PHX PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEReAZ

Premium Subscriber
quick question
what is central 500 B, i hear traffic being dispatch out on central 500 A.
(hear some officer say they were gonna take their traffic back Bravo. of Central 500 dispatch knowledge the traffic
hope this make sense) this was all on Central 500 A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phoenix805

All of the Phoenix PD precincts have 3 (or 4) talk groups, A (Alpha) B (Bravo), and C (Charlie). C is the emergency talk group and is always encrypted. Traffic is generally run on either A or B. As far as I know I think they use one or the other but not both. I assumed the extra talk group was a backup for things like heavy traffic or radio maintenance, or future growth, etc. but don't know for sure. It sounds like 500 was using both talk groups when you were listening. Maybe they had a special project going on like DUI enforcement or checkpoint.

A few of the precincts also have a D talk group. I have no idea what that's for.

HEReAZ

Premium Subscriber
All of the Phoenix PD precincts have 3 (or 4) talk groups, A (Alpha) B (Bravo), and C (Charlie). C is the emergency talk group and is always encrypted. Traffic is generally run on either A or B. As far as I know I think they use one or the other but not both. I assumed the extra talk group was a backup for things like heavy traffic or radio maintenance, or future growth, etc. but don't know for sure. It sounds like 500 was using both talk groups when you were listening. Maybe they had a special project going on like DUI enforcement or checkpoint.

A few of the precincts also have a D talk group. I have no idea what that's for.

thanks for clear that up for me.

KB7MIB

I think all of the precincts have a Neighborhood Enforcement Team that operates on the encrypted D-deck, along with other detective squads.
As I understand it, the NET helps to saturate neighborhoods that may be experiencing an uptick in crimes.
Otherwise, they just provide extra manpower to patrol.

John
Peoria

HEReAZ

Premium Subscriber
I think all of the precincts have a Neighborhood Enforcement Team that operates on the encrypted D-deck, along with other detective squads.
As I understand it, the NET helps to saturate neighborhoods that may be experiencing an uptick in crimes.
Otherwise, they just provide extra manpower to patrol.

John
Peoria

thank you for the info.

JohnSpartan

Premium Subscriber
According to multiple patrol officers with PhxPD, B deck is only used as-needed. Most of them are in the clear. They were used heavily at the start of the RWC system, but the advent of the additional talk groups in other decks, their use was dropped off. As other have stated, B is used for overflow traffic, and there is no specific procedure on when to use it. One officer, in the 600 area said an office can request it as a talk channel, or an incident that isn't too sensitive can be moved there.

Regarding NET - yes each PCT does have D channel, and that's exactly what it's used for. The NET teams aren't dedicated (from what I was told) to one specific PCT, they can roam as needed.

HEReAZ

Premium Subscriber
According to multiple patrol officers with PhxPD, B deck is only used as-needed. Most of them are in the clear. They were used heavily at the start of the RWC system, but the advent of the additional talk groups in other decks, their use was dropped off. As other have stated, B is used for overflow traffic, and there is no specific procedure on when to use it. One officer, in the 600 area said an office can request it as a talk channel, or an incident that isn't too sensitive can be moved there.

Regarding NET - yes each PCT does have D channel, and that's exactly what it's used for. The NET teams aren't dedicated (from what I was told) to one specific PCT, they can roam as needed.

sweet thanks for the info

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I am very familiar with the NET guys, spent months working closely with them on closing a drug house, and know a few personally. Most are dedicated (full time) detectives, what (relatively) few there are left that is. Many of these highly trained, experienced, and specialized officers were put back in patrol cars because we were nearly a thousand officers short, because Phoenix would rather pay for trains, new museums and parks, and line the pockets of sports teams, than pay overtime for officers or hire officers when they needed to, years ago. The fugitive apprehension unit was completely disbanded and put into patrol cars. The drug enforcement bureau was disbanded. I know of several really great detectives who were put back in patrol cars, and it's a real disgrace. PPD is now hiring, and playing catch-up, but we have out of control heroin and meth problems and all of the crime that goes with that, and there is a lot of catching up to do.

Right now the 900 NET guys spend most nights cleaning up the area around GCU, because GCU has donated money to the right causes and persuaded the right people. 900, which is a huge precinct, has no NET squad much of the time, because they are tied up at GCU, and because the 93 NET team was completely disbanded and put back in patrol cars. Another example of the poor management at the top of PPD, and the City of Phoenix.

Yeah, they mostly use D deck, unless they are coordinating with other agencies where you can occasionally here them in the clear on inter-op talk groups, often on the South Mountain site.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of PHX PD - can anyone point me to a list of unit numbers/callsigns/designations? And the same for any other departments around the valley would be equally appreciated. Thank you!

