Question about a California repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1594

So I listen to other amateur radio enthusiasts on the scanner app on my phone and 147.435 Los Angeles Radio Renegades it’s called pops up I was curious about it because I saw 88 people listening and a lot of profanity and trash talking back and fourth I was surprised and no one saying call signs either. My question is doesn’t the FCC review those stations? I just passed my Technician exam and those guys were pretty much doing the opposite of what I learned lol. You would of thought you were listing to a CB band or something along those lines.

You tell me and we will both know. I don't why Broadcastify continues to carry that trash, all it does is put ham radio in a bad light to a world-wide audience

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The history of .435 goes back almost 50 years. There's a story that was published in FM magazine back in 1968 called "Chronicles of an FM Channel" that lays down the roots of what became .435 in LA today.

The FCC is aware of it, and it is allowed to exist for specific reasons. Believe it or not, it serves a useful purpose to the amateur community in Southern California.

Chris1594

The history of .435 goes back almost 50 years. There's a story that was published in FM magazine back in 1968 called "Chronicles of an FM Channel" that lays down the roots of what became .435 in LA today.

The FCC is aware of it, and it is allowed to exist for specific reasons. Believe it or not, it serves a useful purpose to the amateur community in Southern California.
I’m just surprised they allow it it doesn’t look good for us hams but that’s interesting that the station has been around for 50 years.

LCRay

So the FCC is turning a blind eye to contain this behavior to this particular repeater?
Interesting solution.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Would it be setting a precedent for others to get away with the same antics?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I’m just surprised they allow it it doesn’t look good for us hams but that’s interesting that the station has been around for 50 years.

It's roots go back about 50 years. I think the .435 frequency, along with it's antics, goes back about 40 or so.

No, it doesn't look good, but it has been good policy to just let it be.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Would it be setting a precedent for others to get away with the same antics?

Not as much as you'd think. There's a couple of repeaters like that out here on the Left Coast. We leave them alone, and they leave the rest of us alone. They're not hurting anyone, and those who don't like it can change channels.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
So the FCC is turning a blind eye to contain this behavior to this particular repeater?
Interesting solution.

I don't think it's a blind eye, so much. I suspect it's more a matter of letting it be to avoid larger problems elsewhere.

LCRay

I don't think it's a blind eye, so much. I suspect it's more a matter of letting it be to avoid larger problems elsewhere.

OK, I get it.

An outlaw repeater gang. Independent, rugged individuals.

" Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges"

Last edited:

Chris1594

I don’t know I’m just surprised that there’s a station like that out there and how it’s not really regulated

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I don’t know I’m just surprised that there’s a station like that out there and how it’s not really regulated

It's regulated more than you'd think. There are certain lines that don't seem to be crossed, and try as you might, there doesn't seem to be any rule in Part 97 that disallows much of what goes on there.

Yeah, they could get nabbed for not ID'ing or playing music, but how do you know who's not ID'ing or playing music unless they ID. DF them? Who's got the time? Profanity? Well, that's a tough one to pit against the first amendment. Probably not the hill the local FCC field engineers want to die on.

Let it leak onto other channels and generate complaints, well, then you're more likely to see some action.

The FCC considers "community standards" in defining what's profanity and what's not. In THAT particular community, the definition is pretty loose. So they don't chase after every "F" bomb that emanates from the repeater.

So, the above is all my opinion, based on 40+ years of activity in the Southern California FM "scene", discussions with OO's and FCC field personnel, and personal acquaintance of some of the players on the channel in past years.

Actually, many of those guys are quite intelligent and accomplished, and .435 is where they let their hair down, so to speak. They know it shocks people, so that 'feeds the need". It's (usually) self contained, doesn't cause problems (much) elsewhere, so it's allowed to carry on.

I don't care to listen to it, so I don't. I make that suggestion to everyone else who's offended. It's easy to not be offended by what's on the radio. Just turn it off.

wrath

This gives a dedicated repeater for all the nutbags that don't care about what we as principaled operators do , such as adhering to laws and decenty standards, reflect well on amateur radio in our professionalism and we self police our spectrum so without these dedicated sewers for these people to congregate they would be constant nuisance complaint about manning and there conduct on air and all of our repeaters constantly , so for every enjoyable QSO you have , every bit of knowledge you learn to promote good wholesome leatning learning , for all of us that have youngsters that we like to get on the air and meet or friends and developed a bond with radio so that they eventually get licensed and come unto us, for all the jamborees on the air and ever school QSO we host with the ISS , We set a greater example and set the bar of conduct higher without these outliers interfering ,so it's a tolerated sewer to keep them from over running all our spectrum.as much as it pained me to tolerate that on the left coast i know its for the greater good of our tadio eervice to let these people donthere thing radio 27nyears ago as a newly minted operator it burned my butt, but now I realize some of the above mentioned is why we need dunce cap repeaters of anti government/ estsblishmen , just let it roll your back .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so it's sort of a mental institution for hams in that it keeps them in one place.

It seems that the FCC is selective about their enforcement. If I did what they did, they'd put me so far back they'd have to pipe air to me. (I know it's civil but you get the idea.)

mule1075

Feed Provider
This subject gets brought up at least 3 times if not more a year. Let's continue to beat the dead horse.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Here are three threads from the archives about the 147.435 repeater in SoCal and its feed on Broadcastify:

https://forums.radioreference.com/a.../190769-obscene-foul-language-discussion.html

https://forums.radioreference.com/amateur-radio-general-discussion/325684-renegade-repeater.html

https://forums.radioreference.com/a...-angeles-area-147-435mhz-live-audio-feed.html

Interestingly enough, all three of those threads are closed. And, since the OP received answers to his question, so is this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.