of a business model...

Additionally, in the even that the scanner caught the Whistler Virus, is it really expected that people are going to buy another scanner from Whistler? Heck, it might work. Probably, it has a lot. Pretty questionable though.

If anyone knows how to solve this problem, please let me know. Scanner shows up in device manager... Same sort of routine problem with the Whistler branded scanners, there's just not a stand alone updater for the 668.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
...or even for the people who haven't mistakenly used other tools. It would be like a single line of code to upload a CPU updater for the other branded scanners. It's not the fault of the owners that RS went under, but GRE/Whistler, whoever, did make the decision to license with them. The user didn't cheap out on driver certificates and connection code development, either.

If this is unacceptable, perhaps post an older version of the Pro-668 programming software, which, on a hunch, might connect to the scanners.

There are certain populations of people who are likely to buy scanners from a company in the future. Those who have bought the scanner line in the past are at the top of the list. I fail to see the business logic in not being overly helpful to the top consumer demographic.

If the older GRE & RS scanners fail to be adequate, keep in mind that the 436 is currently about $100 less than the TRX, and most people don't need NXDN.

One can try to convolute the issue, but the fact is that Whistler could easily offer the tools to allow these scanners to work. And when they failed to, they choose extortion as the EZ Scam quick buck route and to attack those who adapted the software to allow the older scanners to work.

I push a lot of Whistler scanners to people, but this is kinda getting ridiculous. It doesn't matter how tight--or even red--the balance sheet is, you've got to treat people right.

DJ11DLN

Not sure what you're upset about. $60 is a good deal to get full support for an orphaned radio. Or $90 if you got caught with too new a version of the pirated FW. As far as Whistler's right to protect their intellectual properties, that has been cussed and discussed elsewhere here and is IMHO pretty much of a dead horse.

If your 668 is still factory and just stuck and and you just want to load the factory 668 FW, try removing the batteries and holding down the power button for up to a minute at a time, then try to load the stock FW. You may have to do this several times. But if you used EricCottrell's tool and had Whistler FW on it, that's a different process.

As far as the driver issues, that too has been beaten to death. It's a Windows issue, not a Whistler issue. MS's papa-knows-best attitude towards their end users is what causes all the problems that we have to painfully work around.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
HI Aggie ! Not sure what you are ranting about, lol, but so nice to see you again. Come see us at the Uniden Forums sometime. Greg

SCPD

QRT
The Pro668 is a Radio Shack product and was made by GRE.
If you format the SD card and try resetting it up with EZscan it should work.
Like above says user says you should be able to go back to the 668 firmware if you can find it
if all else fails try the GRE PSR800 firmware but be sure to use the 800 version of EZscan to try that.
If you put modded Whistler firmware on a Pro668 you have a mismatch and you are beat.
Pay Whistler and get the thing 1088 updated,then you will have DMR.
The 436HP is not as sensitive as the GRE/668 so why be silly and ditch it?
You want to go that route put me in line for that radio if its clean looking.
I balled up mine,it can be fixed,dont fret.

https://forums.radioreference.com/r...-668-since-windows-10-update.html#post2431669

take a gander at that post maybe that helps you

$400 for the 436 or $60 to upgrade? Hows it go? Penny smart /dollar foolish

Last edited:

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Howdy fanboys, is there a link to the original firmware?

When you buy a product line, generally you assume service for the existing customers. Especially if this is the base that will buy your product again in the future.

Whistler abandoned the product and then cried when someone supported it. Had they continued support, that never would have been an issue. If what was supported by others was stolen, that's a different issue that I fully support them addressing. But people can download whatever they want on their own devices.

The problem is that there is no standalone updater. Extorting $100 just so the scanner has the right identification code to work with the 1080 CPU updater is ridiculous. These folks don't even need DMR.

An additional problem is poor documentation.

I'm not looking to have some sort of debate with fanboys, I'm just stating the facts and looking for a solution. If there is no reasonable solution, how can I recommend to people with a straight face to keep purchasing from the company who intentionally abandoned them?

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Aggie..they abandoned me twice, I sent two radios back, bought the Uniden 536 to add to the collection, was very happy, and Whistler lost another customer.

