• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola DTR vs. Engenius Durawalkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowboy23

Internet searches bring up plenty of general info, reviews and comments about DTR radios. Yet the same cannot be said about Durawalkies. No reviews at dealer websites and very few comments in forums like this. The radios are very similar in design but nobody pays attention to Durawalkies. Why is this? I am considering purchasing and have not made up my mind. I would like to hear from anybody and everybody but especially from people that have actually used both.

Lowboy23

Yep, that's where the similarities end. Just like that's where the defunct Trisquare and DTR similarities end except everyone compares those. I know the Durawalkie is not as well known as the DTR, but has anyone actually used one?

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
May be I'm looking at it wrong, but doesn't the durawalkie require a base set (durafon pro) for two durawalkie's to communicate? That seems like a huge difference compared to moto dtr's. The one review I did manage to find wasn't a good one. And the price for a durawalkie and a durafon pro seems very high for what it is.

Lowboy23

No base required. That is why I say two-way only. Some other Engenius handset models do require a base, but not the Durawalkie. There are more similarities than dissimilarities between the Tsxs, Dtrs and the Durawalkie.

Lowboy23

Oh, Mr. Jones I forgot to comment on price. The lowball price I have found on the DTR650 is about $220.00 shipped and the Durawalkie $197.00 shipped.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
No base required. That is why I say two-way only. Some other Engenius handset models do require a base, but not the Durawalkie. There are more similarities than dissimilarities between the Tsxs, Dtrs and the Durawalkie.

I must have overlooked that. I would be curious to hear some actual user reviews myself.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I have not used the Durawalkie, but I would say that tiny non-removable antenna is going to be a big factor in range. The 1/2 waves on the DTRs are amazing. The durawalkies remind me more of the 410s without the removable antennas.

Lowboy23

Au contraire alcahuete, it is removable. Read carefully at engeniustech.com and dealer websites. Each Durawalkie is supplied with a stubby and a 1/2 wave.

tj20

Have to say I am intrigued, I have never heard of Durawalkie. There are a few things about it on youtube. This looks like it would be easier to program than my dtr550's for private talk. For them I have to find a computer from 1995

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I saw where it said the antenna was removable and that they sold a "short" and "long antenna. But under the antenna connector section it was listed "not standard" which makes me wonder what antenna connection they are using. Sounds like you're tied to their accessories. Which isn't necessarily all that uncommon I suppose. At least it is removable.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Au contraire alcahuete, it is removable. Read carefully at engeniustech.com and dealer websites. Each Durawalkie is supplied with a stubby and a 1/2 wave.

You're right! Didn't catch that.

tj20 said:
This looks like it would be easier to program than my dtr550's for private talk. For them I have to find a computer from 1995

Huh?? You get a $2 USB converter on Amazon and you use Windows 7/8/10 whatever. I've used all 3 to program the DTRs without any difficulty.

tj20

Huh?? You get a $2 USB converter on Amazon and you use Windows 7/8/10 whatever. I've used all 3 to program the DTRs without any difficulty.

Ok, did not know. I have never heard of people doing this. I know you can update firmware with usb but not program it. I will have to give it a try

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Ok, did not know. I have never heard of people doing this. I know you can update firmware with usb but not program it. I will have to give it a try

Oh yes! It makes it SO easy to do. Just use the normal CPS (free). USB to RS232 Serial DB9 adapter is what's needed. Mine was about $8, because it was an actual cable, but I've seen just the adapters as low as $2-$3.

Status
Not open for further replies.