ID-5100A as a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

707Lineman

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,
I currently have 2 BCT15X's and I enjoy them. I'm looking for more control of my database, as in groups and whatnot. I found the ID-5100A and really like the the bigger screen and touchscreen function. I monitor everything from CHP to Calfire, ver little aircraft, and police and fire. Would this be a good one to get as a replacement? Not looking to transmit at all, just receive.

707Lineman

Premium Subscriber
I kinda figured that, both main areas I scan don't use p25 or at least not yet. I'm also concerned about scan speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I have an IC-5100 and it is a nice radio. But not only is scan speed slow, you can't receive below air band. You won't be listening to CHP with the 5100 or other dual band VHF/UHF radios in this category. Also no P25 or trunking. I have many scanners, including the BCT-15X, which as scanners perform better than any of my VHF/UHF amateur radios.

707Lineman

Premium Subscriber
I agree, I really like the BCT15X, just wish it had a bigger screen like the Icom. Would anybody know of an scanner that has a big screen like that? Been looking but it seems only the VHF/UHF radios have them :(

Token

CHP does now

And has since 2012 or 2013, but that is primarily for their 700 MHz extenders I think, and the 400 MHz stuff. The VHF-Lo is still analog. The OP list his location as Texas, from there all he is going to hear from CHP is the VHF-Lo. If he is actually in or travels through CA then the extenders have some use.

T!

707Lineman

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I was aware of that. I'm from Northern California where they primarily use the VHF/Low. Hardly ever hear any activity on the extender frequencies. Yes i currently live in Texas but only listen to CHP when in Northern California. I would love to hear CHP from Texas and currently use Scanner 5-0 app I believe it is.

Token

Yes, I was aware of that. I'm from Northern California where they primarily use the VHF/Low. Hardly ever hear any activity on the extender frequencies. Yes i currently live in Texas but only listen to CHP when in Northern California. I would love to hear CHP from Texas and currently use Scanner 5-0 app I believe it is.

The ID5100 is not going to receive the 700 MHz extender frequencies anyway, so it does not matter if CHP uses P25 on those. CHP does use P25 in some areas on 460 MHz. Border and Coastal regions for sure have some, probably LA? I do not think Northern has any P25 going on, at least it did not the last time I spent any time up there.

Of course every division has the P25 460 MHz stuff available to them, but it is most active in specific areas.

If you are near a CHP office there can be some 460 MHz P25 also.

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.