HDTV Directional Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jphila20

Retired LE. Honor our Fallen.
Premium Subscriber
I recently took an outdoor HD TV antenna and rotated it 90 degrees to achieve a vertical signal and attached it to a TRX-2 with pretty decent results. I’m about 30 miles from downtown Cleveland and I can receive the signal from the Justice Center of the Cleveland Police. Sometimes it comes in a little choppy but it’s the only way I can get it. They run between 851 and 856mhz.

Any thoughts on increasing the signal? I’m running RG-6QS with f to bnc adapter. Tried a VHF/UHF signal booster and it didn’t help.

Years ago I recall stacking TV antennas to increase their range. Think that would work here also?

Thanks!

JamesO

You need a quality LNA mounted at the antenna feed. The VHF/UHF signal booster probably had a very high noise figure and was not likely mounted at the antenna feed. You may also have strong FM stations nearby as well. Anything that is above about -25 dBM on FMFool.com for your address will likely need a very good FM Broadcast Band Notch Filter.

Suggest you read this thread - https://forums.radioreference.com/s...mp-10-off-december-other-useful-rx-items.html

N4ANJ

Premium Subscriber
800 mhz yagi antenna

If you really want to pull in 800 mhz get a 800 mhz yagi antenna. They are directional, have a lot of gain, and are not that big in size. You may need a N to uhf connector adapter for about $8. I got a used commercial 800 yagi here on RR shipped for $45. It looked like new. You could get a lower loss coax but RG6 is pretty good if your coax run is not too long. Good Luck. Mike

budevans

I recently took an outdoor HD TV antenna and rotated it 90 degrees to achieve a vertical signal and attached it to a TRX-2 with pretty decent results. I’m about 30 miles from downtown Cleveland and I can receive the signal from the Justice Center of the Cleveland Police. Sometimes it comes in a little choppy but it’s the only way I can get it. They run between 851 and 856mhz.

Jphila20,

Just an FYI regarding monitoring the Cleveland GCRCN simulcast system. From Southern Lorain County there are multiple GCRCN towers between your location and the Justice Center. It's most likely that you are receiving from one of those (towers) Sites.

Here's a link to the RR page with the FCC license list for Cleveland GCRCN. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=20039

Click on a license and your browser will go to a page with a Map of Cuyahoga County showing the tower locations. I believe the last two licenses will show you the closest to you.

The following towers are located on or near the Western boarder of Cuyahoga County. Westlake, Cleveland Hopkins Airport, Strongsville and North Royalton.

Hope this helps.

fredva

Feed Provider
Due to this being a simulcast system, there is a possibility that increasing the signal strength will not eliminate the choppiness. Choppiness could be caused by a weak signal, but it might also be caused by receiving signals from multiple simulcast towers that are interfering with each other. Your signal strength indicator display might give some clues - during a transmission with some choppiness, is the indicator showing a consistently weak signal or does it vary widely with some peaks near the higher end? Big swings in signal strength suggest simulcast distortion.

budevans

With Simulcast systems your best bet is to experiment with the direction you point the antenna. More signal strength isn't always the best option.

In my previous post I gave you the link to see where the towers are located. The GCRCN system has 13 or 14 towers. You should be able to make a good guess as to which direction to point the antenna from your location to isolate the closest tower. Ultimately it's a trial and error proposition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.