Issues communicating digitally between two md-380s

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA8BF

Hello everybody. I feel I may be missing something here and wanted to ask for some help. I am currently staying in a very rural area where I do not have access to any UHF repeaters, which is what my two md-380s operate on. I would like to be able to communicate with the others here at the barn without having to run up to them and relay the message.

My questions is this. I have been able to get analog to work fine on simplex mode on GMRS, but I would like to be able to use digital as well. I've seen videos on the internet showing this working, but for some reason I cannot get this to work for myself with these two same exact radios working on the same updated firmware. I will however see the other radio register that it is receiving communication, but no sound will come through. I am a bit puzzled because I am at a loss at how these people are able to do this with digital.

I feel like I am missing a huge fundamental here and that I would like to just have some education on what it is that I am missing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Well digital modes aren't permitted to be on GMRS. Why do you feel like digital would be better than analog?

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Make sure they are programmed the same. They should be simplex (same TX and RX frequency), same color code, same time slot, same talk group ID, but different radio ID's and group calling.
BB

RBMTS

When you programmed the simplex channel, did you also program a talk group #, color code, and time slot? Simplex is usually TG99 with a color code of 1 and TS1. You'll need to manually set them on each radio to match.

AA8BF

I want to thank you both very much for your help. The issue was that for, digital, I had "none" selected for the programming software's option for "Contact Name" under the channel's information tab window for this frequency.

The Tytera's Programming GUI also showed TG(Talk Group) as "CALL ID" instead of TG, and that was also not set correctly to the "99" value, which I corrected.

Thank you guys very much for your help. I am not going to be using this on the digital mode from this point forward, however I did want to know why it wasn't working for me and this pretty much explains why it had seemed that I was the only magical person this wasn't working for. Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.