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Net squad guys are "Xray" units. 92 Xray would be the sergeant for the 92 area, and his guys would have calls signs like 923 Xray...for example. The same naming convention applies to the other precincts as well (81 Xray would be the sergeant for 82 area of 800.

Since PPD is so short-handed, the NET guys are often told by their sergeants to pull off of assignment and answer priority calls when there aren't enough units to respond, so you will hear them handling such calls at times.

HEReAZ

Premium Subscriber
thanks to all who help with the info. you guys are very informative and stuff
thx

Phoenix805

Speaking of PHX PD - can anyone point me to a list of unit numbers/callsigns/designations? And the same for any other departments around the valley would be equally appreciated. Thank you!

I have a lot of detailed info that might answer your question, but it's in Arizona and I'm in Ohio right now. :) I'll be back in about a week and if I don't forget I'll post it. If you don't see anything by the 4th, you can assume I forgot. :( Just repost your request and it will get my attention again.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Meant to say above that 81 Xray would be sergeant of the 81 area of 800 BTW...typo.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
I have a lot of detailed info that might answer your question, but it's in Arizona and I'm in Ohio right now. :) I'll be back in about a week and if I don't forget I'll post it. If you don't see anything by the 4th, you can assume I forgot. :( Just repost your request and it will get my attention again.

Thanks! I'm a retired Denver cop.... worked on a few radio projects back in the old days.

Phoenix805

I found the info I was thinking of. Some of it's straight forward, some is confusing. I hope at least some of it is what you were looking for. (This is for the City of Phoenix, I really don't have any info on other agencies.)

Air ## - Air units are the helicopters (duh). The ## is end of shift time, ie Air 23 shift ends at 2300 hours
Charlie units are detectives
India units are gang squad
Nora units are Rapid Deployment Units - help/secure scene before SWAT arrives
Sam units are the SWAT teams
Tom units are Motorcycle/traffic units (They don't use Mary like the old Chips TV show)
Tom #00 are DUI vans (ie Tom 900 is the DUI van in the 900 precinct)
Wagon #0# are paddy wagons, the first number is the precinct, last number is the incremental unit number (ie 902 is the 2nd wagon in the 900 precinct)

The precincts are broken down into 3 zones, then each zone typically has about 5 beats
ie 900 precinct has 911-915, 921-925, and 931-935 (precinct 900, zone1, beat 5, etc.)

Each zone has a weekday manager (Lieutenant) called Area ## (ie Area 91)
Each zone has a night shift manager (Lieutenant) called Patrol ## (ie Patrol 92)

Sergeants go by ##X, ## designates the precinct/zone (ie 93) then the X is any of about 12 letters representing different squads/shifts/1 man cars/2 man cars, etc)

I hope this was at least a little helpful

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber
I found the info I was thinking of. Some of it's straight forward, some is confusing. I hope at least some of it is what you were looking for. (This is for the City of Phoenix, I really don't have any info on other agencies.)

Air ## - Air units are the helicopters (duh). The ## is end of shift time, ie Air 23 shift ends at 2300 hours
Charlie units are detectives
India units are gang squad
Nora units are Rapid Deployment Units - help/secure scene before SWAT arrives
Sam units are the SWAT teams
Tom units are Motorcycle/traffic units (They don't use Mary like the old Chips TV show)
Tom #00 are DUI vans (ie Tom 900 is the DUI van in the 900 precinct)
Wagon #0# are paddy wagons, the first number is the precinct, last number is the incremental unit number (ie 902 is the 2nd wagon in the 900 precinct)

The precincts are broken down into 3 zones, then each zone typically has about 5 beats
ie 900 precinct has 911-915, 921-925, and 931-935 (precinct 900, zone1, beat 5, etc.)

Each zone has a weekday manager (Lieutenant) called Area ## (ie Area 91)
Each zone has a night shift manager (Lieutenant) called Patrol ## (ie Patrol 92)

Sergeants go by ##X, ## designates the precinct/zone (ie 93) then the X is any of about 12 letters representing different squads/shifts/1 man cars/2 man cars, etc)

I hope this was at least a little helpful

Yes good info. Maybelline you should put It in the wiki.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
This info is in the Southwest Frequency Directory which was last published in 2009 I believe. If you can get your hands on one of these, these is a lot of good info like this that is just not published anywhere else. It is quite dated in terms of frequencies and talkgroups published, but still has a lot of great info like this which is still relevant today.

Status
Not open for further replies.