FleetNet - Fonthill Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

6DIAW

I noticed today that Fonthill tower has associated TG's from Ontario central region OPP to various MOH TGs from Simcoe, York, Cambridge. Wellington county OPP is also on this tower. Does anyone know why such far reaching TG's are on this tower?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
You are probably listening to the Edgar tower. Fonthill and Edgar share channels and conditions are enhanced right now.

ATCTech

They certainly are, I monitored Gatehouse in Zone 2 for the first time around sunrise this morning. Also, Wingham on 143.070 was in and out plus the 'usual' relative rarities in Zone 2 to the north and northeast of Toronto.

mciupa

I sometimes have problems with Niagara as one of their frequencies happens to match South Simcoe PS. I'll have to move it along from time to time.

I keep towers from Niagara Falls to Pontypool in a Local Folder. I made a Distant towers folder with Kincardine, Goderich, Woodstock, Wiarton and Edgar.

I'm able to pick off Woodstock from TO. It's nice to hear Oxford County or any West Region OPP for that matter from here.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
"Record" for me was picking up Sarnia from Toronto.

Aylmer for me.

Foothill has 2 things going for it. It is near water. Signals can cross over the lake well. I'm also guessing it's on a hill...lol.

Routinely get Halton Ems affiliating.

When I first moved here from exile in Montreal I remember driving down the 401 around Kingston, Belleville. Montreal has horrible radio stations, but the rock station was 97.7 CHOM FM.

So me and my roomate to be switched on the radio and 97.7 was already saved in my car stereo. Rock and Roll!! Nothing like the lame stuff on Montreal rock stations. Kept the signal all the way into Toronto. Was surprised to learn that this station was in St. Kitts!

It was 1993 and my scanners at the time were 60 channel radio shack and a Uniden 100 or something. I figured that the water was the reason that the signal carried all the way to past Kingston EB.

All we knew about Toronto radio was Q107, the Fan 1410, CFRB so this was a nice surprise.

Still prefer 97.7 or Buffalo 96.9 and I absolutely hate Q107. WTH happened? The Spoons, Duran Duran? Ogh

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Also just noticed this past week - I'm not sure what tower I was picking up but I was in Orillia (so Penetang or Edgar probably), but I was picking up Toronto, North Grey, Middlesex and Wellington. It would be interesting to see what regional limitations BMR has set for talkgroups.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Foothill has 2 things going for it. It is near water. Signals can cross over the lake well. I'm also guessing it's on a hill...lol.

Routinely get Halton Ems affiliating.

The Fonthill site provides better coverage in a lot of Halton Region than any other site. Especially along the "bend" by Oakville.

Last edited by a moderator:

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
The Fonthill site provides better coverage in a lot of Halton Region than any other site. Especially along the "bend" by Oakville.

Yup. It sure does. I live 9 stories up in a building below the Escarpment in Aldershot. My antennas face Hamilton and I can see out towards Grimsby. I can't for the like of me figure out why this is so hard and almost impossible to receive. If I go to my friends apartment on the same floor but who faces both east Hamilton and the lake I get Foothill well with a normal antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.