trouble figuring out scan list for 197

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalan57

Premium Subscriber
i have watched videos and read manuals but i cannot figure out how to put different counties in different banks/channels/scan list..whatever the term is..i want to place a county in number 1...and a different county in #2 and be able to switch one on and off when needed...i have tried to put one in scanlist #1...then when i try to put different in scan list #2 it doesn't work...what am i doing wrong?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
i have watched videos and read manuals but i cannot figure out how to put different counties in different banks/channels/scan list..whatever the term is..i want to place a county in number 1...and a different county in #2 and be able to switch one on and off when needed...i have tried to put one in scanlist #1...then when i try to put different in scan list #2 it doesn't work...what am i doing wrong?
Are you programming with software? If so, which program?

When you say you want to put a second county in scanlist 2, and 'it doesn't work', are you doing this via the import option of your software?
If this is happening using software & importing the system from the database, by 'does not work' are you saying that your second import session will not go to scanlist 2, but, perhaps, also goes to scanlist 1?

For imports, or objects added manually through the keypad, the new items, conventional and trunked system talkgroups, will go to the default scanlist. Unless you change it, the default is scanlist 1.

I generally use Win500. If importing a number of systems in a session, I go ahead and do all my imports, which results in them being in list 1. But when I'm done, I go to the 'All Objects' tab. From there, I can highlight a group of items, trunked as well as conventional, then uncheck their assignment to list 1 and instead select a different list for that group. I find it easier to re-sort after the import process is completed, rather than changing the "default" list before every import batch is processed. Just be sure that each object is assigned to a list. Otherwise, if you have unassigned talkgroup ID's, you'll get the pesky "Heap Error".

dalan57

Premium Subscriber
not using software.....i am pretty good at doing it by hand..but just can't figure this out and i don't see instructions anywhere...ex. i want to put clinton county on one channel/bank...and fayette county in another..then be able to monitor only fayette by turning clinton off..or vice versa

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
not using software.....i am pretty good at doing it by hand..but just can't figure this out and i don't see instructions anywhere...ex. i want to put clinton county on one channel/bank...and fayette county in another..then be able to monitor only fayette by turning clinton off..or vice versa
program one county into scan list 1 and the other into scan list 2. when you start scanning you should see 1 and 2 at the top of the screen. that indicates that both lists are active and being scanned. to deactivate either list press its corresponding number on the keypad. fir example, press 1 to turn off county 1, press 1 again to turn it back on.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
When you pgm so called "Bank2" make sure when you start with the "*" asterisk is on....If its not it will land in so called "Bank1".....There Scanlists that look like banks....

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
Everything you program into the scanner goes into scanlist "1" by default. Make your life easier and program the scanner with some software. Theirs all kinds out there that will work with the 197.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
When you program an object, there is a field for scanlist. make sure the one(s) you want is on and the others are off. When manually programming you can have an object be a member of multiple scanlists.

Again, scanlists are assigned to objects and an object can have multiple scanlists. It is the reverse of what older scanners did where you programmed a 'channel' into a bank. with the 197 you select which 'bank or scanlist' a 'channel' will be in. This is true when programming manually or via software. The nice thing is you do not have to duplicate objects to have them in multiple 'banks'.

Last edited:

dalan57

Premium Subscriber
scanlists

I think I understand what everyone is saying...I do make sure the asterisk is on scan list 2...but when i go to put in the new freqs. the ones i put in on scanlist 1 comes up..if i type over them i lose those freqs

sopranosno1

When i get home this evening i may have a paper i will post with step by step for trunk and conventional

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
dalan57-

Each time you put in a new object you need to select the scanlist. you also need to 'deselect' or make sure the ones you don't want are 'off'.

Status
Not open for further replies.