Yaesu: Yaesu VX-6R problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I have a Yaesu VX-6R which has been sitting for awhile so I charged it up turn it on was working fine. A few minutes later the squelch open on all channels will not close no matter what setting you put the squelch on. The radio will TX and RX the squelch will not close. when I change modes Am its quiet, FM shows 1 bar and WFM it shows several bar. Anyone else had this problem?

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
It may be a failure of the the narrow-band 450kHz ceramic filter. One test for this is to tune the VX-6 to a local FM radio broadcast station. This will use wide-band FM mode which does not use the narrow-band ceramic filter. If you can receive FM radio stations OK then the problem is likely the narrow-band ceramic filter. Yaesu sells replacement ceramic filters for under a dollar each (plus shipping) but the installation labor is somewhat involved. The Yaesu P/N for this filter is: H3900572A "CERAMIC FILTER LTM450FW-A".

Here are a few sites that explain the problem and show the repair process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=MFyehZ2hg1I&app=desktop
Benjamin Koe: YAESU VX-6R Ceramic Filter Replacement
Yaesu VX-series sensitivity issue repair

Steve Simpkin, KI6ZWR

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
Just tried FM broadcast and its working fine. I can RX on FM but you can not close the squelch. Also it does not do it right away. It takes 30-50 seconds. I have it on the local police right now and it's rx just can't shut the squelch up.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
It may be a failure of the the narrow-band 450kHz ceramic filter. One test for this is to tune the VX-6 to a local FM radio broadcast station. This will use wide-band FM mode which does not use the narrow-band ceramic filter. If you can receive FM radio stations OK then the problem is likely the narrow-band ceramic filter. Yaesu sells replacement ceramic filters for under a dollar each (plus shipping) but the installation labor is somewhat involved. The Yaesu P/N for this filter is: H3900572A "CERAMIC FILTER LTM450FW-A".

Here are a few sites that explain the problem and show the repair process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=MFyehZ2hg1I&app=desktop
Benjamin Koe: YAESU VX-6R Ceramic Filter Replacement
Yaesu VX-series sensitivity issue repair

Steve Simpkin, KI6ZWR

Yup that is what its doing. Don't know if I will fix it and too much to send to yaesu and I just cant see that little stuff very good any more. I have other HT's thanks for the trouble shoot you were a big help! 73 KB9HGI

fdarehs

Yaesu abandons hams on known ceramic filter issue

I too experienced a failure of my seldom used YAESU VX-6. The joke is that I used the hell out of my sub $100.00 HTs and kept the VX-6 aside for critical applications which never came up. One day, turned the unit on to test battery and experienced the open squelch issue in Wide Band Mode. Performed numerous resets and later found YAESU had known issues with failed ceramic filters.

Now have a seldom used failed VX-6 with a pile of expensive accessories. USA Yaesu's poor reputation for repairs keeps me from sending it in. Will never buy another Yaesu product.

gschmitz

Premium Subscriber
Yaesu Repair

I sent in an FT-897D for a ceramic filter repair. Very reasonable, 3 week turn around. I'm happy with Yaesu repair.

AA4TX

To be honest, this problem was seen across many manufactures. I have repaired Motorola, Yaesu, Kenwood Commercial,Kenood amateur, Standard Horizon, Vertex, and Icom radios for this same issue. It boils down to one manufacturer/date range of filter, so it is not really fair to blame one radio manufacture. All used this brand of filter, and all used the filter in the same circuit, with pretty much the same steering circuit components. If you open the filter after removal, you will see the same green substance. It is an easy fix, if you can identify the filter, and have standard board level repair skills. If not, the manufacture or other repair facility can easily repair it. The CCR’s arrived later than the manufacture date of the problematic radios, or they would be susceptible to this problem as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.