Adobe Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Hello All! I'm running Windows 7, Fire Fox 55.0.3, and I'm having one hell of a problem with Adobe Flash Player. I know that Fire Fox and AFP don't like each other, but I've had it on my computer for years with no issues.
A few days ago I wanted to download a newer version of AFP. I could get it to go all the way thru the process until I got to the last screen, which I needed to click on the final button to install. The problem is that box is white..nothing inside. just a box. I thought perhaps I should delete the current flash player in my computer..and I did. That did not work however, now I cannot get anything to run right. U-tube, for example, and many web sites are not working correctly.
Yesterday a friend talked me thru installing Google Chrome, that comes with Flash Player, and all is well there. But I DO not want to use Chrome.
Any suggestions? Thanks. Greg

DJ11DLN

No suggestions but I'll be watching this thread. I recently updated Flash (I'm on v.55.0.3/Firefox) and ever since it has been incredibly buggy. Sometimes embedded videos are right there, sometimes there's a message "MIME unrecognized" or something similar. Sometimes they play when I click them, sometimes it just shows a black screen forever. Same deal if I go directly to YouTube, sometimes it works, sometimes it just sits there, sometimes it errors out. Never had that problem before upgrading. So something is screwy. I'm on Windows 10. And I also really dislike Chrome and prefer not to use it.

So I really hope somebody knows what needs fixing and will post it here.

TrackChatter

I dislike Windows 10 with a passion. Instead I run Windows 7 with either Mozilla Firefox or Chrome. If one ever irks me I use the other. The same with my Android. Adobe Flash Player is one of the reasons why I'm still on Windows 7. About the time Windows 10 gets near obsolete I imagine a 'solid' fix will surface. lol

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Sorry I could not get back to this thread sooner. I appreciate everyone's help. I found the answer!

I opened Fire Fox and went to the help page. I typed in a search for "adobe flash." On that page, One link took me to the direct download link. I clicked. It installed within seconds. Who Knew?

Now some of the sites I go to do not automatically activate Adobe Flash. If so, there should be a brown box with a "f" inside; it could be something else as well. I believe I did a right click and it gave me options to run Flash. Then you can choose just one time for the page or always for that page. You never know how much you miss something until its gone.

Hope this helps. Greg

Here is the link: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-flash-plugin-view-videos-animations-games

rbm

I switched to WaterFox browser when bugs and other problems started giving me problems with FireFox.

It's just like FireFox but it runs much better.
It hasn't crashed EVER since I first started using it.

Rich

DJ11DLN

Sorry I could not get back to this thread sooner. I appreciate everyone's help. I found the answer!

I opened Fire Fox and went to the help page. I typed in a search for "adobe flash." On that page, One link took me to the direct download link. I clicked. It installed within seconds. Who Knew?

Now some of the sites I go to do not automatically activate Adobe Flash. If so, there should be a brown box with a "f" inside; it could be something else as well. I believe I did a right click and it gave me options to run Flash. Then you can choose just one time for the page or always for that page. You never know how much you miss something until its gone.

Hope this helps. Greg

Here is the link: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-flash-plugin-view-videos-animations-games
Hmm. I guess I will try uninstalling and reinstalling later (when my IQ recovers a bit -- it's been one of those days). I originally added Flash about a year ago when I got this machine. I'm now showing 3 distinct versions in the plug-ins.:confused:

I just know that it won't play anything after the last update...funny that it worked about 99% prior to that! Maybe the clean-install approach will fix it. I'll check back when I see how that works.

rbm

Yes!
I like WaterFox much better than FireFox .

You'll never be able to see a difference when using WaterFox over Firefox.

In fact, when you install Waterfox, your bookmarks, add-ons, etc. are carried over there and they are just like they were in FireFox.

It seems that WaterFox just has less 'baggage' than FireFox.

However, it's for 64-bit machines.
I've never tried it on my 32-bit computers.

Rich

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterfox

Sorry. Are you saying you like Fire Fox or not?

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
There's really nothing wrong with Firefox. Those having problems are very few, and it's likely due to some other issues, settings, add-ons, etc. I'm using Firefox, and have for years. It works just fine for me all the time, anywhere.

Current version 56.0 64-bit

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

CCT

Hello All! I'm running Windows 7, Fire Fox 55.0.3, and I'm having one hell of a problem with Adobe Flash Player. I know that Fire Fox and AFP don't like each other, but I've had it on my computer for years with no issues.
A few days ago I wanted to download a newer version of AFP. I could get it to go all the way thru the process until I got to the last screen, which I needed to click on the final button to install. The problem is that box is white..nothing inside. just a box. I thought perhaps I should delete the current flash player in my computer..and I did. That did not work however, now I cannot get anything to run right. U-tube, for example, and many web sites are not working correctly.
Yesterday a friend talked me thru installing Google Chrome, that comes with Flash Player, and all is well there. But I DO not want to use Chrome.
Any suggestions? Thanks. Greg

A couple thoughts...
everyone should be running the latest version of adobe flash that is available. Flash is one of the bigger security risks for malware, so get patched to the latest version as soon as it comes out!

The best way to patch is via the get adobe url:
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
make sure to uncheck any "additional offers" before installing.

Keep an eye on the adobe PSIRT website for adobe updates.
https://blogs.adobe.com/psirt/
This will be one of the first places to announce flash updates.
Subscribe to their RSS feed if your a newsfeed type of person.
The PSIRT will link to the latest security bulletin and tell you the new flash version number as well as how to update different browsers.
Here is the current bulletin.

If your not sure what flash version you have, go into windows control panel and click on flash player / updates. It will tell you the version you have installed.

For chrome users, google will auto-push the update to you within a few days. It's pretty seamless, but if you want it right away you can go to: chrome://components/, and click update on adobe flash to push the latest update.

Status
Not open for further replies.