• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Flat rate repair pricing (xts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
I have an XTS2500 that i probably need to send out for repair.
I'm looking at between 175-300 for a flat rate repair (obviously out of warranty) from different shops online.
Is this pretty much the industry pricing for this service, and does anyone have any specific shops that they would like to recommend or tell me to avoid?

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I work at a radio shop. Let me see what flat rate is. We typically see DMR equipment, XPR units.
Whats wrong with the unit?

SCPD

QRT
I am in your neck of the woods. Like mentioned what exactly is the unit doing or not doing?

DisasterGuy

Those prices are very low generally for Depot flat repair from most manufacturers. I haven't looked at Motorola Depot rates for a couple years as our Motorola fleet is pretty small but pricing in the $500-700 range for public safety subscriber Depot service is pretty common from most manufacturers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Slow to power up, which is weird.
Screen lights up but no display.

Power on beep, transmit light, but unknown if transmitting.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
also, im going to, hopefully tomorrow, put it on the programmer, delete the summer programming from it, reflash the codeplug to the usual new mexico one, so i can do some RF tests on it.

SCPD

QRT
Sounds like a board component issue. If you could get it flat rate in probably would be best bet. If you have another radio around you could try the housing with the other flex cables. I've seen the xts act up when the flex has issues. However I'm leaning to the rf board, either something failing or going to fail. It would probably be best to flat rate it in, specially if your use is public safety or mission critical. Never hurts to try another housing and flex though I've seen some funky things occur but highly doubted in your case. If it is used as a fire radio then some form of failure from water, heat may have occured overtime. If you can flat rate it this would be your best option if it's mission critical use in volunteer nature.

You could try a original codeplug and see what occurs if it improves. Slow boot, slow service mode possibly a eeprom taking a dump.

com501

Do you know the history on this radio? Did someone force a codeplug into it that it isn't happy with?

There have been a lot of 'non-factory' XTS's lately popping into our shop that have had strange issues....

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
literally the only 2500 i have in service. everything else is 5000's.

This radio usually isnt frontline mission critical, this summer it came with me because it was in the kit with the 5000's. Got programmed and was mostly used as an off duty monitor radio and for mutual aid, since I didnt have the surrounding areas in my issued BK's at first.

It was just fine all summer until the day my assignment ended, and then it got packed (badly) in the box with a bunch of other radio gear, rather then back in the foam filled pelican. Figure 3 days of travel in the back of the truck thru hot nevada, utah, colorado, and new mexico probably didnt help it.

Could be heat, could have been squashed.

Either way, i'm going to look at my list of preferred vendors and do a flat rate repair with them, which will probably run me $100 cheaper then a moto depot, plus its out of pocket funds, rather then department funds, so I cant use my agency MOL account for the repair.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Do you know the history on this radio? Did someone force a codeplug into it that it isn't happy with?

agency surplus. literally my former issued radio. I had first pick of the batch and took mine because it was in the best shape.

No weird codeplug funkyness, just FPP and CPS reprograms on authorized programming laptops

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
If it is an AN version Motorola Depot won't do anything with it and you will need to send it to someone like Sunny's if you don't know of any others.

Motorola still repairs the BN's and the $393 price is correct.

com501

The most common failure is the PWB that connects between the display flex and the flex to the radio. The flat board in the front of the housing that the flex for the display plug in to. The connector literally comes unsoldered and falls off the board.. We usually replace the display and the board together, especially of the display is original and not the newer one ending in 001.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Agency radio tech told me to hit the monitor button to lock open squelch, and then leave it on overnight to discharge the battery, then fully charge it while off.

And...

Attachments

• IMG_0940.jpg
    IMG_0940.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 232
Status
Not open for further replies.