BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Not Receiving DTRS in Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Last Friday, while passing through Atlanta enroute to Alabama, I switched on the Quick Key for one of the P25 trunked systems (DeKalb Co Fire) I have programmed in my 996P2. NOTHING! Not even receiving the active control channel! Next, I tried the Atlanta Fire P25 system - same thing - NOTHING! Once I got to my destination, the Alabama First Responder Network (AFRN) in Opelika, AL came in loud and clear.

I tried all my programmed P25 trunked systems in the Metro Atlanta area and couldn't receive anything. Not even the active control channel on each system. I've checked every system for the obvious - lockouts, correct control channels, everything I can think of! And I've been doing this for 40 years even though I know sometimes it's not how experienced you are because it's typically something obvious I've overlooked. BTW, I used FreeScan to program the systems. May switch over and try using ProScan.

Anybody got a suggestion?

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636 (GMRS)

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Follow-up Question: Could the fact that I don't have a BAND PLAN assigned to these P25 trunking systems cause the reception issue?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Follow-up Question: Could the fact that I don't have a BAND PLAN assigned to these P25 trunking systems cause the reception issue?
The band plan would not have anything to do with it on the P25 systems. The needed information is carried in the control channel data stream, and auto-populates the band plan parameters for the system.

As far as why you were not receiving the Atlanta systems when in range, I'd hate to guess without seeing the file you used. As you noted, it's likely something simple, that somehow got overlooked or entered correctly, which all of us have done at one time or another. Since it affected more than one system I'd guess that something in the import process via FreeSCAN went haywire, but without comparing the file data in FreeSCAN with what's shown in the RR database, that's just a shot in the dark.

Long shot: I seem to recall one time when I imported a P25 system in FreeSCAN, but it imported, for some unknown reason, as a Motorola Type II. Take a look at the system types shown in FreeSCAN. I have imported other systems that were created correctly, no issues, but somehow, that one misfired. Couldn't tell whether that was the software's fault, or a user error.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, HIEGTX!!

I know I asked a difficult question for someone else to answer because unless you can look at the file, scanner, etc., you can't really see the many elements, any one of which could cause a problem. I think I'll simply reload those systems and see if it corrects the problem.

HAPPY SCANNING IN DALLAS!

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
"Just North of ATL"
WQIT636 (GMRS)

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The band plan would not have anything to do with it on the P25 systems. The needed information is carried in the control channel data stream, and auto-populates the band plan parameters for the system.

Since he couldn't hear any control channels, it most likely wouldn't be a bandplan problem.

However, not every P25 system broadcasts the bandplan on the control channel. Here's a link to an Aeroflex paper on the subject: http://www.qsl.net/kb9mwr/projects/dv/apco25/P25ControlChannelFunctions.pdf

We had a local system that stopped broadcasting bandplans for a couple of weeks while the techs did some work on the system. The bandplan had to be manually entered in order to follow the system.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Not Receiving SELECT P25 Systems

Here we go again.......

Had occasion to travel thru Atlanta and west Georgia this weekend. Once again, my 996P2 failed to begin scanning on Metro Atlanta P25 systems (Atlanta, DeKalb, Cobb, Fulton Co). I could stop the scanner on the active control channel and it would display the System ID and active talkgroup(s) but would not detect the active control channel while in SCAN mode. At the same time, the Alabama First Responder Network (AFRN), Birmingham/Jefferson P25 systems functioned just fine. To make this even more like voodoo, before the trip, I programmed my 325P2 with the exact SAME program file from ProScan and it scanned ALL the P25 systems without failure. I've been doing this almost 40 years and have examined EVERY detail about the programming and the file that I can possibly think of and still cannot figure out why my 996P2 is failing to follow on SCAN certain P25 DTRS.

It makes it more difficult that I really can't test any changes until the next time I travel to the Atlanta area. I'm open to ANY suggestions anyone on here may have. I can't believe that my scanner is selectively failing on only a handful of systems. I'll be glad to email anyone my ProScan file for you to examine if that would help. Just provide me an email address.

THANKS SO MUCH!
Mike
Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636 (GMRS)

Status
Not open for further replies.