(Drum Roll/Rim Shot Please)

ansul1001

#1 Member
I agree with you on this one the whole firmware thing has left a sour taste in my mouth about whistler and i to will never buy another scanner from them. Uniden is a far better choice

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
GREfwTool 2.0.3 + PRO668e_U2.4.bin + WS1080e_U4.5.bin + dsp_0101
DropMeFiles

Trojan:Win32/Spursint.F!cl detected by MS Security Essentials - Quarantined & Deleted

Items:
file:C:\Users\....\Desktop\GREFwTool.rar
webfile:C:\Users\......\Desktop\GREFwTool.rar| (h)ttp://drop31.dropmefiles.com/dl/H0vuq|chrome.exe

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
My apologies. I only reported what I got from MS SE.

Thank you, both of you, for the AV tip.

kd7ckq

interesting. I get runtime errors when I run it. I even tried my old computer that had it running perfect. Now I get run time errors on both my machines. I tried reinstalling it with the same error.

kd7ckq

I am getting;
----------------------------------------------------------------
This application failed to start because it could not find or locate the Qt platform plugin "windows" in "".

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
----------------------------------------------------------------

on both of my computers.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Okay, how can this be accomplished? A Pro 668 stuck in CPU update mode.

Whistler is really going to extort people for $100 for a scanner they did not design, did not make, did not market, and did not sell? Now, that's one heck of a business model...

Additionally, in the even that the scanner caught the Whistler Virus, is it really expected that people are going to buy another scanner from Whistler? Heck, it might work. Probably, it has a lot. Pretty questionable though.

If anyone knows how to solve this problem, please let me know. Scanner shows up in device manager... Same sort of routine problem with the Whistler branded scanners, there's just not a stand alone updater for the 668.
Hello,

The Pro-668 is stuck in CPU update mode because the CPU program was erased on the scanner. You can use the firmware update feature of the original Pro-668 iScan PC program to reload the CPU program into the scanner. The iScan PC program will fetch the latest version of the Pro-668 CPU program from the Whistler website.

73 Eric

n3617400

interesting. I get runtime errors when I run it. I even tried my old computer that had it running perfect. Now I get run time errors on both my machines. I tried reinstalling it with the same error.

it's not Eric's exe files
i compiled source files myself
maybe something went wrong
i do not know Qt, specifically install it for this case
maybe someone who has the Eric's original files to share it.

SCPD

QRT
If you run modified firmware how is that Radio Shack or Whistler's fault? Its your fault!
If you drop your device in the water, you modified it, no manufacturer on earth will touch something that is changed from its original status.
If they said $70 to fix it, why get mad?Instead of putzing it up worse, I would send it to Whistler or you're out what you paid for your scanner wether you buy a Whistler or a Uniden or nothing.
If you try "hitting it with the modified firmware again " .Tried that? ,and it doesn't work, you goofed it up
You wanna further putz with it try using the GRE PSR-800 version of Ezscan and perhaps it may get er goin.
The scanner will say GRE PSR800 but you can change that in the software.
I think this is how I fixed my 668 when I goofed it up.
The GRE 800 and the PRO668 are the same exact scanner,so is the Ws1080.

http://www.greamerica.com/ <<< to get the software utility

Last edited:

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
It's ALWAYS the users fault, you see!!!

Howdy Fanboy,

I know it wasn't touched with the DMR upgrade loader that is out there. But it was used with EZ Scam, which apparently accepted to connect to the device in so much as the device now has no firmware.

It's on Whistler to make sure that "unauthorized", to use their words, scanners do not connect to the software. (Keep in mind that there is a lot of stuff out there that now says to use EZ Scam for the 668).

The problem is that there is no standalone CPU updater for this scanner. Some folks have sent me some options to try, but I haven't gotten around to it.

There is so much contempt for scanner owners on these forums that it blows my mind. "User error" is indeed product error. Until people want to realize that, expect a lot of frustration and a shrinking customer base. Otherwise, I hope you are content with the 150 people that want to fuss with the devices.

Things should just work, and the documentation should be useful.

I am trying to make things easier, and cooperation would be appreciated.

I'm not going to provide links, but I'm sure a search on this forum for "CPU" will show that I am not the only one with problems updating firmware on this line of scanners that is currently marketed by Whistler. Despite what may have been done in the past, Whistler controls how easy these devices are to operate and they get the reward of making a profit or loss on the scanner line at this point.

A little good will goes a long way. Perhaps their bean counters think that the EZ Scam will make more money than merely releasing a CPU stand alone update and having happy customers. People make the bed they get to lay in.

So anyone buying a Whistler 1080, Whistler 1088, Whistler 1095, Whistler 1098, Whistler TRX-1, Whistler TRX-2 police radio scanner should be wary of what sort of experience they can expect a few years down the road. These devices are substantial investments for many of the owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.