• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G4 not handling P25 system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
FYI - On numerous trips and attempts to figure out why while passing through, I've found at least one (possibly 2) P25 systems that my G4 will not lock onto the control channel. I think I may have mentioned it before...

A few days ago, I actually took the time to park and play with the system in Wilson NC. My scanners were processing the CC (I could hear voice and one was driving Pro96Com). I used a variety of PPS profile configurations during my drives through the area and this time even created a new, dedicated configuration with only this system - using it's posted and detected (with Pro96Com) paramters (they look correct on RRDB) as well as wildcards for WACN, SysId, etc. The G4 just will not lock onto this system.

I've contacted David @ Unication and plan to try and capture some logs with their tools on my trip back through the area next week.

Two requests:

• if anyone has a G4 or G5 and has it working on this system, please advise
  • if anyone has encountered any other P25 systems that will not decode (can't lock onto the control channel) on a G4 or G5, please advise which system(s). Perhaps we can find a common denominator between them....

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
You probably did, but did you do a wildcard for the RFSS and site?

troymail

Silent Key
Yup - tried all kinds of combinations -- since I could see the active CC on Pro96Com, I even tried setting EVERYTHING to a wildcard with the single known CC frequency programmed. Still didn't work.

cpetraglia

I had the same problem with my local system. It had always worked fine and one day quit decoding the CC. What had happened was two of the Freq. identifiers as reported by Pro96Com had disappeared. My scanners still worked fine. I had started a thread about it and David was aware. My Relm KNGs still tracked it, just not the G4. After about 10 days, the identifiers came back and the G4 came to life also. I had sent a long CC readout to David. Nothing was ever determined about the cause. I have never had the problem since. I am sure it was something odd with my local system that the pager just wasn't able to figure out. FYI The system here is MOTO, not EFJ.

trumpetman

Database Admin
The Statesville system will not work either (another EFJ system) although I haven't made time to experiment with different configurations. Scanners and Motorola radios work just fine, but not so much with the G5.

cpetraglia

Since you use Pro96Com, check a few systems that are working (Same Bands) and check the system that is not. I am guessing you will see an apparent difference. That is likely the problem. In my area, all the 800 systems use the exact same freq. identifiers. That's how I noticed the difference when the G4 failed.

troymail

Silent Key
Since you use Pro96Com, check a few systems that are working (Same Bands) and check the system that is not. I am guessing you will see an apparent difference. That is likely the problem. In my area, all the 800 systems use the exact same freq. identifiers. That's how I noticed the difference when the G4 failed.

The only thing that jumps out... now in common with the other NC system mentioned above... is the "00001" WACN.

I've programmed and monitored many (many) other systems but I believe they all have 5 character/digit WACN 's

trumpetman

Database Admin
I've tested this on Motorola & Harris P25 systems successfully but the only common denominator is EFJ systems don't work.

The band plan for this EF Johnson system in Statesville follows the same as the typical 800/700 band plan:
851.00625, -45, 12.5
762.00625, +30, 12.5

The Harris system in Hickory uses a custom channel ID band plan and the pager functions properly.

I'll have to tinker with a few configurations and make different settings wildcard to see if that changes anything, but at this point I doubt that'll do much good. The G5 isn't even trying to switch to a voice channel during talk grants, it just sits there idle. Not sure, will have to continue to test and see where this thread goes.

The next big test is to see how it tracks a Cassidian system in Buncombe County...we'll see how that goes soon enough...

troymail

Silent Key
Well, I attempted to use the Unication diagnostic tool on my drive back through Wilson on Monday. Unfortunately, I guess I needed more time to learn and practice with it to capture the DSP and AP logs .. which seems crazy since it's a simple panel that asked you to pick a log dump folder and then just two buttons to create logs....

Once home, I noticed that (a) the DSP log only contained an error message that seemed to indicate I needed to run it as administrator (I never saw anything in the usage notes about that) and (b) the AP log wasn't created at all....

Since coming home, I played a bit more and got the tool to work when running it as administrator but that won't help much until I get back up that way on my next drive (likely will be months).

On the other hand, I provided David with logs a while back when trying to figure out why the two-tone over P25 isn't working on VIPER (NC) in my area. Apparently those logs were worthless as well. I'm going to try again today as administrator....

Status
Not open for further replies.