Optimizing BCD996P2 for Loudoun County P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicmary

Premium Subscriber
Good day to you all! As the title states I'm currently listening to Loudoun County's P25 Phase II system with a BCD996P2 and a 13dBi 900 MHz yagi. I'm attempting to tune my setup to get the best possible outcome in regards to P25 threshold and antenna direction.

Just some info for you guys to help:
Coordinates: 38°55'13.1"N 77°33'38.4"W (Aldie, VA near Gum Spring/Braddock)
Community is comprised of mostly three-story townhouses
Large power transmission lines directly behind my house

Antenna usually points at about 240° SW.

P25 threshold is currently set on AUTO and bounces between 8, 9, and 13 with voltages ranging between 1.31 and 1.99

When transmissions do come in I usually have an error rate of around 20-40 though this varies.

Finally, I'm locked in on their primary control frequency of 853.9125 MHz.

If anyone near me has any suggestions it would greatly appreciated, thanks!

freqhopping

Not far from my sister. When I'm visiting I have no issues with my BCD325P2 or BCD436HP. I use the Radio Shack 800mhz antenna. Try an omni-directional antenna or pointing your yagi towards Ashburn.

magicmary

Premium Subscriber
Not far from my sister. When I'm visiting I have no issues with my BCD325P2 or BCD436HP. I use the Radio Shack 800mhz antenna. Try an omni-directional antenna or pointing your yagi towards Ashburn.

This seems to have helped the signal strength as now I am getting five constantly but still not hearing much in the way of transmissions. Is it possible that this system just isn't that busy?

Below is a picture of my temporary setup, later this weekend I plan to go get some PVC and make a proper mount.

https://imgur.com/a/JYzEC

freqhopping

Do you have all the channels enabled in the scan rotation? If so it's rare for more than a few minutes to pass without any comms from LCSO, FD or Leesburg PD.

Lots of activity today with a parade and other stuff happening in Sterling, and the FD activities.

magicmary

Premium Subscriber
Seemed to work some of it out by closing the squelch to 2 and setting the P25 Threshold to Level 7. Aiming the antenna at Ashburn helped me receive a strong signal as well. Now I just need to hash out some of the garbled audio. Talk group 4000 is being received but it sounds like digital noise. Interestingly, that talk group doesn't appear to be legit as it doesn't show on the Loudoun County RR site.

freqhopping

4000 and 4001 are encrypted and thus not officially identified. I believe they are for the adult detention center based on the radio IDs.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Berkeley Co WV using a yagi pointed at of the towers (don't remember which one). Using my 436HP with the squelch on zero and the threshold set to 5. Unless there is really bad weather, I get a good signal. Right now the signal is improving due to leaves falling.

I did have to use LMR400 to get everything to work right.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.