Need an Am aircraft monitoring antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon48

I want to pick up local Air traffic which is AM. I think this is 108 - 136 MHZ. What kind of antenna is recommended?

I'm using an AOR 8200 MK3, so BNC is preferred.

Thanks

cmdrwill

A simple one quarter wave whip antenna works very well.

A 23 inch piece of wire that will fit in a BNC connector to put on your scanner.

And the "23 inch piece of wire" does not care if it is AM, FM, CW, SSB or even P25 or DMR.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Discones make excellent airband antennas. Maybe that's why you see so many on control towers, hangars, and RCO sites.

majoco

Stirrer
I have a real genuine 100% TSO'd emergency locator whip antenna that's designed to be mounted on an aircraft skin and it's 23 and 3/8" long - design centre I suppose was 121.5MHz but I've even used on the ham 2m band and worked just OK there! Mounted on a magnetron magnet and a bit of bent galvanised steel plate.

nanZor

If you are in an rf-dense environment, where things like NOAA, 152mhz pagers, FM broadcast etc causes the front-end of your scanner to desense, then I'd heartily recommend using a duck from the aviation industry itself:

ICOM FA-BO2AR

This bnc mount duck is what is used on many of their commercial aviation line. The key is that it is narrowband for just aviation only.

When you test one of these against other antennas, marvel at the LOSS of broadcast, pager, NOAA and other out of band reception that you don't want when doing more serious portable aviation monitoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.