Kenwood: TM-V71A VGS-1 Continuous Recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I am trying to setup my Kenwood TM-V71A mobile radio for continuous recording. I have successfully installed the VGS-1 chip to the circuit board. I have tried following the directions in the menu however I do not seem to be getting the results I am expecting.

I can get the radio to record audio and play it back however I have to tell it when to record even though I have the continuous recording feature already turned on. I would like to it continuously record as much audio as possible and then write over the oldest audio as it records new audio.

Has anyone else ran into issues like this or have any suggestions/recommendations? Or is what I am expecting out of the radio not even possible?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Can't say I ever knew of the vgs1 to just record like that. I know with the nx5000, it's based on activity.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I got the vgs-1 installed in mine, but you've got me. I don't use the recording feature. I use mine mainly for the voice annunciation and crossband id features.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

FKimble

For continuous recording, I use Audacity on my PC. I run a patch cable from the external speaker jack to the input of my PC. The audio comes out my PC speakers and anything coming out the PC speakers can be recorded. You can change setting to mono to double the length of recording time. You can also record continuously or use VOX settings to just record actual audio. The software allows you to automatically mark the gaps between audio and silence a couple different ways. Recording time is limited only by your harddrive. And you can go in and edit the audio easily.

Frank KK4YTM

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
According to the following description, only 30 seconds of continuous audio can be captured. Is that enough for your purpose?

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/2949.html

Yeah this would be more than enough time for what I am looking for doing. However the radio does not seem to continuously record. It shows the icon as if it is recording however I cannot get it to ever play back the most recent activity. It seems to only record when I tell it to record.

I must be doing something wrong. Or not selecting the right playback option.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
For continuous recording, I use Audacity on my PC. I run a patch cable from the external speaker jack to the input of my PC. The audio comes out my PC speakers and anything coming out the PC speakers can be recorded. You can change setting to mono to double the length of recording time. You can also record continuously or use VOX settings to just record actual audio. The software allows you to automatically mark the gaps between audio and silence a couple different ways. Recording time is limited only by your harddrive. And you can go in and edit the audio easily.

Frank KK4YTM

Thanks for sharing however this unit is in my vehicle and I don't have a computer mounted in there so this would not be an option for me. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.