Renaming favourite list files

Status
Not open for further replies.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
I'm wanting to rename each of my favorite lists and I noticed that there is a corresponding .hpi file with each .hpd file. What is the hpi file and will I have to rename it as well to keep it matched with the hpd file?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm wanting to rename each of my favorite lists and I noticed that there is a corresponding .hpi file with each .hpd file. What is the hpi file and will I have to rename it as well to keep it matched with the hpd file?

You can do that from within Sentinel.

Click on the Favorites list you want to rename
Then, click on the a|e icon directly under the disk icon on the line under Edit
That will pop up a window to enter the new name.

Once done renaming, be sure to save your profile changes just as a precaution. You can just click on the disk icon to do that.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Let me rephrase this. I do a lot of my editing with Arc536. When I want to open a list, the box pops up that shows the file name assigned when I first created it, for example, f_0022.hpd. What I'm wanting to do is change the name to 22_TX.hpd. Do I also need to change the name of the hpi file as well?

The reason I'm wanting to do this is because some of my hpd file names don't match the quick key number I have assigned to the list, so when I'm looking for that particular list, if it one that's different, I have to remember why the correct hpd file name is. If I change the name where my quick key number is part of the file name, along with the name of the list so I can quickly identify which one I need to open, it will keep me from opening the wrong list if I forget.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Use ProScan instead if you don't like Sentinel. It gives you the same view of your Favorite Lists that Sentinel does (with some differences in screen formatting), without having to open each .hpd file individually. And it has editing features not available in Sentinel, like a Search & Replace utility. Proscan does everything ARC536 does, and then some, and requires fewer kludges like manually editing/renaming .hpd filenames.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
This is a convoluted matter, so forgive me if I talk in circles.

If a guy was to "look under the hood" at all the files on the SD card that goes with a scanner, you'll see several different types of files. Some might be f---.hpd, some might be s----.hpd with others being *.cfg.

The "S" numbers are part of the full database corresponding to state data.

Those "f---.hpd" files are Favorites List files that you created. Their numbers are based on the order of creation, so f---1.hpd is the first Favorites List file and if you've created 99, the last will be f---99.hpd. These F numbers are not repeated, my suspicion is they function like a unique index file number.

There is also a Favorites List configuration file, f_list.cfg that kind of brings or associates all those F---.hpd files together. As part of this file, there is the name you have given to the Favorites List that is associated with the f---.hpd file.

Because that Favorites List configuration file expects Favorites Lists files to begin with "F", trying to rename them may upset the apple cart.

So its best to let the actual Favorites List files use the file name that is assigned by the software that creates them and not try to fool the thing by renaming the hpd files. The scanner might resist these efforts and give you an unpleasant surprise.

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
OP uses ARC536. Hpd file names have a fixed format and you can not change those names. That will cause issues in the scanner. Instead you can use the fav names editor in ARC536 or manually change the .cfg file contents in notepad.

Gommert
Butel Software

Ubbe

I haven't seen any .hpi files ever. Must be some ARC536 related files?
Open up that file with Notepad and see what it looks like.

/Ubbe

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I haven't seen any .hpi files ever. Must be some ARC536 related files?
/Ubbe

I use ARC and Sentinel for most of my programming and a little Proscan. I search my computer for HPI files and found none. So I'm curious about those. Perhaps they are hidden and a Windows Explorer search won't see them.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
OP uses ARC536. Hpd file names have a fixed format and you can not change those names. That will cause issues in the scanner. Instead you can use the fav names editor in ARC536 or manually change the .cfg file contents in notepad.

Gommert

Butel Software

Ok. My issue is when I want to open a list in ARC536, it opens the folder that has all the favorite lists in it that are f_0001.hpd, f_0002.hpd, etc. So far, I have 32 different lists! So if I was able to change these to what I have named the list, like maybe f_10_OKC_Rural.hpd, that would help me to pick the right file when I open it. I have assigned Quick Key 10 to this list, that’s what the “10” is for.

Of course, when I use Sentinal, it shows the name I have assigned to the list (OKC Rural) and not the file name (f_0010.hpd, in this case)

But if it will cause issues, then I won’t mess with it.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Just use ProScan and you don't have to deal with that problem.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You don't want to rename those files. While it will make it easier for you, it will give the scanner a problem because it can no longer find the file(s) it is expecting.

Another option is to use your Windows Explorer and look for a file called f_list.cfg which should be in the same folder as your hpd files. The f_list.cfg file can be opened with a text editor such as Notepad. You will be able to see which hpd file corresponds to a given Favorites List.

As mentioned above, using Proscan will also do the trick - it "opens" that f_list.cfg file where you can select the desired Favorites List file (as in the hpd file).

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
How much is it?

I always advise to try the 30 day free demo / trial before purchase.

BTW no files are renamed. However the Favorites Names can be renamed like the others.

Last edited:

fenderblue

I have 7 digital units using Freescan and sentinel and have learned to use it with a lot of headache sometimes. Is the ProScan a better deal. Can you download it and keep Freescan and Sentinel or do you eliminate. Is it a lifetime fee.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Can you download it and keep Freescan and Sentinel or do you eliminate. Is it a lifetime fee.

No need to eliminate software. Licenses are lifetime. You will need to keep Sentinel for firmware updates, profile editing, and for updating the Uniden database.

Here is what ProScan can do that I believe Sentinel can't. This covers the database only. ProScan has many more features that are non database related. I always advise to try the 30 day fully functional demo/trial.

• Multiple Favorites on the same tree which makes it easy to Copy & Paste and Drag & Drop systems.
  • Find Duplicates
  • Find & Replace
  • Import from RRDB directly. RR subscription required
  • Import Win Clipboard
  • Versatile Sorting options
  • Google Maps showing all the systems on a web page
  • Export nicely formatted web page showing any or all (user selectable) the FQK's, SQK's, Number Tags, and systems
I'm sure I missed a few things but this is off the top of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.