What is this radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
At approx. 37 minutes and 2 seconds of this video you can see some type of radio sitting on a metal cabinet. It almost looks like a 396XT scanner to me, but the picture is a bit grainy. Any ideas what that is?

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
You got it, I think

I believe you guessed it correctly. Looks very much like the 396.

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
If you stop the video around the 3 second mark right before it changes screens it gets a little clearer. It looks like a 396T instead of the XT. Look at he grid across the speaker.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
So, why would they have a scanner at a police facility, when presumably they have tons of real radios laying around? To monitor surrounding agencies perhaps?

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
So, why would they have a scanner at a police facility, when presumably they have tons of real radios laying around? To monitor surrounding agencies perhaps?

Not sure about the radio situation out there, but they're likely using single band radios. Scanners are great at what they do, scanning many frequencies/bands/systems quickly. Actual radios typically aren't so great at doing that. Quite a number of agencies use scanners for this reason.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Scanner in police facility

This would not be uncommon in areas where different bands were in use. I have seen patrol cars that had scanners to keep track of what was happening outside of their jurisdiction area. Before 800 mhz, many of the counties in my state used the frequencies in the 150 mhz band, but the state police were on the 46 mhz band.

DJ11DLN

This would not be uncommon in areas where different bands were in use. I have seen patrol cars that had scanners to keep track of what was happening outside of their jurisdiction area. Before 800 mhz, many of the counties in my state used the frequencies in the 150 mhz band, but the state police were on the 46 mhz band.
Same as I have noticed, most PD cars had a scanner in them back when I was still involved, and there were 3 scanners in the "Dispatch Office" back then. Very useful to hear was is going on around the area. Often good for a heads-up prior to getting a call for assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.