Talk Group Wildcard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd5yuk

What exactly does a wildcard do and why do I need one? Do I need a wildcard for each talk group or just each scanlist?

ME343

ME/NH/VT DB Admin
Database Admin
What exactly does a wildcard do and why do I need one? Do I need a wildcard for each talk group or just each scanlist?
A wildcard is basically like an ID Search for trunk systems. It'll display talkgroups you don't have in the scanner for a Certain trunk system. Personally I'd recommend having one for each trunk system you have.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire

You must have a wildcard to "search" for TGIDs. If you don't then your scanner will just SCAN the TGIDs that you have programmed.

troymail

Silent Key
You must have a wildcard to "search" for TGIDs. If you don't then your scanner will just SCAN the TGIDs that you have programmed.

^ this - (Whistler) WILDCARD = (Uniden) ID Search = "find me talkgroups (or private call/radios) that the radio doesn't know about (are not programmed into it).

More tips...

Keep in mind that this also means that if you don't program/import all the talkgroups for a given system *and* you create a WILDCARD, the radio will start showing you talkgroup IDs - even if they might already be known.

In other words, if you want to use a WILDCARD and try and find new talkgroups, be sure to program/import ALL of the known stuff and then lock out what you don't want to hear. This ensures that the WILDCARD doesn't stop on things that are already known.

mmhorn

Wildcard

Quite simply, the wildcard will allow the scanner to display talkgroups you do not already have entered in that system. You can then research them on the RadioReference website and enter them manually to be monitored or locked out if you do not wish to hear that traffic. I find many new talkgroups thru this method.

SYZ1165

Premium Subscriber
Adding talkgroup to an existing trunks system

I have a TRX-1 and I would like to find out exactly how to add a talk group to an existing trunks system I tried doing so but I do not know if it’s successful because I have yet to hear any communications can someone please help ? Also in the progress of trying to program a new tub group I’ve come across the word TGID wildcard I am still confused on what a wildcard is when I use the right arrow a bunch of numbers came up and then I entered the talk group ID and saved and named it was I doing this correctly ?

troymail

Silent Key
I have a TRX-1 and I would like to find out exactly how to add a talk group to an existing trunks system I tried doing so but I do not know if it’s successful because I have yet to hear any communications can someone please help ? Also in the progress of trying to program a new tub group I’ve come across the word TGID wildcard I am still confused on what a wildcard is when I use the right arrow a bunch of numbers came up and then I entered the talk group ID and saved and named it was I doing this correctly ?

Editing on the radio directly can be confusing. It's best (if possible) to make these changes inside the EZ Scan software and then write them to the radio.

A "wildcard" talkgroup/object will search for any talkgroup that is not specifically programmed.

In the most common case, you would import a complete trunked system from the library. This would include all known and reported/submitted talkgroups. Doing nothing else, you'd only hear the talkgroups that people have found/heard in the past and submitted to the Radio Reference database.

Adding a "wildcard" talkgroup to that programming will result in you hearing any additional or new talkgroups that have not yet been found and submitted.

SYZ1165

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the information and I do understand that using the software would be easier but I am not near a computer and would like to do it through the scanner itself can you provide the information for programming a single talk group number from someone else on another radio reference forum the ID tag is 35085

troymail

Silent Key
Press the MENU button
Scroll to Program Menu and press SEL
Scroll to Edit System and press SEL
scroll to/select the system
Scroll to Add Talkgroup and press SEL
Scroll to TGID Wildcard and press SEL
enter the TG ID value and press SEL
Scroll to Set Scanlists and press SEL
assign the scanlist(s) for this object
Press the LEFT arrow or MENU to exit the Set Scanlist option
Scroll back up to Save Changes and press SEL to return to the Edit System menu
Scroll up to Save Changes and press SEL
Press MENU then SEL to start scanning again

SYZ1165

Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much for confirming talk group programming the Whistler scanners looks like we did everything correctly I suppose the talk group we are listening to is just very inactive, thanks again at least we know we were doing something right

troymail

Silent Key
Thank you very much for confirming talk group programming the Whistler scanners looks like we did everything correctly I suppose the talk group we are listening to is just very inactive, thanks again at least we know we were doing something right

The one that always gets me is making sure I remember to assign the desired scanlist number -- if not, you may not be scanning/looking for that TGID...

Jphila20

Retired LE. Honor our Fallen.
Premium Subscriber
Since the TRX-2 has so many "banks", when looking for additional TG's I have one "bank" just for Wildcards. This way I can turn it on/off at will.

Ubbe

You only need to enter one wildcard for TG and one for private call in one scanlist.
Then on that wildcard you set it to be used in all scanlist. You don't have to enter it in all lists and set alerts, lights and delays for each one over and over again.

/Ubbe

tikev

Hi,

Talking about wildcard, is there a possibility to quickly Skip or L/O a talkgroup found by a Wildcard object (other thant Menu -* Store Wildcard, and then wait for the scanner to stop on the new object)?

If we press Skip while on a wildcard group, it's the wildcard object that will be skipped.
It would be nice to have a way to do it quickly like the TG L/O function on the PSR-500 (if I remember correctly the name of this button...)

Thanks!
tikev

troymail

Silent Key
Hi,

Talking about wildcard, is there a possibility to quickly Skip or L/O a talkgroup found by a Wildcard object (other thant Menu -* Store Wildcard, and then wait for the scanner to stop on the new object)?

If we press Skip while on a wildcard group, it's the wildcard object that will be skipped.
It would be nice to have a way to do it quickly like the TG L/O function on the PSR-500 (if I remember correctly the name of this button...)

Thanks!
tikev
Nope - that's it. If you press SKIP during the "raw" wildcard hit, you'll only lock out the wildcard object.

Upon a wildcard hit, press MENU - then first option displayed should be "Store Wildcard" (or something like that) - then just press enter. When that stored item comes up again, just press SKIP to lock it out.

So, to recap:

To store an active wildcard hit:

MENU
SEL

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Since the TRX-2 has so many "banks", when looking for additional TG's I have one "bank" just for Wildcards. This way I can turn it on/off at will.

Better still, create a separate system entry for that separate scan list specifically for Wildcard use. Enter all of the known talkgroups as before, and lock them out so they don't keep coming up.

By using a separate system, you won't have to lock out any of the known talkgroups in your regular scan lists, should you want to listen to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.