Collier County Radio Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcarroll53

Hello guys! I'm new to the forum and just bought my first radio. I will be applying for my technical license (I think that's what it's called) and was wondering what equipment I should get to listen to Collier County Sheriff's Office. I've searched the threads and could only find dated stuff. I know they were switching to P25 this year, but that's all I know. I have a UBV5 scanner if that helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
A UBV5 is a Baofeng two way radio, not a scanner. It will not receive P25 digital radio systems. For Collier County P25 you need a scanner capable of receiving P25 digital transmissions, such as those from Uniden or Whistler. And a license is unnecessary for receiving.

EDIT: according to the database, Collier County is still using an EDACS trunked system. You would still need a Uniden or Whistler scanner to receive it.

jcarroll53

Oh ok, well snap. Could you point me towards a good cheap model that can do both P25 and EDACS?

KC2EIP

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone heard an update when the new Collier County P25 Phase II system will replace EDACS or when it will be operational? Also interested in the scope of any encryption which will likely be coming.

Maybe the hurricane will affect the timeline.

Jcarroll53 I am using a Uniden 436hp, 996, and HP-1 along with a GRE PSR 800 to monitor EDACS in Collier. If you want to be able to monitor the proposed P25 system (if anything is left in the clear) you should get a phase II capable radio like the 436hp, 536hp, HP-2. My old 996 and Hp-1 won't work for the new system.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
You will not find the words "cheap" and "P25" in the same sentence (except this one, and yours). Consider a used P25 Phase 2 scanner until you know how much, if any, encryption Collier will smack down on everyone.

What Ken said about not needing a license to receive is half true - you do need a license if you want to stay 100% legal while listening while you're driving, so don't let that stop you from getting your technician rating. I've had mine since 2006 and have never made contact with any other hams. I travel a lot and I have it to stay legal in case I run into an LEO that actually knows the law.

jcarroll53

You will not find the words "cheap" and "P25" in the same sentence (except this one, and yours). Consider a used P25 Phase 2 scanner until you know how much, if any, encryption Collier will smack down on everyone.

What Ken said about not needing a license to receive is half true - you do need a license if you want to stay 100% legal while listening while you're driving, so don't let that stop you from getting your technician rating. I've had mine since 2006 and have never made contact with any other hams. I travel a lot and I have it to stay legal in case I run into an LEO that actually knows the law.
I see what you mean by not cheap xD $350 was the cheapest I just found on amazon. Thanks to all of you for the help! Time to save up [emoji14]

Status
Not open for further replies.