• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

4 radios, 1 speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I have a small car and can only fit 1 speaker in it but I will be running 4 radios (2 scanners plus 2 radios to be named later). What’s the best way to mix the signals? Would a audio mixer like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KGYAYQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
That looks like it has an unbalanced input.

The problem you will have is that most modern radios have a balanced amplifier that works properly only when driving a speaker or a transformer. There were some stereo to mono speaker mixers that used transformers in a passive arrangement. This could be done with four transformers to drive a single speaker. You need the transformer isolation whether you do this with a mixer amp or without, or you will damage the radios.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Do you have a product recommendation? The speaker I’m using is actually two speakers tied together, and I could modify it to separate them into 2 individual speakers in one enclosure.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
You could use that 4-channel "unbalanced" mixer (i.e. the mixer inputs/output share a common ground connection) if you added the following parts:

Qty 4 Isolation transformers. One of these plugs into the earphone output of each scanner.
https://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-1-3-5-3-5-mm-Isolator/dp/B001EAQTRI

Qty 4 3.5mm stereo female to 1/4" male Adapter. These plug into each input of the mixer and the isolation transformers plug into them.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...s94Ccj-4DhbMCl3XXbY01D3j3zRvPbSMaAgSeEALw_wcB

You will also need an amplified speaker since the output of the mixer is low-level audio. A Uniden BC23A is a good choice.
https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BC23A-Communications-Speaker/dp/B009TNAGDA

You will need a 1/4 mono male to 3.5mm stereo female Adapter from the output of the mixer to the amplified speaker.
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Metal-6-35mm-Stereo-Adaptor/dp/B004C4UQZE

There are other solutions available but the above should work with the mixer you found.
Doing a quick search, I could not find a 4-input "balanced" mixer at a reasonable price (under $100).

Last edited:

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
You can fit 4 radios in a small car but can't find space for 4 small speakers. Small speakers can be mounted under the seat under the dash . An improperly wired mixer can damage the audio section of a radio

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
Is there some other type of amp that will allow me to use an unpowered speaker. I’m driving a 2011 Ford Fiesta and I’m running out of space on the kick panels. My current speaker is mounted with Velcro by my dome light.

RFI-EMI-GUY

You can do it passively with one of these transformers for each receiver and one for the speaker. For 4 receivers, you would need 5 of them. You would bridge each transformer at the 70V winding. Use the 4 ohm windings for each receiver and the speaker. No power required, mount them on a board or in a box with terminal strips.

https://www.parts-express.com/70v-1...source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

BushDoctor

Speaker locations

I have a small car and can only fit 1 speaker in it but I will be running 4 radios (2 scanners plus 2 radios to be named later). What’s the best way to mix the signals? Would a audio mixer like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KGYAYQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

LOCATE SPEAKERS
One in each kick panel L&R or lower front of front doors and the rear shelf in front of the rear window should be pre-drilled for 2 speakers

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
There are already stereo speakers there in the front door and the rear speakers would go in the rear doors, not the rear shelf. There is metal bracing below the shelf, not allowing for any speakers.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Four audio sources into on speaker will be badly distorted if all four sources are active at the same time.

Have you considered modifying the headrests and installing speakers inside them? Or installing them in the kick panels, or door panels?

RFI-EMI-GUY

Four audio sources into on speaker will be badly distorted if all four sources are active at the same time.

Have you considered modifying the headrests and installing speakers inside them? Or installing them in the kick panels, or door panels?
Not if the power levels are reasonable.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber

They probably won’t. It will be two scanners and then eventually a ham radio mobile unit and either a CB or GMRS radio for traveling.

If any of them are being overly talkative, I’ll just turn it down.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
You can do it passively with one of these transformers for each receiver and one for the speaker. For 4 receivers, you would need 5 of them. You would bridge each transformer at the 70V winding. Use the 4 ohm windings for each receiver and the speaker. No power required, mount them on a board or in a box with terminal strips.

https://www.parts-express.com/70v-1...source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

Just for clarification, is that 4Ω lines for the speaker outputs, a series loop on the 70V lines and then the finial for the speaker on the radios + 1 4Ω line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

Just for clarification, is that 4Ω lines for the speaker outputs, a series loop on the 70V lines and then the finial for the speaker on the radios + 1 4Ω line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No series loop.

70 volt taps all bridge each other. Example all 10W 70V wires tied together, and then all the corresponding 70V common wires tied together. The receivers can drive 4 or 8 ohm taps, the speaker taps the last #5 transformer at the appropriate 4 or 8 ohms.

I think Philmore used to make something like this to bridge the stereo output of a car radio into one mono speaker. It is no longer sold. Motorola used to sell a dual voice coil speaker , but that was decades ago.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
At this point it might be easier to just modify the speakers.

You may be right. If you can find room for two of these dual-speaker assemblies (4 speakers total) AND you can wire each speaker to its own separate speaker cable, that will greatly simplify things. If you do this be certain that the speaker cable from each scanner is only connected to its speaker ONLY and than no connections are made from a scanners speaker output to another scanner or to ground. This is critical! In other words you are making four separate speakers with four SEPERATE cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.