• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Maxtrac won't transmit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a VHF Maxtrac that will not transmit. The red light comes on when I PTT but there is NO output power at all.

Where do I go from here to fix it?

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Honestly, with the price of Maxtrac's right now your best bet is to probably buy a new one.

Probably so, but I paid only $20 for this so if it's something simple then it's worth it to me to tinker with it rather than throw it out.

The cheapest 45w 32ch Maxtrac on fleabay right now is $60-$70. Not bad, but I'd rather not put more money into another radio that might show up with the same exact issue.

cmdrwill

One of the trouble shooting tips for no transmit is to look at the radio current draw in receive and when transmitting. How much current is radio drawing on transmit?

mm

After working on Maxtracs for close to 20 years all I can suggest is to find a new working radio and save or sell off the dead TX Max as a good working receiver.

If the PA or driver is damaged then the only replacement parts that you will find are going to come from another maxtrac of the same model, this would be called a donor radio but this presents a catch22 situation for you.

If you do find a good working radio then why would you want to try to fix the dead one with parts from a good working radio?

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
If you do find yourself in the market for a new one I find it can be worth the time to scroll through some of the "I don't know anything about it" radios. I've bought a couple radios that people were selling cheap simply because they didn't know how to decode the model number.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Maxtrac is not narrowband anyway so unless you are using it for ham Transmitting on it is not legal under the narrowbanding mandate. Time to upgrade

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Maxtrac is not narrowband anyway so unless you are using it for ham Transmitting on it is not legal under the narrowbanding mandate. Time to upgrade

I completely forgot that maxtracs won't narrowband band... Man where does the time go. Seems like just yesterday that a maxtrac was the radio to have.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
If the radio is "motorboating" when you transmit, it may be that your power source may be weak, like a low-powered, or defective, power supply.

I'm pretty sure I've determined that the PA is bad. When I applied 9.6v to the P7-2 pin on the logic board I still had no power out. According to the instructions I found this verifies the PA is bad.

I'll probably just hang onto it for parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.