thinking about buying a BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris8585

i am wanting a new scanner and the BCD436HP has caught my attention. I am in the knoxville tn area. looks like will work good for the police and fire and stuff. but i was wondering about some other things. like the local utilities company, KUB? and i was also wondering how it would do in sevierville tn, on picking up "dollywood"? it says they uses a ltr standard system? i tried it years ago with an old radio shack scanner but couldn't get much. with the built in programming, can things like the kub and dollywood be easily listened too by a novice radio operator? is there anybody in my area using this radio and can give an opinion? is really as simple as entering a zip code, and being able to pick up what ever is available for where you are? thanks!! chris

Hit_Factor

I had a 436 and sold it for two home patrol 2 scanners. Easy to see color touchscreen and super easy programming. No regrets. I only listen to Police freqs.

The 436 was hard to see and difficult to program. It's far more capable than I want to be.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Not sure why you think the 436 is difficult to program, given that the HomePatrol scanners use a version of Sentinel that isn't all that different than the x36 version.

The 436 has more of a learning curve than the HomePatrol, but it also has a better receiver. Both scanners have free weekly database updates sourced from radioreference. The 436 also has upgrades available to monitor DMR and ProVoice systems not available for the HomePatrol.

Last edited:

MarsIsWaiting

I'm going to back what the above post says. I've had both the 436 and the HP-2. I just returned my HP-2 to Amazon and I'm going back to the 436. It's a better receiver, and while the learning curve is a little more, you will be happier with it. Besides, the 436 has the option for DMR upgrading while the HP-2 doesn't. I wish I had known that before I tried the HP-2.

scannersnstuff

I finally bought a 436. Don't regret it. The "ear's" seem to be on a par with my bcd396xt. It has a lot of bell's and whistle's.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Asleep At The Wheel

I'm going to back what the above post says. I've had both the 436 and the HP-2. I just returned my HP-2 to Amazon and I'm going back to the 436. It's a better receiver, and while the learning curve is a little more, you will be happier with it. Besides, the 436 has the option for DMR upgrading while the HP-2 doesn't. I wish I had known that before I tried the HP-2.

Yes, I could not agree more with you. I, for one, don't want another Garmin-looking device hanging from my windshield. I want more control over what goes into the radio and I prefer making custom programmings which is wonderful. The linear simulcast distortion is horrible with the GRE/Whistler products I've experienced or considered buying. Mind you, I was a GRE man at one time.

Initially, I had difficulty understanding the Favorite memory structure, but now, I have managed to make it work for me. This radio handles P25 decoding much better than my PSR 500. I think Whistler should change their name to honor Texas Swing, "Asleep At The Wheel."

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Great Purchase

I finally bought a 436. Don't regret it. The "ear's" seem to be on a par with my bcd396xt. It has a lot of bell's and whistle's.

Take that boy on the road with you. Buy the GPS package. If you decide to buy the GPS function, remember, the entire package contains everything you need. If one of the cables goes south, you can actually replace that portion of the cable structure. Remember, the external speaker jack is 3.5 mm, stereo. I bought the Uniden amplified speaker. It works great in cheap-quality Japanese vehicles like my Toyota.
Uniden has my vote!

Last edited:

bee

I have the 436. 536. and the Home Patrol 2. I prefer the Home Patrol 2.

I know it cannot receive Po Voice or DMR, but there is not much of that in United States.

The large screen is one reason, and it is easier to program, for me.

I have a GPS, for all three.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I know it cannot receive Po Voice or DMR, but there is not much of that in United States.

Wrong. DMR is probably 50% of the traffic I listen to. And DMR is becoming more common all the time.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
... is there anybody in my area using this radio and can give an opinion? is really as simple as entering a zip code, and being able to pick up what ever is available for where you are? thanks!! chris

I think I would ask this question in the Tennessee Forum here on RadioReference (welcome to RR, buy the way). TN is a state that has some encryption/ or systems that can't be monitored by a scanner (particularly in Sevier, as you are interested in). The good news is, it does look like your area is scanner friendly. I would still recommend your Tennessee forum to make sure you are not disappointed in what your scanner could receive, however.

As for the 436, I would say buy it if you think it sounds like a good fit for you. I have one and love it. As previously stated, there is a learning curve. My suggestion would be read up on it, as well as the computer software (Sentinel) and ask questions here. You will get the hang of it if you decide to go with it.

Good luck!

DCHarris

Several Fire and EMS services in my area of SC are going to or have already gone to NXDN. Hope Uniden comes out with this upgrade soon.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Several Fire and EMS services in my area of SC are going to or have already gone to NXDN. Hope Uniden comes out with this upgrade soon.
Whistler introduced NXDN shortly after Uniden released their so-called flagship scanners (x36HP). I would hope they would include NXDN in any future releases, whenever that may be, along with better simulcast decode.

Status
Not open for further replies.