TRX-2: Will EZ Scan software ever be fixed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Will we ever be able to organized channels in a scan list ? As it is my scan list are a mess, channels go in random order I have no control over. This stinks big time ! :mad:

budevans

Will EZ Scan software ever be fixed ?
Huh???? You can sort Scanlists, Conventional Frequencies, Trunked Radio Systems.

Simply click on the any of the Headers (Rec#, Alpha Tag, Frequency, Mode, Squelch, etc.....) to sort.

diskmonger

Huh???? You can sort Scanlists, Conventional Frequencies, Trunked Radio Systems.

Simply click on the any of the Headers (Rec#, Alpha Tag, Frequency, Mode, Squelch, etc.....) to sort.

Huh??? Just because you can sort in EZScan doesn't mean it's sorted in the radio when you write it. So, if I want to add an additional conventional channel to a scan list it goes on the end, there is no moving it around or putting it with the "other" similar channels.

So, if I ever want to browse the objects in the radio they are unorganized.

diskmonger

Well, that is probably true, but for the users who like to keep things organized it's a real pain. Seems like it should be an easy thing to implement.

budevans

Organize by Scanlists. Any object (conventional frequency or a trunk system Talk Group) can be added to any or all Scanlists.

One thing to keep in mind, conventional freq's are scanned at roughly 70 per second. So keep conventional (analog or digital) frequencies to 70 or less (for 1 second search response time).

Trunk systems with Talk Groups technically don't scan. It's just the next Talk Group that becomes active is what you hear. Set the number of Talk Groups in a Scanlist based on what you want to hear. The bigger the list, the less likely you are to hear a specific talk group.

Being able to sort in Ez Scan is an easy way to see (review) how you've grouped things.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
EZ Scan works great for me. I will take it any day over the 536's software...yuck.

DJ11DLN

EZ Scan works great for me. I will take it any day over the 536's software...yuck.
I won't argue with that basic sentiment.

I don't have a problem with E-Z Scan. I'm also not OCD about order of objects in scanlists. For me it is a results-oriented world and so long as I hear the traffic, I'm happy.

No offense was intended to anyone by any part of this post.

troymail

Silent Key
I think the issue being mentioned is that there is no way to sort objects (talkgroups, radio ids, etc.) and have it honored when writing to the radio (or be honored on import).

For example, say you have a set of talkgroups that look like the table below, this is the order they appear by default in EZ Scan and on the radio (ordered by talkgroup ID). Note how in this case the "TAC" talkgroups are all over the place. This makes it a challenge to browse and then step down to the talkgroup you want (and this is a small "system").

While not as direct, I believe this is an example of why the "search function" (Fn + 9) was created in more recent firmware releases (a feature that existed on the older model radios but was initially dropped).

There are features in both GRE/Whistler, Uniden, and Unication radios and programming software (Unication's PPS is the one most lacking) that I really would like to see changed but at the same time there are things I like about each of them as well (same as for the radios themselves).

Even if third party vendors developed programming software, we would still never be 100% satisfied because there are some features that are wanted and needed by everyone (and you'll get) while other features would only serve a small group of people. In the latter case, the only way you will get everything you want would be if they allowed you to pay for that request and I'm betting you wouldn't want to pay what they would ask for that work (I don't think I would)....

Attachments

• BrunswickNC Talkgroups.jpg
    BrunswickNC Talkgroups.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 851

budevans

Huh??? Just because you can sort in EZScan doesn't mean it's sorted in the radio when you write it. So, if I want to add an additional conventional channel to a scan list it goes on the end, there is no moving it around or putting it with the "other" similar channels.

So, if I ever want to browse the objects in the radio they are unorganized.

I can see your point regarding trying to browse objects. I have several thousand objects in my scanner. They appear to be organized based on their initial import. But, to your point they aren't organized in a specific pattern. So searching for an object (without some kind of reference) is an act of frustration.

That brings me back to Scanlists. In my experience, looking for an object by searching through a Scanlist is very doable. After all, you created and hopefully organized the Scanlists. So you should know their contents.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
The scanlists/objects are "programmed" and organized any way you want them to be, if you know how to do it. Unless I'm missing something...

If you want to be able to browse certain objects only then create a scanlist with only those objects. It doesn't really matter what order they are actually being scanned (unless you're particularly anal) due to the scan rate.

Now an old analog scanner I might understand you'd want a certain order because they used to scan a lot slower.

Ubbe

In Uniden scanners I program a frequency that have multiple users using different subtones so that the order they are scanned will be first the ones with subtones and last a search for new subtones/users. I wouldn't even think of doing that with a whistler, if they also "smartscan" by sorting everything in frequency order. I prefere doing my own scan order to suit my needs.

I understand now why editing scanlist are not possible in EZscan as it has no purpose if the scan order are changed anyhow in the scanner.

/Ubbe

lakeside121

Premium Subscriber
here in SC pal 800 has switched over to PAL P25 seems that the db is conflicting with the software when i import maybe 2 to 3 freq are missing from the DB/RR i do not even have import CC/VC only enabled so every time i update i have to go back check all freq make sure there added most the of the time theirs 1 or 2 that haven't been imported out of 20 or more sites and have to input them manually so frustrating

so importing 50+ sites 20 of them im going to have to add 2 or maybe 4 freq WTH

troymail

Silent Key
here in SC pal 800 has switched over to PAL P25 seems that the db is conflicting with the software when i import maybe 2 to 3 freq are missing from the DB/RR i do not even have import CC/VC only enabled so every time i update i have to go back check all freq make sure there added most the of the time theirs 1 or 2 that haven't been imported out of 20 or more sites and have to input them manually so frustrating

so importing 50+ sites 20 of them im going to have to add 2 or maybe 4 freq WTH

What software are you using?

EDIT: Sorry - given this is a TRX thread I assume you are using EZ Scan (at least now I do).... I just did an import (library v. 542 dated Saturday, September 30th) and it seems to be importing all of the frequencies - at least when I look at the first three (of 89) sites (Moncks - 7 freqs, Charleston State - 8 freqs, Charleston County - 24 freqs, etc.).

Several sites have been updated in the last few days and some even in the last 24 hours so some of those changes may not be reflected in the library until this coming Saturday.

Are you using the most current library version?

Last edited:

lakeside121

Premium Subscriber
Whistler TRX-2 EZscan v3.9

Whistler Group and RadioReference are not responsible for errors, omissions or outdated Library data.

yes this did this on greenwood site and newberry site just to name a few

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.